Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

For years I was under contract with a major studio, although I made movies for other studios.  I was sometimes featured in musicals, as well as comedies and dramas.  I later found success on television, playing a worker in an office.

Thanks.  Do you know me?  I am an American, although shortly after I was born, my family moved abroad where I was raised until returning to the U.S. at age nine.  I started in show business in vaudeville, and eventually became a radio actor. I was cast in a musical film with Bing Crosby and as I thought my film career was about to take off, military service in World War II took precedence.  I resumed my carer after the war in a series of films, some musicals and some comedies, where I perfected my film persona as a fastidious, somewhat prissy, self involved guy.  I was in a couple more films with Bing and later in some with Doris Day, with whom I became good friends.  By the mid-fifties I was appearing on stage in New York and London.  I then made the rounds of the talk shows, appearing many times with Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, and Merv Griffin.  In the sixties and seventies I became a regular or semi-regular on several TV sitcoms.  Do you know me?    

I began my movie career in the 1940's.  Although I was not considered an "A" list actress, I did appear in a number of "A" list musicals, usually singing only one number.  I also appeared in dramas and Westerns, but rarely was the female lead.  I appeared in several MGM and Warner Bros. musicals.

On 4/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, Terrence1 said:

I began my movie career in the 1940's.  Although I was not considered an "A" list actress, I did appear in a number of "A" list musicals, usually singing only one number.  I also appeared in dramas and Westerns, but rarely was the female lead.  I appeared in several MGM and Warner Bros. musicals.

Janis Paige ?

52 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Not a bad guess, but she's not the one.  I think Janis Paige starred in a number movies at Warner Bros., whereas she was more of a featured actress.

52 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Not a bad guess, but she's not the one.  I think Janis Paige starred in a number movies at Warner Bros., whereas she was more of a featured actress.

Terrence, Janis was in Silk Stockings with Fred Astaire at MGM, In Romance On the High Sea with Doris at Warner Bros., she was in Cheyenne a western and dramas. Janis started her film career in the 1940's. Not only wasn't my guess "not a bad guess", but it fit your clues. You wrote in your original clue that she wasn't the lead

Guess=Clue, so you need to give another clue

32 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Terrence, Janis was in Silk Stockings with Fred Astaire at MGM, In Romance On the High Sea with Doris at Warner Bros., she was in Cheyenne a western and dramas. Not only wasn't my guess "not a bad guess", but it fit your clues. You wrote in your original clue that she wasn't the lead

Guess=Clue, so you need to give another clue

That was going to be my guess too because Janis Paige co-starred with Doris Day in another movie, as well, called Please Don't Eat the Daisies. And she performed two songs in Fred Astaire's last MGM musical Silk Stockings.

Also Janis was featured in some heavy "A" list dramas like Bette Davis' Winter Meeting, Of Human Bondage, 1946 with Alexis Smith and Paul Henreid and The Caretakers,  starring Joan Crawford.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

That was going to be my guess too because Janis Paige co-starred with Doris Day in another movie, as well, called Please Don't Eat the Daisies. And she performed two songs in Fred Astaire's last MGM musical Silk Stockings.

Also Janis was featured in some heavy "A" list dramas like Bette Davis' Winter Meeting, Of Human Bondage, 1946 with Alexis Smith and Paul Henreid and The Caretakers,  starring Joan Crawford.

Exactly Princess, glad you agree with me :);)

• Thanks 1

Janis Paige was the first one who came to my mind, too, but since it's not her, how about Gale Robbins?  She appeared in 3 movies with Fred Astaire - The Barkleys of Broadway, Three Little Words and The Belle of New York - and Calamity Jane with Doris Day.

12 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Janis Paige was the first one who came to my mind, too, but since it's not her, how about Gale Robbins?  She appeared in 3 movies with Fred Astaire - The Barkleys of Broadway, Three Little Words and The Belle of New York - and Calamity Jane with Doris Day.

Star, I had already answered Gale Robbins. Glad you also thought it was Janis Paige since she did fit the clues that had been given at that point. Gale Robbins isn't exactly a household name that comes to mind immediately, she was the actress that played Adelaide Addams in Calamity Jane. Since You and Princess and I all thought it was  Janis Paige, I guess it's true, great minds think alike :) I was about to leave the thread open, since you also guessed the actress the poster was thinking about, you're welcome to take the thread or Thread Open

• Thanks 1

Do you know me?  Although I never became a star, I was a busy supporting actress who appeared in a number of A productions, including 5 Best Picture nominees, 1 of which actually won the award.  My roles weren’t always large, but I usually gave a memorable performance.  Unfortunately I tended to be typecast as a tough talking, hard boiled dame and, as the years went by, my parts became smaller and smaller and sometimes I didn’t even get any billing.  Falling on hard times, I got into trouble with the law on a couple of occasions, but I never gave up on my career and did some sporadic work on television before I died from natural causes. 

Who am I?

14 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Do you know me?  Although I never became a star, I was a busy supporting actress who appeared in a number of A productions, including 5 Best Picture nominees, 1 of which actually won the award.  My roles weren’t always large, but I usually gave a memorable performance.  Unfortunately I tended to be typecast as a tough talking, hard boiled dame and, as the years went by, my parts became smaller and smaller and sometimes I didn’t even get any billing.  Falling on hard times, I got into trouble with the law on a couple of occasions, but I never gave up on my career and did some sporadic work on television before I died from natural causes. 

Who am I?

Sounds like she might be Gladys George ?

That's a good guess, lav, but that's not who I am.    I'm a little bit younger than Gladys and I was never nominated for an Oscar like she was.  

Of the 5 Best Picture nominees that I was in, 3 of them were from the 1930's and 2 from the 1940's.  The one that won for Best Picture was a very famous film.