Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

In the interest of keeping this thread alive, I have another.

I only made a half dozen or so films, but I have been known and loved by millions. I have been an opera singer, a Broadway performer, and a television celebrity. It was television that endeared me to so many people around the country. I was a regular on one particular show for 20 years.

Who am I?

> Are you the ageless Kitty Carlisle?

Ack! Too many clues maybe? :-)

Kitty Carlisle is correct. Kitty's first movie was "Murder at the Vanities" (one of my many favorites), but she didn't become a household name until her long stint on "To Tell the Truth". Kitty was married to playwright Moss Hart and has worked to keep his name alive ever since he died in 1961. Kitty turned 96 this year.

I saw Carlisle just recently being interviewed on a local New York cable show where she was attending a premier of some show or other. She looks wonderful and is as sharp as ever.

Here's another quickie:

I was one of those actors whose face was familiar, but not necessarily the name. I had a 10-year Broadway career before I made my first film. I was generally cast as the suave other man. My real claim to fame was in who I married. It was a brief marriage, and my famous and outspoken wife wasn't shy about saying she wanted me because of my face . . . and other things -- all of which things reminded her of someone else.

Who am I?

I was one of those actors whose face was familiar, but not necessarily the name. I had a 10-year Broadway career before I made my first film. I was generally cast as the suave other man. My real claim to fame was in who I married. It was a brief marriage, and my famous and outspoken wife wasn't shy about saying she wanted me because of my face . . . and other things -- all of which things reminded her of someone else.

Could it be Mike Todd, to whom Michael Wilding lost Liz?

No, not Mike Todd.

The man in question started his stage career in the 1920s, made movies mostly in the 40s, and appeared on TV in the 50s and 60s. He bore a resemblance to a very (in)famous actor, which attracted his first wife to him. She lost interest fairly quickly, as she so often did.

Need further hints? OK:

If you know who my first wife was, it will help you name me, because she was far more famous than I was. She was a woman who revelled in being outrageous and controversial, and whose wit and wisdom are still quoted today, although most people now don't realize they are quoting that particular woman.

"> How about John Emery?

Hmmm. I looked at him, but as it appeared to be the only marriage that either he or Tallulah had, I discounted him. I have her autobiography around here somewhere, but haven't bothered to look for it."

Well, his profile fits. And TB's website shows that John Emery married Tamara Geva after his divorce from Tallulah.

Dan N.

> How about John Emery?

PF is right, and is the winner for being first.

And Emery did remarry after the Tallulah Episode. You have to give him credit for venturing into those waters in the first place, the poor schnook.

As Tallulah said in another context: "Don't think this has taught me any kind of lesson!"

OK - who's next? (I think Tallu said that as well, many times.)

> > How about John Emery?

>

> PF is right, and is the winner for being first.

>

> And Emery did remarry after the Tallulah Episode.

> You have to give him credit for venturing into those

> waters in the first place, the poor schnook.

>

> As Tallulah said in another context: "Don't think

> this has taught me any kind of lesson!"

>

> OK - who's next? (I think Tallu said that as well,

> many times.)

Ye gads and little fishes! And I was so close. :-)

Well, Judith says:

"He bore a resemblance to a very (in)famous actor, which attracted his first wife to him."

I suspect the "(in)famous" actor she's talking about is John Wilkes Booth. And, if you look at the pictures of Booth available on the Net, there IS a sorta-kinda resemblance between him and John Emery.

Tallulah, born and bred in Alabama, may have been attracted to Booth as a "hero" of the South.

Dan N.

Mais non, mes amis. Tallulah thought he looked like John Barrymore, above and below stairs. I can only opine to the above-stairs resemblance, which was there, sort of, in profile, but the guy lacked the attendant dynamism of Barrymore, for sure.

More - let's have some more!!

Message was edited by: Judith, who wants to guess one with the rest of the troops.

jdb1

"More - let's have some more!!

Message was edited by: Judith, who wants to guess one with the rest of the troops.

jdb1 "

Here's one that should be no trouble to "the troops."

Name two films in which Mary Pickford appears in Technicolor.

I'm not talking about b&w films which were later colorized, and I'm not talking about productions made for television.

Mary Pickford appeared in (at least) two Technicolor films. Name them.

Dan N.

Mary Pickford briefly appeared in only 3 films that I can think of that contained scenes with the Two-Strip Technicolor process. She didn't receive credit or billing for any of them.

They are "The Gaucho" and "The Black Pirate", and MGMs original "Ben Hur" : all silent films.

"Mary Pickford briefly appeared in only 3 films that I can think of that contained scenes with the Two-Strip Technicolor process. She didn't receive credit or billing for any of them.

They are "The Gaucho" and "The Black Pirate", and MGMs original "Ben Hur" : all silent films."

See? Told you this would be easy.

BTW, she was also in the MGM Technicolor short, STAR NIGHT AT THE COCOANUT GROVE (1934)... apparently it was her only Technicolor talkie.

Take it away, PF!

Dan N.

Okay. Here is another.

I started my film career in the early 30's and got my big break playing a gangsters girl friend. I worked in several films alongside some of the biggest names in the business, but I never really caught on with the public as I did not exude the warmth of some of the leading ladies of the time. I had a part in one of the best known comedies of the pre-code era. I also had the lead female role in a controversial political drama and my politics eventually led me to be blacklisted by the HUAC. I mounted an unsuccessful campaign for political office in one of the most populous states in the early 50's.

Who am I?

> Are you Karen Morley?

Gee. I guess I need to make these tougher. Very good. Karen Morley, it is. Karen got her big break in "Scarface" and the famous comedy in which she appeared was "Dinner at Eight". She also had the lead female part in "Gabriel over the White House". My personal favorite Morley film is "The Phantom of Crestwood", in which she played a blackmailing ex-mistress of several rich men. After being blacklisted for invoking the 5th Amendment in front of the HUAC, Morley ran for the lieutenant governorship in the state of New York. She ran as a member of the American Labor Party and was defeated.

Next?

I almost missed that in searching for actors who have run for office. In New York State you can no longer run for Lt. Governor separately. Both candidates, governor and lt. governor, are on the same ballot card, one and inseparable.

I'll make up the next in a while - anyone else, please fell free to jump in if you have one ready.