Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Thanks, lavender.

Do you know me?  When I was 15, I lied about my age and became a showgirl in the Ziegfeld Follies where I was eventually discovered by Darryl F. Zanuck.  He became my mentor throughout my career and respected me for not playing the casting couch game.  In Hollywood I started out basically doing extra work and was even a Goldwyn Girl in one movie.  Eventually I found my niche playing the conniving “other woman.”  Because of my aloofness and refusal to go along with the Hollywood system, one reporter nicknamed me “Ice Bucket” and the name stuck.  After marrying my second husband, I quit films to raise a family.  Who am I?

Thanks.  Do you know me?  I'll bet you don't.  I was a member of the "Our Gang" comedies along with my brother.  My brother became well known, but I was relegated to being a minor gang member, often with no lines of dialogue.  My brother and I debuted in an "Our Gang" short as singers in a talent show.  After about five years and more than thirty short films, my career was over.

As an adult, I operated a laundromat.  After killing a customer in a dispute, I drove to a rural area and killed myself.  Do you know me? 

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.  Do you know me?  I'll bet you don't.  I was a member of the "Our Gang" comedies along with my brother.  My brother became well known, but I was relegated to being a minor gang member, often with no lines of dialogue.  My brother and I debuted in an "Our Gang" short as singers in a talent show.  After about five years and more than thirty short films, my career was over.

As an adult, I operated a laundromat.  After killing a customer in a dispute, I drove to a rural area and killed myself.  Do you know me? 

Miles I think I do know, Harold Switzer, brother of Carl (Alfalfa) Switzer ??

Very impressive, Lavender.  I'll bet that 99% of the people in this world never heard of Harold Switzer.  I usually dislike referencing a person so obscure, but I thought it was time to throw out a challenging one.  

• 239e3feeaf6156375cf0d19218cd919f.jpg 

Harold was two years older than Carl.

Good work, Lavender.  You get to post the next one.

Thanks Miles. I figured it was either Spanky or Alfalfa since you wrote "I bet you don't" LOL. I do remember reading this info awhile back when I was thinking about the Our Gang comedies.

This actress was a strong supporting actress. she had a few uncredited roles but by the '40's she appeared in some well known films with some major stars. She also appeared in 2 of a series of films. By late 1940, then into the 1950's she appeared in a film and the sequel and then another with the same stars. These are a few examples of the films she appeared in. Her last film was in the mid '50's then she appeared on tv quite often, unfortunately she had an untimely death. Actress and name some of these films ??????

I think that it's Diana Lynn.  She played Rita Johnson's younger sister in The Major and the Minor. She also played Betty Hutton's younger sister in The Miracle of Morgan's Creek.   She appeared in 3 films with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis -- My Friend Irma, My Friend Irma Goes West, and You're Never Too Young.

10 hours ago, Azure said:

I think that it's Diana Lynn.  She played Rita Johnson's younger sister in The Major and the Minor. She also played Betty Hutton's younger sister in The Miracle of Morgan's Creek.   She appeared in 3 films with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis -- My Friend Irma, My Friend Irma Goes West, and You're Never Too Young.

Diana Lynn is correct Azure. Diana was an excellent actress, she was also a piano child prodigy. She plays the piano in the 1939 film They Shall have Music.

It's so sad, she died of a stroke when she was 45.

Good work Azure, your thread  

• 2 weeks later...

For many years I was under contract with one of Hollywood's studios.  Because of my regional accent, I was often cast in Westerns.  In fact, it has been suggested that my accent stood in the way of my becoming a bigger star in Hollywood than I did.  I later went into television and found steady work there.

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm answering this from a musical variety perspective. I can remember that Dinah Shore had a husband who was in the western movies and had a Western TV show. And he wasn't that bad looking at all. His name was George Montgomery. Since everybody is guessing I thought I'd guess too.

I almost guessed him as well but chose Dale Robertson instead. I did not pick Montgomery because I do not think of him as having much of an accent which would restrict his roles.

Wow!  Such good guesses.  Let me give a couple of clues.  First of all, this actor never achieved the success of those mentioned.  He started out with a contract with Universal and appeared in supporting roles in many of their Westerns.  On a television series, he had a supporting role in a rural comedy.

I must apologize.  I didn't realize this would be so  difficult.  This actor died just a few years ago.  He appeared in at least one episode of Andy Griffith's show.  He was also prominently featured in a Jerry Lewis comedy and in a movie based on a very popular song.

43 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I must apologize.  I didn't realize this would be so  difficult.  This actor died just a few years ago.  He appeared in at least one episode of Andy Griffith's show.  He was also prominently featured in a Jerry Lewis comedy and in a movie based on a very popular song.

I am sorry, but I am afraid you simply have a profile that fits too many people. Most actors of your generation are dead, there were lots of Jerry Lewis comedies and many movies after the 50s named after popular songs, like "Ode to Billy Joe". So if you are not Denver Pyle, you are James Best. If you are not James Best, you have "won" the game. If you ARE James Best, I pass the thread.

• Like 1

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings