Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I was born in San Francisco but later went to the Los Angeles where I went to the L.A. Academy of Art and had some supporting parts in the movies. In one of these films, I was involved in Hollywood's first interracial kiss. Later I was nominated for an Oscar in the sixties....Who am I? Which movie had the kiss and with whom? And in what movie was I nominated for an Oscar?..

Edited by: mudskipper on Aug 5, 2012 9:28 AM

Sorry. I'm not Charlton Heston. The kiss was in a 1958 movie which starred a versatile English actor who was nominated for three Oscars but never won. Also in the cast is an Oscar-winning actor who was mentioned in a recent post in one of these threads.

I don't have a complete answer. I can't do any research. I think the movie is *Island In The Sun* . James Mason was in the film and was a 3 time Oscar nominee. I'm confused because I can't think of anyone in the cast who was born in SF. Joan Fontaine, no- Dorothy Dandridge- no. Harry Belefonte- no. Maybe someone else can find the rest out if I'm correct with *Island In the Sun* ????????????/////////////////

I was reading Stuart Whitman's biography in Wikipedia, and it states that the first interracial kiss in Hollywood was between Whitman and Dorothy Dandridge in the movie "The Decks Ran Red"(1958), which starred James Mason. However, when I checked "Island In The Sun" (1957), with its theme of interracial relationships, it seems that the movie showed John Justin kissing Dorothy Dandridge also, so you're probably right, Dilly....Apparently, during those years before the Civil Rights movement, showing a white man kissing a colored girl was less inflammatory than having Harry Belafonte kissing Joan Fontaine....

Your thread, Dilly.

Thanks, skip

He was an actor, director, author, composer. He had an almost 50 year career in films. He won an Oscar and was nominated for one as Best Directtor. He's well known to film fans for an ongoing role he played in films. He was not a well man and said that a very important man in the film industry procured illegal drugs for him to ease his pain and allow him to sleep. Do you know him?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Aug 10, 2012 2:32 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Before Clint Eastwood a legendary director, writer, actor scored his most popular film from the '30s. The romantic theme of this movie was given lyrics and went on to be immortalized by Nat King Cole. Title given to the theme song, movie, and the legend I'm referring to??

Thanks. Do you know me? I was in a movie with Bing Crosby where he plays a composer of musicals who gets invited back to his alma mater when they are putting on one of his old shows. I played the young soprano in the college show. I only made a few movie appearances. Later I became well known for appearing on a weekly TV show for many years. Do you know me?

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed *Singin In The Rain* last nite, Miles. I'm jealous!

She had some bit parts in shorts in the late '20's. Her roles in films were for the most part supporting, although she had the female lead in a very famous early '30's film. She did have the lead as a fast talking gal in a film series. She appeared in some famous films. Gangster, musical and drama.

She appeared quite a bit on TV from 1949-1969.

She was buried in an Historic Cemetary because of her husband's accomplishments. Can you name her?