Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Do you know me?

I was originally known for my athletic prowess. I was never a major "A"-level movie star, but I was well known, especially by younger audiences. I played several famous fictional heroes that were/are household names. I was credited under my real name, and under my nickname. 

Do you know me?

Are you Larry "Buster" Crabbe?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Do you know me?

I was originally known for my athletic prowess. I was never a major "A"-level movie star, but I was well known, especially by younger audiences. I played several famous fictional heroes that were/are household names. I was credited under my real name, and under my nickname. 

Do you know me?

Clarence Linden Crabbe II, and better known as Buster Crabbe was Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and Tarzan to the Baby Boomers.

I remember watching him as Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion which is real life son Cullen,   called Cuffy in the shw.

Flash Gordon was definitely a Saturday morning highlights for me after all those other current TV programs for children.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Clarence Linden Crabbe II, and better known as Buster Crabbe was Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and Tarzan to the Baby Boomers.

I remember watching him as Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion which is real life son Cullen,   called Cuffy in the shw.

Flash Gordon was definitely a Saturday morning I like for me after all those other current TV programs for children

Doh! Princess, you are correct, as well, but Thenryb beat you by about 3 seconds! Here's a consolation photo of Buster.

crabbe3.jpg?w=584

• Haha 1
On 2/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Clarence Linden Crabbe II, and better known as Buster Crabbe

On 2/7/2018 at 5:51 PM, Thenryb said:

May I suggest that Princess take this one. I know her post was two minutes later than mine but so much more comprehensive.

Princess, the thread is yours, unless you wish to pass.

This post war character actor was a one-man war machine unto himself. Although he never starred in a war movie, he gave great and memorable support to some Classics in that genre. And to a lesser degree he did the same thing with westerns.

But he was versatile and was also well-known for key roles in a classic police Noir, a William Inge play adaptation,  and even an Elvis Presley movie, which was above average for Elvis.

if you didn't catch this actor in the movies, you surely saw him on television in the 1950s up through to the 80s in a variety of roles.

He was the kind of actor that nobody really talks about or would go to the movie Just because he was in it,  but when he appeared on the screen people knew that they were going to see a class act and something memorable.

His peers recognized his talent-- giving him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

You probably know his name, but you certainly know his face.

When you identify this actor, also name some of his memorable roles, including the one which garnered him the Oscar nomination.

7 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Princess, I'm going to guess Arthur O'Connell, nominated for his role in "Anatomy of a Murder".

No, not the affable Arthur O'Connell.

When I say this actor was virtually a Supporting Actor War Machine by himself, I'm not joking. He appeared in more than a dozen war dramas-- some of the most famous and most critically acclaimed films of that genre.

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

No, not the affable Arthur O'Connell.

When I say this actor was virtually a Supporting Actor War Machine by himself, I'm not joking. He appeared in more than a dozen war dramas-- some of the most famous and most critically acclaimed films of that genre.

Then perhaps it's Richard Jaeckel. He was in Guadalcanal DiarySands of Iwo JimaBattlegroundAttack!The Dirty Dozen, and many other war movies, He was in Come Back, Little Sheba, based on William Inge's play. And he was nominated for an Oscar in 1970 for Sometimes a Great Notion. I enjoyed him in many movies, but a particular favorite is his government bad guy in 1984's Starman.

52 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Then perhaps it's Richard Jaeckel. He was in Guadalcanal DiarySands of Iwo JimaBattlegroundAttack!The Dirty Dozen, and many other war movies, He was in Come Back, Little Sheba, based on William Inge's play. And he was nominated for an Oscar in 1970 for Sometimes a Great Notion. I enjoyed him in many movies, but a particular favorite is his government bad guy in 1984's Starman.

Lawrence, I know you appreciate this journeyman character actor as much as I do.

A few years ago I was watching the DVD of The Lineup, which had been a TV series. There were so many great actors in that movie:  Robert Keith, Eli Wallach , Vaughn Taylor, Raymond Bailey et al. But the only one that really made an impression on me in the entire movie was Richard Jaeckel. And it's amazing when you look at his credits --how he could go from all those war movies  and classic westerns to William Inge and back.  But through it all he kept his own indelible individuality on every project. ( And don't forget Bill Holden's The Devil's Brigade.)

Very good job Lawrence! And now it's your turn--

• Like 1

Do you know me?

For a period of about 7 years, I was one of the top leading ladies in the industry. These were tumultuous years for the nation and the world, but I provided a needed respite from such grim times. Most of my films are regarded as fluff now, and my name is virtually unknown to the modern public, but in my day I was a household name. Arguably my greatest asset was my voice, and I sang in most of my pictures, with one of my songs going on to be considered a standard. I had two marriages to well-known men, the second of which lasted over 50 years. I caused quite a sensation when I quit movies, despite still being an in-demand star, to concentrate on my family. I later worked on radio, often with my second husband.

Do you know me?

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Do you know me?

For a period of about 7 years, I was one of the top leading ladies in the industry. These were tumultuous years for the nation and the world, but I provided a needed respite from such grim times. Most of my films are regarded as fluff now, and my name is virtually unknown to the modern public, but in my day I was a household name. Arguably my greatest asset was my voice, and I sang in most of my pictures, with one of my songs going on to be considered a standard. I had two marriages to well-known men, the second of which lasted over 50 years. I caused quite a sensation when I quit movies, despite still being an in-demand star, to concentrate on my family. I later worked on radio, often with my second husband.

Do you know me?

Alice Faye and she was married to Phil Harris, her second husband; they had a radio show.

• 2 weeks later...

This actor may have slipped through the cracks, but he had many good opportunities in top films with top stars. Unfortunately  he never really caught on with the public.

You might say he was one of those guys who showed up in Hollywood, While a number of the male stars were overseas fighting in the War.

He had a contract at a major studio and appeared in a Hitchcock Hollywood movie.

Some of his notable co-stars were Lucille Ball, Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable.

In his personal life he was married to an Academy Award -winning actress.

After identifying this actor, can you also name one of his movies that you have enjoyed?

Although I was a trained operatic singer, I didn't get the opportunity to sing much in the movies.  During the 1940's, most of my movies were made at the same studio.  My career  got a big boost when my handsome husband and I starred in a  television sitcom.

2 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Although I was a trained operatic singer, I didn't get the opportunity to sing much in the movies.  During the 1940's, most of my movies were made at the same studio.  My career  got a big boost when my handsome husband and I starred in a  television sitcom.

Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling starred in tv's Topper together ?