Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Correct on all counts, Cujas...In 1949, while filming "The River" in Calcutta, Renoir met the then starting Bengali director and journalist, Satyajit Ray, who recommended some locations for shooting. Renoir encouraged him to start working on the "Apu Sansar Trilogy" which became Ray's greatest work.

Your turn...

Muddy--that was a challenge for me but definitely up my alley. Merci!

Next: This artist was an early Hitchcock star, but today he is better known as a composer of hit tunes and musicals.

I'm not too ashamed to say that last year I viewed "Zombies on Broadway" because I really like Bela--and I saw an el cheapo comedy team in it--Alan Carney & Wally Brown. Otherwise wouldn't know them.

"Zombies etc. had some nice tunes and Sheldon Leonard when he was still a bad guy.

Thanx

OK--This Columbia starlet was cute, but no one could have guessed her movie career would take her into TV--way into the 80's.

She appeared and was featured in A's and B's with some of the best: Boris, Bogart, Loretta, Roz and Lancaster.

I knew about "The George Gobel Show". I had to look up her filmography for the soap operra. Now, the next question could be entitled "Do You Know Us?". I was a Broadway performer in musicals in the 1930's, as well as a band singer and radio performer. I was never a movie star, having appeared in a small part in only one movie. After World War II, I got involved in television in New York, and hosted and performed on a very popular kids show for many years. My daughter became an actress, singer, and dancer. She started working in movies and television while in her mid-teens. Because of her looks, I suppose, she was cast in Lolita-type roles. She worked with Troy Donahue, Susan Hayward, Bette Davis, Richard Burton, and many others. She also appeared on many TV variety shows showcasing her singing and dancing talents. She filled in for Dean Martin in a summer replacement series and even had a limited series variety show with her dear old dad. In the sixties and seventies she was a sort of rival for Ann-Margret. She even headlined her own show in nightclubs and toured with Bob Hope in some of his USO shows. Oh, and by the way, cujas would say that she had a gender-bender name, although there was never any doubt about her gender. Do you know us?

You got it, Skipper. I saw Joey Heatherton headlining a show in Atlantic City in the eighties when she was in her early forties. She looked great and sounded terrific, as well. Ray Heatherton was the original male lead in "Babes In Arms" on Broadway in 1937. Your turn, Muddy.

Well, Miles, I too was in Broadway and also have a daughter in show business. I played the lead in a few major musicals although I was in only one of them in Hollywood. My daughter performs mostly on stage and is mainly a singer.. I also have a grandson who was involved in "The Lord Of The Rings"....I'm sure everyone knows who I am, the movie I was in, and my daughter's name....By the way, I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me how my grandson got involved in "The Lord Of The Rings". Sometimes I forget, you see..

Edited by: mudskipper on May 15, 2012 2:02 AM

I can guess on this one--

The original Anita in "West Side Story"--Chita Rivera

She only got to do "Sweet Charity" in Hollywood and her daughter is Lisa Mordente, who is also the daughter of "Action", Tony Mordente in the movie version of "West Side Story".

Edited by: cujas on May 15, 2012 3:44 PM

He is the father of singer [bonnie Raitt|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Raitt|Bonnie Raitt], who proved herself to be the consummate show-biz professional by going on-stage for a concert in Indio, California, just days after his death, and former father-in-law of [Michael O'Keefe|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Keefe|Michael O'Keefe]. His grandson is [bay Raitt|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Raitt|Bay Raitt], the creator of [Gollum|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gollum|Gollum]'s face for [The Lord of the Rings film trilogy...|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy|The Lord of the Rings film trilogy]

Here's John Raitt and Jan Clayton in a beautiful clip from a TV production of Carousel:

And here's John and Bonnie Raitt with David Letterman...

Your thread...

I had an almost 50 year career that started in silent movies. I was able to do drama as well as comedy - a famous director called me, "the greatest dramatic actress." I made an epic film for him that was at the time not a great success but has now gained respect. My performance was praised, but I was soon back in comedies. From then on, that was what i did - comedy.

I was married and had a daughter. A good friend died a drug related death and we adopted her son. We changed his name and raised him as our son.

More B-movies and comedies. I was imitated in cartoons. I added radio to my career and even had a play written for me which did well on Broadway.

TV work came next including a regular role in a sitcom that ran about 4-5 years. The sitcom's star had already had another successful series.

I did TV and movie work despite being very ill. I died less than a year after making my last movie - a big, hit comedy with a respected director.

After I died, a book was published with my recipes. You can still acquire it if you want to know how to make taffy or peanut brittle.