Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

jdb1

I'm an all-around writer, but I've been most noted for my screenplays, which were directed by William Wellman, Howard Hawks, and William Wyler -- just to name a few.

My biggest cinematic achievement may not be known to many because it was uncredited;  another writer won the Oscar for the screenplay.

When your identify this screenwriter, please also name some of the movies that he wrote,  including his great uncredited achievement.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:31 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I'm an all-around writer, but I've been most noted for my screenplays, which were directed by William Wellman, Howard Hawks, and William Wyler -- just to name a few.

My biggest cinematic achievement may not be known to many because it was uncredited;  another writer won the Oscar for the screenplay.

When your identify this screenwriter, please also name some of the movies that he wrote,  including his great uncredited achievement.

Hint: This Tremendous Talent also wrote for Hitchcock several times.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:31 PM, Princess of Tap said:

On 11/4/2017 at 5:42 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint: This Tremendous Talent also wrote for Hitchcock several times.

Hint#2-- This screenwriter started out as a successful journalist.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sounds like Ben Hecht His great uncredited work I believe was Gone with The Wind. Hecht wrote Notorious for Hitchcock. He also wrote Scarface and The Front Page ???????? 

Lav-- Absolutely correct as usual. Good Work!

For some reason I knew about this guy, but I had no idea how unbelievably important he was to Golden Age Hollywood and how talented!

He also wrote the noir, Kiss of Death, Wuthering Heights, Nothing Sacred and Hitchcock's Spellbound. But it's unbelievable the amount of top-ranked Classics that he was called in to fix or doctor-- GWTW being the most famous one for which he got no credit.

Lav, It's your turn--

Thanks.  Do you know me?  I was originally from the midwest and my first name was Dorothy.  My older sister Leota had gone to New York to pursue a career as a stage actress.  I joined her and we both were able to make a living as actresses, but we were certainly not well known.  An agent suggested that we change our names to something more memorable.  After the name change, I was able to land a contract with a Hollywood studio.  I was mainly a supporting actress at the start.  After a few years, my roles got larger.  My studio was planning to make a picture about a group of sisters.  I had two younger sisters who were singing with a band on a radio show.  I convinced my studio to give screen tests to all three of my sisters.  The two youngest were cast along with me in the picture, but Leota was rejected and replaced by another actress for the picture.  As a group, we made several pictures together.  My youngest sister became a leading lady for a number of years.  Do you know me?  Do you know my sisters?  Do you know the actress who got the part instead of Leota? 

21 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.  Do you know me?  I was originally from the midwest and my first name was Dorothy.  My older sister Leota had gone to New York to pursue a career as a stage actress.  I joined her and we both were able to make a living as actresses, but we were certainly not well known.  An agent suggested that we change our names to something more memorable.  After the name change, I was able to land a contract with a Hollywood studio.  I was mainly a supporting actress at the start.  After a few years, my roles got larger.  My studio was planning to make a picture about a group of sisters.  I had two younger sisters who were singing with a band on a radio show.  I convinced my studio to give screen tests to all three of my sisters.  The two youngest were cast along with me in the picture, but Leota was rejected and replaced by another actress for the picture.  As a group, we made several pictures together.  My youngest sister became a leading lady for a number of years.  Do you know me?  Do you know my sisters?  Do you know the actress who got the part instead of Leota? 

You're talking about the Lane Sisters, Lola was the oldest and Gale Page got the part instead of Leota.

Priscilla was the youngest with Rosemary in the middle.

I was just watching one of my favorite movies Young at Heart and I have never seen the original movie that was based on starring the Lane sisters. The original film without the music was Four Daughters that you're referencing. John Garfield was a great actor but Frank Sinatra is just magnificent in this role with or without the singing.

BTW-- There are only three daughters in Young at Heart :Doris Day,  Dorothy Malone and Elisabeth Fraser.

No offense to Leota, but if you ever saw photograph of her, you could say she wasn't exactly photogenic; maybe that's why she didn't get the part.

Yes, Lola Lane was originally named Dorothy Mullican.  She and Leota changed their last name at the same time.  Younger sisters Rosemary and Priscilla adopted the name Lane when they went into show business.  Actress Gale Page was known as "The Fourth Lane Sister" after working in "Four Daughters", Daughters Courageous", Four Wives" and "Four Mothers".

When Jerry Seigel created the "Superman" comic book, he remembered he had seen a movie called "Torchy Blane In Panama". that starred Lola Lane.  He wanted his female character to be an aggressive reporter like Torchy Blane.  He borrowed Lola's name and changed it to Lois Lane. 

Good work Princess.  You're up next.  

Princess, did you check out my answer in "Musicals On Tap" from a few days ago?

I'm a good solid character actor with some top rate films and big movie stars, but I feared I may haveI slipped through the cracks.

I was briefly on Broadway and then went straight to Hollywood.

I don't know why I'm not better known because I've had solid roles in a Hitchcock movie, an Academy Award nominated movie--

where I played out the suspenseful finale with the star who did win the Oscar for this performance--

And probably my best known role was as a father.  This film was so popular that there was a sequel.

The one thing that really stands me out from some other character actors is that I did  voice work in several classic iconic films from the 30s and 40s.

Do You Know Me?

On 11/25/2017 at 5:09 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I'm a good solid character actor with some top rate films and big movie stars, but I feared I may haveI slipped through the cracks.

I don't know why I'm not better known because I've had solid roles in a Hitchcock movie, an Academy Award nominated movie--

where I played out the suspenseful finale with the star who did win the Oscar for this performance--

And probably my best known role was as a father.  This film was so popular that there was a sequel.

The one thing that really stands me out from some other character actors is that I did  voice work in several classic iconic films from the 30s and 40s.

Do You Know Me?

When you identify this actor, also identify several films in the question and one of the iconic films where he did not physically appear, but did voice work.

Hint:  This actor has an unusual first name, which has a religious significance.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:09 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Do You Know Me?

On 11/26/2017 at 6:01 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint:  This actor has an unusual first name, which has a religious significance.

Hint#2:  This actor supported the biggest movie stars of the Golden Era. 4 of which were:

Gary Cooper

Katharine Hepburn

Spencer Tracy

Ingrid Bergman

54 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Moroni Olsen ? he played the father-in-law in Father of the Bride and Father's Little Dividend, he played the Inspector in Notorious, he was the voice of the Angel who gave Clarence instructions in It's A Wonderful Life??????

Lav, magnificent. This wasn't easy and it wasn't an average question.  But I have enjoyed this actor for so many years in those two Father of the Bride movies that I simply had to use him sometime in a question.

Plus he really helped Joan Crawford win that Oscar in Mildred Pierce.

He had quite a career for somebody who is not very well known, I think.

He was also the voice of the Magic Mirror for Disney's legendary Snow White and he supported Barbara Stanwyck's Annie Oakley as Buffalo Bill-- my first favorite movie.

Lav, You earned the next question!

Thanks, I figured the answer out yesterday before this last clue, just didn't get a chance to post. The father clue was what made me think of Moroni Olsen.

This talented actress started out on the stage and began in films at a late age. She only made 3 feature length films. One of the films was a Hitchcock film.In another film, she played a character that coincidentally had the same name as a role that she later played on a hit tv show. Actress and the tv show and the 3 films she appeared in ????

2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

It's Marion Lorne.  The 3 films she appeared in are Strangers on a Train, The Girl Rush and The Graduate.  In The Girl Rush she played Aunt Clara and she also played Aunt Clara on Bewitched.

Correct Star. Marion Lorne played Bruno's insane mother in Strangers On A Train. She won an Emmy for Bewitched, unfortunately she passed away a few weeks before she was given the Award. An excellent actress.

Good work, your thread Star :)