Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

No, I'm not Mowbray either. I was born in NYC.

In my early films I sometimes played gangsters (usually the "dude" kind), but most often I was a professional man - businessman, attorney, editor. Sometimes I was a rejected suitor, and sometimes an opportunistic "other man." I played a choleric boss in a series of films based on popular charcacters from another media source.

> How about Pierre Watkin?

No, no - I was better known that Watkin.

Let's see now -- in one of my more famous films I played a public official who had to argue against one of the world's most popular figures. That film is shown every year, for a good reason. There are two versions of that film, one of which is somewhat controversial, even though the versions are identical in all respects but one.

Jerome Cowan is correct. Good work, Ken, but it appears that Bartlett posted the correct answer first.

Besides portraying the quickly killed off Miles Archer in "The Maltese Falcon," Cowan was in "Miracle on 34th Street" as the unfortunate district attorney who had to prosecute Kris Kringle. Cowan gave dependable character support in over a hundred films, including as Dagwood Bumstead's irrascible boss in many, if not all, of the movies in the "Blondie" series.

Who's on deck?

> Jerome Cowan is correct. Good work, Ken, but it

> appears that Bartlett posted the correct answer

> first.

>

>

> Who's on deck?

Go ahead Ken, you go! You named the movie also....but on one condition, your choice for the next guess is not Robert Taylor LOL!

Bartlett

OK! Times a wastin'. here goes: I started my career on the Broadway Stage. I got my first break in movies nine years after my first stage appearance in a "classic movie". I am a familiar co-star, who started my roles in pictures playing "heavies", but became noted for my comedy roles, especially when I did a "Slow Burn" routine. I also became a household name when I ventured into television playing a pompus next door neighbor in a highly successful television show. Do You Know Me?

To repeat...I started my career on the Broadway Stage. I got my first break in films nine years after my first appearance on Broadway in a "classic" movie, and became a noted co-star from that point on. I started my film career playing "heavies" but had a flair for comedy and became famous for my "Slow Burn" routine. I ventured into television when I portrayed a pompous next door neighbor on a highly successful show. Do you know me?

Bartlett

Bartlett, can you please give us a little more to work with? For example, a time frame might help us use process of elimination. You don't have to give away too much at a time, just a little nudge. My guesses thus far were pretty much the same as those who posted, and I also thought of:

Gale Gordon,

but what "classic movie" was he ever in? I can't think of one. Hmmm, "pompous next door neighbor." Larry Keating?

Try this.....I was a pompus next door neighbor on televison between 1951/1953. My films which I co-starred in ranged from Cagney to Martin & Lewis. You would recognize me on sight by my physical appearance which I in certain roles was forced to "hide". Do you know me now??? ;)

Bartlett

> Okay. Let's try the Old ****, Fred Clark.

Well..polish my head....Correct!!! My first movie in 1947, I co-starred with Claude Rains and Constance Bennett in "The Unsuspected". I played next door neighbor "Harry Morton" on the Burns and Allen show. I co-starred with Cagney in "White Heat" and made a couple of movies with Martin & Lewis one being "The Caddy". Your turn Mr. Mysterious!

Okay. I will try one.

I was a handsome Hollywood leading man, as my nickname would indicate. My first wife was a very well known member of Hollywood. When we married, at least one person of note remarked that it would not stand the test of time because she was so much older than me. We were married until her death, at the age of 87. Towards the end of my life, I produced a film about my first wife.

Who am I?

> I played next door neighbor "Harry Morton" on the

> Burns and Allen show.

>

> And, of course, Larry Keating (mentioned further down

> - or up, depending on which way you read these) as

> well as Fred Clark was "married" to Blanche on the

> B&A Show.

>

> Bill

Yes, Keating was also the pompous neighbor, but I don't think his debut film made in 1945 "Song of the Sarong", is considered a "classic". ( I could be wrong) Also Keating did not appear on the Broadway Stage for nine years before his debut in films.