Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

You're thinking exactly right!

What an actor! What a man!

2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I'm thinking it's Anthony Quinn.

Star, The ball is in your court.....

I popularized a famous dance while working in the Ziegfeld Follies. I then made some silent films which, sadly, most are lost. F. Scott Fitzgerald also mentions me by name in The Great Gatsby.  

Is it Gilda Gray?  For lack of a better word, she "invented" the shimmy due to nerves.  I know she was in the Ziegfeld Follies and made a few movies.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:55 AM, cinemaspeak59 said:

I popularized a famous dance while working in the Ziegfeld Follies. I then made some silent films which, sadly, most are lost. F. Scott Fitzgerald also mentions me by name in The Great Gatsby.  

23 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Is it Gilda Gray?  For lack of a better word, she "invented" the shimmy due to nerves.  I know she was in the Ziegfeld Follies and made a few movies.

cinemaspeak, is this correct?

Do you know me?  I’m a character actress who had a career in the theater and also as an author/playwright.  When talkies came along, I left the theater for Hollywood and started my career in films at the age of 57.  Unfortunately, it was a rather short-lived career since I died at the age of 60.  Still, in that relatively brief time, I managed to make 29 feature films.  Who am I?

17 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Do you know me?  I’m a character actress who had a career in the theater and also as an author/playwright.  When talkies came along, I left the theater for Hollywood and started my career in films at the age of 57.  Unfortunately, it was a rather short-lived career since I died at the age of 60.  Still, in that relatively brief time, I managed to make 29 feature films.  Who am I?

I usually played disapproving characters with a tart tongue.

8 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I usually played disapproving characters with a tart tongue.

Definitely a childhood favorite-- Aunt Betsey Trotwood, Edna May Oliver

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Definitely a childhood favorite-- Aunt Betsey Trotwood, Edna May Oliver

Sorry, Princess, but I'm not Edna May Oliver.  My time in the movies was briefer than hers.  My 29 films were made between 1929 and 1933.  Since I died from heat prostration in 1933, that was the end of my film career.

You are Louise Closser Hale.  She may be remembered for "Dinner At Eight", "The White Sister", and even "Duck Soup".

Louise Closser Hale 

In this promotional photo for "Dinner At Eight", she is seated next to Billie Burke.  The whole cast is sipping Coca-Cola.

Louise Closser Hale - Dinner at Eight - Jean Harlow 

• Like 2

You're right, Miles, and I just saw her in another movie last night, which I had not seen before and enjoyed very much.  It was Movie Crazy starring Harold Lloyd.

Back to you, Miles.

Do you know me?  I had an older brother who was also an actor. We came to the U.S. from Europe as stage actors, but we were soon being offered roles in movies.  Because of our heritage and accents, we tended to be typecast as priests, although we actually played a wide variety of roles.  We were in several movies together and several for director John Ford.  In the 1950's, I did much more television work than my brother, although he did some.  I even appeared in a Mickey Mouse Club serial.  In the late fifties and early sixties I was in my western period, guest starring in episodes of "Bat Masterson", "Bonanza", "Maverick", "Rawhide", and "Wagon Train", although no one would ever think of me as a western star.  I was a character actor my entire career.  My brother may have been better known, after all he did win an Oscar, but I worked more often.  Do you know me?   

28 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I had an older brother who was also an actor. We came to the U.S. from Europe as stage actors, but we were soon being offered roles in movies.  Because of our heritage and accents, we tended to be typecast as priests, although we actually played a wide variety of roles.  We were in several movies together and several for director John Ford.  In the 1950's, I did much more television work than my brother, although he did some.  I even appeared in a Mickey Mouse Club serial.  In the late fifties and early sixties I was in my western period, guest starring in episodes of "Bat Masterson", "Bonanza", "Maverick", "Rawhide", and "Wagon Train", although no one would ever think of me as a western star.  I was a character actor my entire career.  My brother may have been better known, after all he did win an Oscar, but I worked more often.  Do you know me?   

Unbelievable that these two brothers who usually played priests were Irish Protestants. LOL

The older brother was Barry Fitzgerald and his younger brother Arthur Shields were great character actors. Shields is the family name. And of course, Barry won the Oscar for " Going My Way ".

BTW-- I've got a terrific DVD of Arthur on Perry Mason.

Miles, good question and you're still up on Briefly Lyrical too.

Very good, Princess.  By the way, it was the "Hardy Boys" serial on "The Mickey Mouse Club" that Arthur Shields appeared in.  

It's your turn now, Princess.

8 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Joan Caulfield?

Yes. And I'm old enough to remember how beautiful she was and how much fun "Sally" was with Marion Lorne.

That was top rate, Star: Your turn.

• Thanks 1

Do you know me?  My film career lasted 10 years and was over by the end of the 1930’s.  My first husband had an unusual last name which I kept as my professional last name, even though I married two more times.  In some ways my personal life was even more colorful than some of the movies I made.  Who am I?