Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

On 5/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This handsome Hollywood actor starred in one of the earliest half-hour black and white drama -mystery TV series.

Years later he co-starred in a hour-long color TV police series which has become rather iconic.

Noted for some Sci-Fi movies, he was also successful as a radio actor.

When you identify this actor, also list his classic TV series, one of his Sci-Fi movies and his biggest radio success.

Hint: He was married to a beautiful actress who had a cute cinematic nickname.

It sounds like Richard Denning.  He starred in the TV series "Mr. And Mrs. North" in the fifties with Barbara Britton.  Later, he had a recurring role as Governor Jameson on "Hawaii Five-O".  His movies included "Creature From The Black Lagoon" and "Day The World Ended".  On radio, he co-starred with Lucille Ball in "My Favorite Husband".  That show was adapted for TV with the title "I Love Lucy", but it was with Lucy's insistence that her husband, Desi Arnaz, would play the husband on the show.  

Richard Denning was married to actress Evelyn Ankers, who was known as "Queen Of The B's" because of all of the horror movies that she made at Universal in the forties.  She, like Fay Wray, was known as a super screamer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It sounds like Richard Denning.  He starred in the TV series "Mr. And Mrs. North" in the fifties with Barbara Britton.  Later, he had a recurring role as Governor Jameson on "Hawaii Five-O".  His movies included "Creature From The Black Lagoon" and "Day The World Ended".  On radio, he co-starred with Lucille Ball in "My Favorite Husband".  That show was adapted for TV with the title "I Love Lucy", but it was with Lucy's insistence that her husband, Desi Arnaz, would play the husband on the show.  

Richard Denning was married to actress Evelyn Ankers, who was known as "Queen Of The B's" because of all of the horror movies that she made at Universal in the forties.  She, like Fay Wray, was known as a super screamer. 

Yes,  Miles and what took you so long?

While I'm no fan of Richard Denning's, I just adore Evelyn Ankers.

When they hired him for "Hawaii Five-O", they asked Evelyn to play his wife on the TV series.

But she said she had definitely had enough acting for a Lifetime. And she was so great in "The Wolfman".

But considering how Lon Jr threw her around, like the way my cocker spaniel used to throw around rabbits oh,

I can see why she had had enough. LOL

Thanks, Miles, you can go right back to your golf as soon as you give us another one.....

Do you know me?  I started out as a singer and guitar player in bands.  I got into films in the early 1940's, in very small roles, usually as a singer.  There was a popular western series about three cowboys who roamed the west .  When the series changed studios, I was brought in to be the comic relief of the group, as well as sing a few songs along the way.  The previous guy had been called Alibi.  I was called Lullaby. 

After being noticed in these westerns, I got to be in lots of other films, almost always in small roles.  I was in a war movie with John Wayne, a comedy with Abbott and Costello, and a musical with Gene Kelly.  In the 1950's, I was hired initially to write music for a TV show that would feature talented youngsters.  I impressed the producers enough so that I became the adult host of the show.  I also wrote the opening and closing themes songs, as well as many other songs performed on the show.  Do you know me?   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I started out as a singer and guitar player in bands.  I got into films in the early 1940's, in very small roles, usually as a singer.  There was a popular western series about three cowboys who roamed the west .  When the series changed studios, I was brought in to be the comic relief of the group, as well as sing a few songs along the way.  The previous guy had been called Alibi.  I was called Lullaby. 

After being noticed in these westerns, I got to be in lots of other films, almost always in small roles.  I was in a war movie with John Wayne, a comedy with Abbott and Costello, and a musical with Gene Kelly.  In the 1950's, I was hired initially to write music for a TV show that would feature talented youngsters.  I impressed the producers enough so that I became the adult host of the show.  I also wrote the opening and closing themes songs, as well as many other songs performed on the show.  Do you know me?   

Miles, Jimmy Dodd was a good one.

( See above)

Yes Princess, it's Jimmie Dodd.  The western series that he joined was "The Three Mesquiteers" series, where he played Lullaby Joslin.  So he went from being a mesquiteer to being a mouseketeer.  He was in "Flying Tigers" with John Wayne, "Buck Privates Come Home" with Abbott and Costello, and "Living In a Big Way" with Gene Kelly.  He wrote the opening theme to "The Mickey Mouse Club".  It was called "The Mickey Mouse March".  He also wrote the slowed down version for the closing theme and called it "The Alma Mater".  He also was responsible for many of the songs on the show, including the daily themes as well as "Encyclopedia", "Beauty Is As Beauty Does", and "Hi To You".  He also wrote a song that was recorded by Annette Funicello called "Lonely Guitar".  She also sang it on an episode of "Zorro".  

Monday was "Fun With Music Day" and Jimmie Dodd gave us this little number:

Princess, it's your turn now.

• Thanks 1

I started with a big bang in television as a jack of all trades: creating, writing, directing and producing hit TV series. I believe they call them Classics now.

It didn't take long as I easily moved into the big screen and had tremendous success.

Actually I had started as an actor but started writing scripts early on and moved between the big and the small screen.

Being in the business, I married one of the biggest female movie stars in Hollywood.

When you identify thisTV/ movie multi-talented man, also identify at least two of his movie hits and one of his classic TV series.

Brownie points for the name of his famous wife.

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I started with a big bang in television as a jack of all trades: creating, writing, directing and producing hit TV series. I believe they call them Classics now.

It didn't take long as I easily moved into the big screen and had tremendous success.

Actually I had started as an actor but started writing scripts early on and moved between the big and the small screen.

Being in the business, I married one of the biggest female movie stars in Hollywood.

When you identify thisTV/ movie multi-talented man, also identify at least two of his movie hits and one of his classic TV series.

Brownie points for the name of his famous wife.

Hint:

Everyone is familiar with at least two of his movies, which are Hollywood Classics that are known to not just film buffs,

but to the general public today as well.

Could it be Blake Edwards?  He was involved in creating TV series like "Peter Gunn" and "Mr. Lucky'.  He produced movies like "Breakfast At Tiffany's", "Days Of Wine And Roses", and "The Pink Panther " movie series.  What did they all have in common?  They had music by Henry Mancini.  Oh, by the way, Blake Edwards married Julie Andrews and produced several of her movies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Blake Edwards?  He was involved in creating TV series like "Peter Gunn" and "Mr. Lucky'.  He produced movies like "Breakfast At Tiffany's", "Days Of Wine And Roses", and "The Pink Panther " movie series.  What did they all have in common?  They had music by Henry Mancini.  Oh, by the way, Blake Edwards married Julie Andrews and produced several of her movies.

Miles, quite well done.

Yes, Blake Edwards and Henry Mancini were a winning combo on TV and in the movies.

Well, the brothers go to Mother's to hear Edie sing and you might even see Peter Gunn there too--

But Miles, you have to stay here and give us the next question.

Do you know me?  In movies I played all kinds of roles, but I seem to be best remembered for playing fathers.  I played Margaret O'Brien's father twice.  I played Elizabeth Taylor's father twice.  I even played Doris Day's father twice.  I starred in two TV series that were both based on well known movies about fathers.  I eventually ended up on a TV series that featured a horse.  No, I was not the horse's father.  Now do you know me? 

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  In movies I played all kinds of roles, but I seem to be best remembered for playing fathers.  I played Margaret O'Brien's father twice.  I played Elizabeth Taylor's father twice.  I even played Doris Day's father twice.  I starred in two TV series that were both based on well known movies about fathers.  I eventually ended up on a TV series that featured a horse.  

Of course, you're Leon Ames. You played Margaret O'Brien's father in Little Women and Meet Me in St. Louis, you played Elizabeth Taylor's dad in A Date With Judy and Little Women, you played Doris Day's dad in On Moon Light Bay and By Light of the Silvery Moon. the 2 tv series you played a father in were Life With Father and Father of The Bride and you played the neighbor, a Colonel, on the tv show show Mr. Ed

Yes, that about sums it up.  Sorry I didn't get it in until after Father's Day.  Nice work, Lavender.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles :)

This actor had a long film and tv career. Some of the roles he played were a police captain, a father, a gangster, and a coward. He had a very popular tv series in the classic time period. Actor, name some of the film titles and his tv show??????????

The film that was a remake where he played a casanova type was shown not long ago on TCM and was part of a tribute to another star.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:17 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

He played a very awful man in the most famous tv mini series

I'm going to guess this because he played that type two or three times. Chuck Connors in "Roots" and he played that same kind of role in "The Big Country".

"The Rifleman" was my father's favorite TV show.

We kids just couldn't get over the way it started and it always took us by surprise. LOL

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm going to guess this because he played that type two or three times. Chuck Connors in "Roots" and he played that same kind of role in "The Big Country".

"The Rifleman" was my father's favorite TV show.

We kids just couldn't get over the way it started and it always took us by surprise. LOL

Chuck Connors is the guy Princess. I purposely didn't give clues about  The Rifleman figuring that was too much of a giveaway.  He played a Police Captain in Pat and Mike, a Gangster in Designer Woman, the cowardly son in the Big Country, the athletic Casanova type in Move Over Darling just to name some of the films he appeared in. He played a bigoted, rapist slave owner in Roots and of course he played Lucas McCain as The Rifleman. I loved and still love The Rifleman and still watch it. He was a professional athlete before his acting career. I think Chuck Connors was great. Good work and it's your thread :)

• Thanks 1

As child actress, she worked steadily in first-rate Productions right through her teen years. Unfortunately she never quite established herself as an adult actress.

However, she worked with some of the top movie stars like, Susan Hayward, Fred MacMurray and Gregory Peck.

She also did prolific work in classic TV shows, like "Perry Mason", "The Donna Reed Show" and "The Rifleman", and also appeared as a regular on a short-lived sitcom.

When you identify this actress, please name several of her movie credits and of course her TV series.

The answer is Gigi Perreau.  Some of her movie credits are Shadow on the Wall, which TCM showed not too long ago, Never a Dull Moment and There's Always Tomorrow, both starring Fred MacMurray.  The short-lived sitcom was The Betty Hutton Show.

• Like 1