Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

35 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Jeanne Crain

Yes, Beautiful Jeanne Crain. Knew that last clue would do it. Her performance in Pinky earned her that Oscar nomination. Good work Princess, your thread

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely a Golden Age movie star, but few people would put me in the first tier. Maybe that's because they only remember my Glory Days from one decade, but I actually was in "A" movies in three decades.

I have the distinction of being the star of genre defining movies in 2 genres, although I'm associated primarily with one genre.

My last film was released posthumously and it was a big hit.

When you identify me, also identify two of my genre defining movies-- 1 for each genre-- and my last movie.

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm definitely a Golden Age movie star, but few people would put me in the first tier. Maybe that's because they only remember my Glory Days from one decade, but I actually was in "A" movies in three decades.

I have the distinction of being the star of genre defining movies in 2 genres, although I'm associated primarily with one genre.

When you identify me, also identify two of my genre defining movies-- 1 for each genre-- and my last movie.

Hint#1-- I was part of a popular film duo

On 7/17/2018 at 1:15 AM, Princess of Tap said:

On 7/17/2018 at 8:20 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1-- I was part of a popular film duo

Hint #2-- I married my agent.

Is it Alan Ladd?  He married former actress turned agent Sue Carol.  Two genre defining movies would be This Gun for Hire (film noir) and Shane (western).  The hit film released after his death was The Carpetbaggers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Is it Alan Ladd?  He married former actress turned agent Sue Carol.  Two genre defining movies would be This Gun for Hire (film noir) and Shane (western).  The hit film released after his death was The Carpetbaggers.

Yes, Laddie never gets the credit that he deserves in the Golden Age Pantheon. It's hard to believe that "This Gun for Hire"was his first starring role because he is so magnificent in it.  But now I think "The Blue Dahlia" is my favorite.

Well done. Star, your turn--

• Thanks 1

Do you know me?  I was a heavy-set character actor with a very distinctive voice, which was the result of a childhood injury.  One would think that my rather unique voice might have held me back as an actor, but instead it became a trademark of mine.  I started out in silents and, over the course of 50 years, I appeared in a wide variety of films, usually in a comical role.  In the 1950’s my fame grew even greater due to a couple of television series, one of which was a children’s show that I hosted.  That show gave me a whole new set of fans among the very young.  Right up until the time I died, I was active in films.  Who am I?

47 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Do you know me?  I was a heavy-set character actor with a very distinctive voice, which was the result of a childhood injury.  One would think that my rather unique voice might have held me back as an actor, but instead it became a trademark of mine.  I started out in silents and, over the course of 50 years, I appeared in a wide variety of films, usually in a comical role.  In the 1950’s my fame grew even greater due to a couple of television series, one of which was a children’s show that I hosted.  That show gave me a whole new set of fans among the very young.  Right up until the time I died, I was active in films.  Who am I?

Sounds like Andy Devine. I use to watch Andy's Gang, I loved that show

Once again, lavender, you have scored!  I remember watching Andy Devine, too, when I was a kid, although I don't think I was aware of the name of the show.

You're up next.

Thanks Star, I still sing the Andy's Gang theme song to myself every so often LOL I got a gang, you got a gang, everybody's gotta have a gang, but there's only one gang for me, Andy's Gang ! :D

next

Actress appeared in films, stage and tv. A character she played in films was the inspiration for a famous fictional character. She was given a rare honor after she passed. Actress? A summer farm stand ice cream sundae for telling us the honor she was given.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:59 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Actress appeared in films, stage and tv. A character she played in films was the inspiration for a famous fictional character. She was given a rare honor after she passed. Actress? A summer farm stand ice cream sundae for telling us the honor she was given.

I thought about this one the other day, and came up with Glenda Farrell. Her Torchy Blaine character was said to have inspired Lois Lane in the Superman comic books. She later won an Emmy for Ben Casey

However, I couldn't figure out her rare posthumous honor, unless it was her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought about this one the other day, and came up with Glenda Farrell. Her Torchy Blaine character was said to have inspired Lois Lane in the Superman comic books. She later won an Emmy for Ben Casey

However, I couldn't figure out her rare posthumous honor, unless it was her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Glenda Farrell is the actress Lawrence. The honor was that Glenda is the only actress to be buried at the West Point Military Academy Cemetary. Good work, your thread.

• Like 1

Next:

I was an actor of imposing stature who played a variety of character roles after the advent of sound films. One of my most recognized roles in a cult horror classic sequel. I later segued into directing and found more success, with some of my films receiving Oscar nominations in various categories. However, I was eventually blacklisted and forced to move to Europe for work, where I died in the mid 1950's.

Do you know who I am?

You are Irving Pichel, who forever will be remembered as the Director who discovered Natalie Wood.

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Next:

I was an actor of imposing stature who played a variety of character roles after the advent of sound films. One of my most recognized roles in a cult horror classic sequel. I later segued into directing and found more success, with some of my films receiving Oscar nominations in various categories. However, I was eventually blacklisted and forced to move to Europe for work, where I died in the mid 1950's.

Do you know who I am?

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

You are Irving Pichel, who forever will be remembered as the Director who discovered Natalie Wood.

That's the man. Good job, Princess! The thread is all yours.

• Thanks 1

I'm one of those character actors where everyone knows my face but most people probably don't remember my name. I was never considered to be a movie star,  but I supported all the big names: Henry Fonda, Sidney Poitier, Audrey Hepburn, and Robert Redford-- just to name a few.

Early on I became a fixture in classic television.

Although I was best known for drama, I was also adept in comedy.

I was lucky to have a top-notch career that spanned four decades.

A number of my movies are considered to be important pivotal Classics in Cinema for their decade.

In the 1960s I was featured in two films that are considered to be two of the most popular classics in Hollywood history and probably most people on this website have seen them.

When you identify me, please also name 3 of my most famous films.

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm one of those character actors where everyone knows my face but most people probably don't remember my name. I was never considered to be a movie star,  but I supported all the big names: Henry Fonda, Sidney Poitier, Audrey Hepburn, and Robert Redford-- just to name a few.

A number of my movies are considered to be important pivotal Classics in Cinema for their decade.

In the 1960s I was featured in two films that are considered to be two of the most popular classics in Hollywood history and probably most people on this website have seen them.

Hint #1) My legendary scene in a 1960s classic film is often reenacted in movies and TV shows and in comedy sketches.

Hint#2) I have won the Academy Award.

On 8/1/2018 at 12:25 AM, Princess of Tap said:

On 8/1/2018 at 8:16 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint #1) My legendary scene in a 1960s classic film is often reenacted in movies and TV shows and in comedy sketches.