Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Miles, "You're the Tops"--

and as a Baby Boomer, I should say that she was also the voice of NBC's "Winky Dink"--a show that was every mother's nightmare--My brother really did crayoned the TV screen once, forgetting the plastic cover--Miles, did your mother let you play that game on Sat morn's?

Thanks. Yes, I remember "Winky Dink". It was probably the first attempt at inter-active TV. My mother made it very clear that we were not to write or draw on the TV screen, and so we didn't. I remember one of the cartoons was about Mike McBean and his adventure machine, which was a sort of time machine to take Mike to all kinds of places. For those of you who don't remember, you were supposed to buy a kit that contained a clear plastic, or acetate sheet that you put over your TV screen. When Winky Dink or another character was in trouble, you were instructed to draw a ladder or rope, or something to help him get out of a jam, using a crayon or grease pencil from the kit. Many a TV screen was messed up by kids without the kit. That probably led to the demise of the show.

Now, do you know me? I was an accomplished character actor who started in movies in the late 1930's. It was as a radio actor in the forties that I developed many characters and dialects. I was hired as a voice actor for cartoons and cartoon movies. On of them was a cartoon version of a well known play that has been presented many times over the years. In it, traditionally, two roles were played by one actor. In the cartoon movie version, we did the same thing, and I voiced two parts. In the fifties and sixties I had a recurring role on a long running TV sitcom as an elder member of a family, and I appeared on a lot of game shows, like "Pantomime Quiz". I was all over TV in those days, but I still found time to work on Broadway, and an occasional movie. I was one of the stars of a rather bizarre movie that featured a child actor from a much loved TV series. Later, I did voices on the "Rocky And Bullwinkle Show" , and "Fractured Flickers". Do you know me? .

Are you the brilliant Hans Conried? Hans was Mr. Darling and Capt. Hook, he was Snidley Whiplash on Bullwinkle and Rocky and of course Uncle Tonosse on the Danny Thomas Show. A brilliant man and always enjoyable performer.

Miles, Thank You for your post. In almost 4 years of being on the bds. your post was one of the most enjoyable ones for me. A man after my heart! I had the plastic screen and did draw along ., much to the dismay of my mother. I still remember the theme song to Winky Dink ( Thank You Cujas for bringing it up), I'm amazed that you remembered that show with such detail. I also still remember the theme song to Stump the Stars, I've hummed it to myself (Pantomine Quiz). I've haven't met anyone in years who remembers those 2 shows. Thank You for bringing back great childhood memories for me.

Yes, it's Hans Conreid. He played Uncle Tonoose over a span of thirteen years. Do you remember "The 5,000 Fingers Of Doctor T" with Tommy Rettig? Hans was a very talented character actor. I'm glad you remembered "Winky Dink". In those days, Saturday morning TV was not just cartoon shows. We had shows like "Fury", Tales Of The Texas Rangers", "Sky King" and "Super Circus". Maybe you can remember some others. In the meantime, lavender, it's your turn.

So you can be a member of our Winky Dink Club, finance. Was Flicka on Sat. mornings? A show that I loved was Andy's Gang remember Midnight the Cat. Ha. I loved Sky King.

Beam me up and back Scotty. :)

next:

This actress got her start late in life. Not known as a lead but a character actress. She did appear in some very well known films. For the most part she was uncredited. She did appear in 2 Hitchcock films and did get credit for one of them. Best remembered for her role in a very well loved 50's comedy series. Her last role was in a comedy series episode in 1963 that had a question for a title. Do you know her?

His bio reads he was born to be a TV star. Famous in front of the TV cameras, he had a brief movie contract but the studio dropped him. His 1st starring role was in a TV detective series. His roles on TV created a niche for him that made him a legend. This is who? that entertained us all for many hours?