Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Thanks.  Isabel Jewell was cast as "White Trash" Emmy Slattery in "Gone with The Wind".  Here is a photo:

Related image 

Now, do you know me?  I was a European born stage actress who was brought to Hollywood by Noel Coward to recreate my stage role in a movie version of a play that I had appeared in.  The movie won an Oscar and my movie career was off and running.  I was already middle-aged and certainly not the leading lady type, so I was often cast as a maid or servant, or possibly an aunt or family friend of the leading character.  I specialized in playing busy body types who were often rather high strung.  I was known for my high pitched shriek when my character got excited, which brought a bit of comic relief to some otherwise dramatic films.  My movie career lasted for more than twenty years.  My final film was a noted courtroom drama.  Do you know me?

10 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.  Isabel Jewell was cast as "White Trash" Emmy Slattery in "Gone with The Wind".  Here is a photo:

Related image 

Now, do you know me?  I was a European born stage actress who was brought to Hollywood by Noel Coward to recreate my stage role in a movie version of a play that I had appeared in.  The movie won an Oscar and my movie career was off and running.  I was already middle-aged and certainly not the leading lady type, so I was often cast as a maid or servant, or possibly an aunt or family friend of the leading character.  I specialized in playing busy body types who were often rather high strung.  I was known for my high pitched shriek when my character got excited, which brought a bit of comic relief to some otherwise dramatic films.  My movie career lasted for more than twenty years.  My final film was a noted courtroom drama.  Do you know me?

One of my very very personal favorites: Una O'Connor.

She was also a personal favorite of director James Whale who utilized her to Great advantage in two of his films:

The Invisible Man and The Bride of Frankenstein.

Her last appearance was in Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, directed by Billy Wilder.

On 5/2/2018 at 8:38 AM, MilesArcher said:

Related image 

Miles, Princess answered Una O'Connor. I was about to post her, but Princess beat me to it. Please answer Princess

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.  Yes, Princess, it's Una O'Connor.  She was brought to Hollywood to reprise her stage role in "Cavalcade".  She stayed and had a very nice career.   

Image result for una o'connor 

Good work, Princess.  You get to go next.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Miles

This unique character actor is well known in terms of facial recognition, but not so well known in terms of his name.

He played characters who were officious and bumbling. He may not have been on the screen more than 10 to 15 minutes at any one time, yet he left such a lasting impression with his Charismatic funny face and voice.

Though not famous himself, he was always invited back by the famous directors and stars to do several turns in their vehicles.

The great directors like Frank Capra and Preston Sturges would use him in key roles. MGM utilized him for 2 films starring Eleanor Powell. Speaking of famous directors, he also appeared in one of Dorothy Arzner's most outstanding films.

When you identify this Unforgettable character actor, please also name at least one film in which he appeared in for the above-mentioned clues.

The answer would appear to be Raymond Walburn.  For Dorothy Arzner, he was in Craig's Wife, the 2 Eleanor Powell musicals were Born to Dance and Broadway Melody of 1938, one of the Frank Capra movies he was in was Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and one for Preston Sturges was Christmas in July.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 1:19 PM, starliteyes said:

The answer would appear to be Raymond Walburn.  For Dorothy Arzner, he was in Craig's Wife, the 2 Eleanor Powell musicals were Born to Dance and Broadway Melody of 1938, one of the Frank Capra movies he was in was Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and one for Preston Sturges was Christmas in July.

Star-- I've got to say that this was really good on your part. Because I thought it was maybe too hard of a question. But I'm so impressed with Raymond Walburn that I thought I would just try and do it anyway. Few people remember him at all, but everyone identifies him once they see his " Mr. Monopoly " face.

Good Show! It's all yours--

• Thanks 1

Do you know me?  I made my movie debut at the age of 6 and, a few years later, I became the first child actress from Hollywood to be summoned to New York to appear in a Broadway show, a musical with a famous musical star.  My role in the show won me a lot of publicity.  When I returned to Hollywood, I made only a few more films before retiring from acting while still in my teens, but two of those films are probably the ones I am best remembered for today. 

Who am I? 

I needed  the hint about Cole Porter to jog my memory about this one.

Ethel Merman sing a song with a little girl in " Panama Hattie "--"Let's Be Buddies".

I can vaguely remember the girl now--it was Joan  Carroll.

Joan appeared in two of my all-time favorite movies:  Meet Me In St Louis and TheBells of St. Mary's.

Joan was a good actress and I always felt sorry for her in St. Louis because Margaret O'Brien was so over-the-top that nobody could compete with that.

But when you see Joan in The Bells of st. Mary's, doing those scenes with Ingrid Bergman, you realize what a fine actress that little girl was.

But she had to be good to keep up with Ethel Merman every night on Broadway!

This handsome character actor spent a lot of his Golden Age Hollywood career at MGM.  Yet probably his 2 most famous roles were at 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers.  He usually played well to do upper-class men, often professionals.

He was born in a foreign country and had started his film career in silents. 

At MGM he supported all the top Stars, Jeanette MacDonald, Judy Garland, Clark Gable, and Spencer Tracy just to name a few.

14 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Ian Hunter?

Star-- You are truly amazing. This was another hard one for me to try and wrap into a question. But I like him so much and he's gotten so little recognition, I just thought I'd try.

I've got the DVD of Ziegfeld Girl and I know you like the scene he plays with the young Judy.

Again, another great job,  Star, your turn--

• Thanks 1

Do you know me?  After working for the government during WWII, for which I received a citation, and becoming a grandmother, I finally pursued my first dream – acting.  I made a lot of movies in which I was a bit player, but I had one of those faces that was highly recognizable.  The one movie for which I am probably best remembered is a very famous musical.  I also did a lot of television and in the 50’s I was a semi-regular on a popular sitcom that revolved around a young boy.  In the 60’s, I was in another show based on a comic book hero in which I played the aunt of one of the leading characters.

Who am I?

Madge  Blake got around--she was Amos McCoy's girlfriend and Larry Mondello's mother on Leave It to Beaver.

Years later I found out that she was one of Vincente Minnelli's little people, as she was featured in An American in Paris.

BTW-- She was from Kansas.

She did get around, and she seems to have had a rather interesting life.  I always thought she seemed a little too old to be Larry Mondello's mother, though. 

Anyway, you got it and the thread is yours.

I was a successful singer on Broadway, but most people remember me in a classic TV series where I played a domesticated role in a rural setting.

When you identify me, please name my well-known Broadway show and the classic TV series I am most famous for.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:04 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I was a successful singer on Broadway, but most people remember me in a classic TV series where I played a domesticated role in a rural setting.

When you identify me, please name my well-known Broadway show and the classic TV series I am most famous for.

Hint: I was married to the brother of one of the greatest songwriters in the history of Broadway.

I think you're Jan Clayton..Jeff and Lassie's mom in the early episodes,  who sang as the original lead in Carousel on Broadway..and she was married to Robert Lerner (brother of Alan)

13 hours ago, shutoo said:

I think you're Jan Clayton..Jeff and Lassie's mom in the early episodes,  who sang as the original lead in Carousel on Broadway..and she was married to Robert Lerner (brother of Alan)

Lassie, Lassie, where are you girl?

Shutoo, I think you're right and a jolly good job too!

No reflection on Jon Provost-- I always preferred Tommy Rettig, Jan Clayton and George Cleveland.

Shutoo, You're on.....

thanks Princess..

next--I went to Hollywood as a teen to visit a relative.  I ended up staying, and after the relative urged me to try acting (and pulled a few strings) I racked up two dozen film credits.  I knew I wasn't going to be a star, so I headed to NYC..where I became well-known and socially prominent not for my acting, but initially for the man..oh make that men..I married.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, shutoo said:

thanks Princess..

next--I went to Hollywood as a teen to visit a relative.  I ended up staying, and after the relative urged me to try acting (and pulled a few strings) I racked up two dozen film credits.  I knew I wasn't going to be a star, so I headed to NYC..where I became well-known and socially prominent not for my acting, but initially for the man..oh make that men..I married.

My relative was a big star in musical/comedy..but went on to win an Oscar for a dramatic performance...we both changed our names for our show biz careers.