Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

"Robert Greig/Grieg? That's one name I've always noticed."

Well, his name got misspelled a lot too. But he didn't appear in nearly as many films and TV shows as I did.

Also, was he a painter? There is a "Robert Greig" who is, or was, arts editor with The Sunday Independent... but obviously, he would be from a later generation. Not your Robert Greig/Grieg.

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

"George Macready/MacReady/McCready?"

No. George Macready was one of the most chilling villains I ever saw on screen, especially in "The Big Clock" (1948). But he was much more of a TV actor than a movie actor. Count his credits, and you'll see.

Dan N.

No new responses? Okay, time for another clue.

My sister was in the movies, too, although her career was not as long as mine. One of the reasons may have been that she was too tall. She was not only taller than most women, but taller than most MEN!

Who am I?

Dan N.

"Rene Auberjonois?"

No, not the versatile Rene Auberjonois. I've said that I was involved in more than 200 films and TV shows. Auberjonois hasn't been in that many. I also said I had a sister who was also in films... but Rene's bio doesn't indicate a sibling in sho biz; indeed, no sibling at all!

But... Here's another clue!

One of my films was a parody of "Tarzan of the Apes," and it was written and co-directed by a famous... PAINTER! In fact, his most famous painting has probably been seen by more Americans than any other painting in history.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Well, I thought I had a lead with the painter clue. Andy Warhol had some famous paintings and directed Tarzan and Jane Regained... Sort of. Unfortunately, the only actor listed on IMDb that had enough appearances to qualify was Dennis Hopper - and he isn't old enough to have acted with all of those famous names from his "early days." It didn't say anything about him having a sister either, although, at 5'9", he could have been shorter than her.

The search continues.

CharlieT

Mose, you got it! Did you also get the clue about

the painter who created "the painting watched by

Americans more than any other painting in history?"

Yeah, sure. James Montgomery Flagg and Uncle Sam Wants You. However, I would argue that the most viewed American painting would be American Gothic. It was "stitching" that found it for me. :-)

We're not hearing back from Mose, so I'm going to jump the line and pose one while Mose regroups:

Do you know me?

I was born in another country, but had my film career in the US. I changed my name to get work more easily. I was an athlete when I was young, and spent time in the ring as an amateur boxer. Because the kinds of roles I played, in many of my films I was shirtless. I was very popular on TV, and was for a while the commercial spokesman for a product whose name was coincidentally associated with me.

Who am I?

I have an idea this is Carlos Montalban.

He was born in another country -- Mexico. He was an amateur boxer. He changed his birth name to appear in American films. Playing a boxer in movies, he was often "shirtless."

You say he was "very popular on TV" -- I'm guessing you mean as "El Exigente" -- the demanding one -- in coffee commercials in the 1960s and '70s.

Dan N.

Weissmuller, Montalban, Conrad.

All well-reasoned guesses, but all incorrect.

I started out in films as a stuntman. I made about 100 movies, almost all of the same genre. There are only 3 or 4 pictures in which I played something else. I was in films with, among others, Humphrey Bogart, Walter Brennan and Tyrone Power, but my name was not well-known by the public. Television changed all that, but I was still playing the same kind of role I played so many times before.

> Jay Silverheels (Tonto), born on the Six Nations

> Reservation in Ontario. Was the spokesperson for

> improving the portrayal on Indians on television.

Jay Silverheels is the man I was thinking of. Born Harold Smith, he did work tirelessly for the improvement of Indian rights in entertainment and in the real world. He also founded an acting school intended for Indian actors, to help them to break out of casting stereotypes.

However, the commercial I was thinking of in this instance was for the Jeep Scout, for which Silverheels did several TV ads (as himself, not as Tonto), the tagline of which was "Get 'em up, Scout!" (Scout being the name of Tonto's horse.)

Silverheels was also in the advertising hall of fame Lone Ranger/Tonto commercials done by Stan Freberg for Pizza Rolls. Remember? To the tune of the William Tell Overture: "Have a pizz, have a pizz, have a pizza roll."

However, the commercial I was thinking of in this

instance was for the Jeep Scout, for which

Silverheels did several TV ads (as himself, not as

Tonto), the tagline of which was "Get 'em up, Scout!"

(Scout being the name of Tonto's horse.)

Silverheels was also in the advertising hall of fame

Lone Ranger/Tonto commercials done by Stan Freberg

for Pizza Rolls. Remember? To the tune of the

William Tell Overture: "Have a pizz, have a pizz,

have a pizza roll."

I think I remember the Jeep commercial, but have no recollection of the Stan Freberg ones. I haven't really seen much commercial television since the early 1960s, so there is a lot in that venue I am not up on. :-)

As far as picking up the baton goes, I am afraid I do not have time right now to stay on top of things. I am up to my eyeballs in alligators and it is everything I can do to keep them at bay. Anyone else have one?

Here's another while I have a moment:

Do you know me?

I always dressed like a gentleman, but didn't always behave like one. I was always a supporting player, generally overshadowed by the charisma of the stars, but always essential to the plot. Maybe I was one of those actors who made audiences say "What's his name again?" but I worked steadily, on the stage, and then in over 200 films and TV shows. I had a small but crucial part in one of cinema's enduring classics, and in another such film I played the kind of thankless and unsympathetic part I played in most of my movies. In that one, I had to support a very unpopular position. I lost, as usual. Both films are shown on TV very often, although one of them is generally shown only at a particular time.

Who am I?

Our favorite centenarian. No, I'm not Lane.

My screen persona was never quite as prickly as was Lane's. I was always something of a smooth operator. My characters were generally slightly higher on the social scale than Lane's.