Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thanks.

She began her career in Vaudeville and on Broadway. She worked with Ethel Barrymore. On the screen she portrayed the cruel nemesis to the lead in 2 classic films. She also played a socialite in another classic film. She was a Queen in an adventure film. Who was this actress?

When I read the question, I knew it sounded familiar. Then I remembered that I had posted about this actress some time ago in the thread we had about supporting actresses, grandmothers, and aunts. I believe it's Mary Nash. She was mean to little Shirley Temple in "Heidi" and "The Little Princess". She played Katherine Hepburn's mother in "The Philadelphia Story" and she was a queen in "Cobra Woman". I didn't know about her work with Ethel Barrymore.

Yes Edthye that's going to happen around here. The longer you are here, you'll see duplicates that posters either didn't see before or forgot about. I'd say in the almost 4 years I've been here, many questions have been repeated I didn't see your question, and your answer is Correct. Mary Nash. It's now your turn.

Lavender, do I look like Edythe? I feel like the Rodney Dangerfield of the message boards, no respect. Well, not quite. We'll leave that distinction to finance. Now, speaking of duplicates, here's one that I think we may have had some time ago.

Do you know me? I'm a veteran character actor who started in silent movies. I have the distinction of having played Little John in three Robin Hood movies. I also have a famous relative who is well known to the baby boom generation. Do you know me?

Miles dearest, not ever having the pleasure of seeing you or Edythe, don't know about the resemblaance! LOL. sorry about that. finance upset me so much yesterday that I was careless in checking your post. I do apoligize. As far as the question goes, Alan Hale was in *Robin Hood*, *The Adventures Of Robin Hood* and *Roques of Sherwood Forest* . Alan Hale, Jr (later just known as Alan Hale) his son was of course Skipper in Gilligan's Island a staple in baby boomers homes. ????????

I was a well-known Broadway actress in seriously challenging roles; so I was twice nominated for the Tony and actually won one once.

But my greatest achievement was to win the Oscar, as a supporting actress, for my very first film.

I am__________________?

Fi--I'm not aware of Eva Marie Saint being a Broadway star or winning a Tony: my actress did both.

Also the actress in question never became a Movie Star on the level of Miss Saint. She was a character actress.

Hint: This actress studied at the Actor's Studio. She co-starred in very big movies with Clark Gable, Susan Hayward and Raymond Massey.

Lav--Jo Van Fleet in "East of Eden" is one of the most memorable performances by a supporting actress in Hollywood History. I wish she had made more movies. But, as you know, she played a very similar strong role opposite Susan Hayward in "I'll Cry Tommorrow".

Lav--Carry on!

Thanks. The scene when Jo Van Fleet tries to stop Susan Hayward from going out to buy booze, to me is one of the most heart wrenching on film. She nailed the part of the mother, no one could have done it better.

next one:

This actor was typecast as a villian much of the time. He's not hard to spot. Tall and very thin. He's played a Hitchcock villian and another ex. would be in a recently shown film on TCM. He was born in Scotland. Who he?

I'm guessing Anthony Dawson.

1. Born in Edinburgh.

2. Worked in *Dial M. For Murder* for Hitchcock.

3. Made three of the James Bond flicks, in two of them playing the supervillian Blofeld, and one of those uncredited. I'm guessing it was that one, *Thunderball* in which only his hands were seen.

???

• 2 weeks later...

I am the son of a very famous artist...I lived in Hollywood for sometime. I directed a critically acclaimed film about growing up in India. At first, the well known author didn't want her book to be filmed because she hated or didn't like the movie adaptation of her previous book, although the movie was a success and also critically acclaimed. It even won two Oscars, one for art direction and one for cinematography, although it was mostly filmed in the Hollywood backlot.

However, with the help of the American producer, she consented and became close friends with my wife in the process. The second movie was filmed and is one of my signature titles..

Who am I? Who was the author? What were the two movies or books mentioned above ?...And by the way, who was my father ?

Edited by: mudskipper on Apr 21, 2012 9:24 PM

Edited by: mudskipper on Apr 21, 2012 9:25 PM

The director has to be Jean Renoir--the son of the great impressionist painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir.

His greatest film is the pre-World War II classic, La Regle de jeu.

You have to be referring to an obscur film called "The River", a foreign-made film based on a somewhat autobiographical novel by Rumer Godden. She was best known for the novel, "The Black Narcissus", which also became a movie.