Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?


Recommended Posts

I was a performer of a very certain type. I was a handsome guy, with wiry hair. I was always credited under a single name, if I was credited at all. My career lasted through the 1930's, after which I went into retirement. I'm best known for my recurring role in a popular film series, so much so that I'm sometimes called by my character name from that series instead of my real name! 

Do you know me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I was a performer of a very certain type. I was a handsome guy, with wiry hair. I was always credited under a single name, if I was credited at all. My career lasted through the 1930's, after which I went into retirement. I'm best known for my recurring role in a popular film series, so much so that I'm sometimes called by my character name from that series instead of my real name! 

Do you know me?

I think you are Skippy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

During my years in Hollywood, I made many movies.  I was equally at home with film noir and Westerns.  Even though I was never nominated for an Oscar, I was a very familiar face in the movies for a number of years.  I often gave the appearance of being a hard-boiled, tough-talking  woman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a film director who composes music. Sometimes I do both at the same time. I also am the director who started one of the most endearing and popular film series of all time.

When you identify me, please name one of my well known songs, along with one of my well-known movies and don't forget the film series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles Chaplin often composed the music for his films, he won his only Oscar for the 1952 "Limelight" score (which oddly enough wasn't given to him until 1972 because of Academy rules). He also wrote the famous song "Smile". His "little tramp" movies are an "endearing and popular" series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marcar said:

Charles Chaplin often composed the music for his films, he won his only Oscar for the 1952 "Limelight" score (which oddly enough wasn't given to him until 1972 because of Academy rules). He also wrote the famous song "Smile". His "little tramp" movies are an "endearing and popular" series.

What we're looking at here is a number of films, which were in a series. The director in question was at the helm for the first two films in the series.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

What we're looking at here is a number of films, which were in a series. The director in question was at the helm for the first two films in the series.

 

 

 

 

Ealing comedies and Charles Chrichton? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hint#2-- this director's

6 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Ealing comedies and Charles Chrichton? 

No.

Hint#2-- This director not only directed classic films, he also composed some songs, which have become standards, which were often used in his own films. He collaborated with some of the best-known composers and lyricists from the American Songbook.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are Victor Schertzinger.  One of your well known songs that has become a standard is I Remember You from the last film that you directed, The Fleet's In.  You also directed One Night of Love, which won a couple of Oscars and was nominated for several others, including Best Picture.  As for the series, you directed Road to Singapore and Road to Zanzibar, which were the first two "Road" movies in the series.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 12:05 AM, starliteyes said:

You are Victor Schertzinger.  One of your well known songs that has become a standard is I Remember You from the last film that you directed, The Fleet's In.  You also directed One Night of Love, which won a couple of Oscars and was nominated for several others, including Best Picture.  As for the series, you directed Road to Singapore and Road to Zanzibar, which were the first two "Road" movies in the series.

Star, I had just about given up on this one!

 Victor was so versatile, being a director and composer. Johnny Mercer wrote the lyrics to both of his most famous songs-- 

I Remember You  and Tangerine-- two pop standards. And Frank Loesser wrote the lyrics to My Favorite Schertzinger Song, 

Sand in My Shoes.

Star,  excellent work and You're on the Road To The Next Question--

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a short while, I was under contract with a major studio.  Although most of my movies were non-musicals, my first love was dancing.  I did get the chance, however, to display my dancing ability in a couple of movies.  My last movie was a film noir for another studio, where I received top female billing in an all-star cast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

For a short while, I was under contract with a major studio.  Although most of my movies were non-musicals, my first love was dancing.  I did get the chance, however, to display my dancing ability in a couple of movies.  My last movie was a film noir for another studio, where I received top female billing in an all-star cast.

Sally Forrest???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Princess!  You are really sharp today.  That's absolutely correct.  Too bad she didn't stay in Hollywood longer.  I've always loved seeing Ms. Forrest on the screen.  TCM showed "The Strip" earlier this week, and she was very good in it.  And she got to dance a couple of numbers.  It's all yours, Princess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in silent movies and I was in the talkies, but I didn't become well-known until TV-- even though I was a supporting actress who backed up the top movie stars: Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck and Katharine Hepburn, just to name a few.

So, I became famous on a classic TV show and all I did was babysit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that might be veteran character actress Elizabeth Patterson who played Mrs. Trumbull, little Ricky's babysitter, on "I Love Lucy".

Image result for mrs. trumbull on "I Love Lucy" 

She was in many movies over the years, usually playing mothers, grandmothers, and aunts.  One of my favorites was "Hide-Out" from 1934.  A racketeer on the lam, Robert Montgomery, crashes his car near a farm in Connecticut.  The farm family takes him in and nurses him back to health, not knowing who he is.  Elizabeth Patterson plays the mother of the family, with Maureen O'Sullivan as the daughter, and Mickey Rooney as the kid brother.   

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe that might be veteran character actress Elizabeth Patterson who played Mrs. Trumbull, little Ricky's babysitter, on "I Love Lucy".

Image result for mrs. trumbull on "I Love Lucy" 

She was in many movies over the years, usually playing mothers, grandmothers, and aunts.  One of my favorites was "Hide-Out" from 1934.  A racketeer on the lam, Robert Montgomery, crashes his car near a farm in Connecticut.  The farm family takes him in and nurses him back to health, not knowing who he is.  Elizabeth Patterson plays the mother of the family, with Maureen O'Sullivan as the daughter, and Mickey Rooney as the kid brother.   

Yes, she was a wonderful addition to the I Love Lucy cast.

Looking back on it now, much of the success of this show had to do with the tremendous show business experience, as well as Talent, of every cast member-- even Little Ricky had had two years drumming in Showbiz before he joined the cast at the age of 5!

Miles, it's your turn to Babalu--

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Princess.  Now, do you know me?  I was a very popular leading man in the silent film era.  My transition to sound films was not as successful.  However, I did make a movie with Shirley Temple, and another with Alice Faye.  Years later, I was a regular on a popular TV sitcom.  I played the father of the female star.  Do you know me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  Now, do you know me?  I was a very popular leading man in the silent film era.  My transition to sound films was not as successful.  However, I did make a movie with Shirley Temple, and another with Alice Faye.  Years later, I was a regular on a popular TV sitcom.  I played the father of the female star.  Do you know me?

Is it Charles Farrell? He had starred in many silents, including Old Ironsides7th Heaven, and Street Angel. He appeared in Change of Heart with Shirley Temple, and Tail Spin with Alice Faye. He later played the father on My Little Margie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know me?

I was originally known for my athletic prowess. I was never a major "A"-level movie star, but I was well known, especially by younger audiences. I played several famous fictional heroes that were/are household names. I was credited under my real name, and under my nickname. 

Do you know me?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...