Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Good guess, Miles, but that's not who I am.

One of my unambitious little films, made for a poverty row studio, proved so successful that it spawned a radio serial in which I played the same character, albeit re-named.  

Sorry, film lover 293, but I wasn't a western star.

I made a comedy that was released by UA in 1945.  It has been filmed several times, including a couple of silent versions, but my version is considered to be the funniest.  

My next choice is Dennis O'Keefe, who was billed as Bud Flanagan for a few years.  His career and that of Wild Bill Elliott were remarkably similar in their early days.  in fact, they appeared in several films together in uncredited bit parts.  

Sometimes I get involved in so many threads that I lose track of one.  That's what happened here.

Do you know me?  I had some success as a dancer on Broadway.  I married a famous man and probably because of that, I got a multi-year contract with a major studio.  I was featured in a string of successful musicals, often being teamed with a young singer.  However, it became apparent that my singing and acting abilities were rather poor.  I divorced my famous husband, and when my contract was up, the studio did not renew it.  My career was essentially over until, more than thirty years later, I made a comeback of sorts on Broadway.  Do you know me?   

Sometimes I get involved in so many threads that I lose track of one.  That's what happened here.

Do you know me?  I had some success as a dancer on Broadway.  I married a famous man and probably because of that, I got a multi-year contract with a major studio.  I was featured in a string of successful musicals, often being teamed with a young singer.  However, it became apparent that my singing and acting abilities were rather poor.  I divorced my famous husband, and when my contract was up, the studio did not renew it.  My career was essentially over until, more than thirty years later, I made a comeback of sorts on Broadway.  Do you know me?   

Ruby Keeler , you sound just like her? Ruby was teamed was a young Dick Powell often, The best film  was 42nd Street. She was married and divorced to Al Jolson ???

Yes it's Ruby Keeler.  Here's some little known trivia.  Ruby's nephew, who billed himself as Donald Keeler, played Tommy Rettig's chubby friend, Porky, on the "Lassie" TV series for a few years in the 50's.  Another nephew, Ken Weatherwax, the nephew of Lassie's trainer Rudd Weatherwax, played Pugsley on the original "Addams Family" TV series.  Good job, Lavender.  It's your thread now.

• 4 weeks later...

Making my first movie was such a terrible experience, that I didn't care if I ever made another.  Then another studio put me in a comedy, and it was then that I realized that making a movie could really be fun.  Who am I?

Thanks for the reminder, Starlit.

Let me give a couple of hints:  The comedy (the one that was so much fun to make) spawned a sequel.  The original was in black and white, the sequel in color.  Both movies starred the same two actors.

Also, a song from the first movie won an Oscar for Best Song.  Hope this helps.

I'd like to say it's Jane Russell because of The Paleface, which won an Oscar for Best Song ("Buttons and Bows") and it had a sequel, Son of Paleface.  However, you said that the first movie was in black and white and I distinctly remember The Paleface being in color, so maybe it's not the right answer after all.

Do you know me?  I was a popular character actor who made a lot of movies and yet it seems that the only one I get remembered for is the one for which I received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.  My pictures didn’t cost a lot to make, but they made millions for the studio and supported the prestige productions that cost millions to make and made nothing.  

Do you know me? I got my start in vaudeville when I was 12. In the early 30's I was cast as part of a comedy team in over 30 popular shorts. The audience really thought they were watching our zany real life antics--why not?..our characters had our names. I was never a leading lady, but usually delivered the wise-cracks. I was over 60 when I finally received an award for my work..a Tony.