Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

William T. Orr. He produced Maverick, Sugarfoot, 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye just to name a few. He was married to Jack Warner's stepdaughter and of course the studio was Warner Bros.

Yes, growing up William T Orr was my hero. I saved a TV Guide spread of him photographed with all of his TV actors and actresses. Those were my favorite shows when I was quite small-- I think I could relate to the pattern and particularly to The Talented young women that he hired, like Connie Stevens, Jacqueline Beer, Dorothy Provine and Margarita Sierra.  My favorite men were Efrem Zimbalist, James Garner, Richard Long and Edd Kookie Byrnes.  Those were the days.

Orr himself was quite handsome, having been an actor and I always thought he looked like Guy Williams. In those days that would have been one of my highest compliments to say you looked like Zorro.

Well Lav, Thanks for the Memories and do you agree that William T Orr was the ginchiest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked his shows very much, watched most of them. To be honest, all those years ago I probably didn't pay much attention to who produced or directed the show, just paid attention to the cast. It wasn't till much later that I appreciated the vision people like William T Orr had. Yes, I'm sure he was the ginchiest LOL

next:

This very beautiful actress was best known for 2 starring roles she had. One was on a classic tv show that ran for 5 years and the other for a very famous film, again she had the leading role. She was nominated for an Emmy for the tv role. Actress, the tv role and the film she's most known for ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be Barbara Parkins?  She was nominated for an Emmy for playing Betty Anderson on TV's "Peyton Place".  She is probably best known for starring as Anne Welles in the movie "Valley Of The Dolls". 

Image result for barbara parkins peyton place 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Would it be Barbara Parkins?  She was nominated for an Emmy for playing Betty Anderson on TV's "Peyton Place".  She is probably best known for starring as Anne Welles in the movie "Valley Of The Dolls". 

Image result for barbara parkins peyton place 

 

Yes beautiful Barbara Parkins. Peyton Place was the tv show and was in the show for the full 5 years of it's run and of course Valley of The Dolls was the film. I noticed her on a Leave it To Beaver episode over the years as Beaver's babysitter. She certainly was quite a beauty. Thanks Miles, your thread :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Do you know me?  I was a very cute child actor.  The studio thought that I resembled a young Jackie Coogan, so they dressed me in an oversize sweater and ball cap, much like Coogan wore in "The Kid".  After appearing in some comedy shorts, I graduated to features, appearing with many top stars of the day, often as the son of the star or playing the star as a child.  I became a very busy actor as a teenager, appearing in a string of lightweight teen comedies.  However, as I progressed into adulthood, the roles dried up.  I started drinking and was arrested on more than one occasion for drunkenness.  I married before I was twenty, but I was an immature and abusive husband and the marriage didn't even last six months.  I married again and became a father, but my drinking continued.  I was arrested in Mexico for passing bad checks.  I got a job on a TV show, but I was dropped from the show when I had to spend four months in jail.  My second wife became an alcoholic like me.  I got involved with drug dealers and was even involved in a shoot-out with police.  My second marriage failed.  Later, I crashed my car while driving drunk and became a cripple for life.  I was on my third marriage when I tried to stab a neighbor in a dispute that my wife broke up.  I tried to end it all by slashing my wrists, but that didn't work.  My wife left me.  I tried to stop her by hitting her with one of my crutches.  Later I checked into a rehab hospital.  However, I was so depressed that I committed suicide there by overdosing on barbiturates.  I was thirty-eight years old.  Do you know me?      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

 Do you know me?  I was a very cute child actor.  The studio thought that I resembled a young Jackie Coogan, so they dressed me in an oversize sweater and ball cap, much like Coogan wore in "The Kid".  After appearing in some comedy shorts, I graduated to features, appearing with many top stars of the day, often as the son of the star or playing the star as a child.  I became a very busy actor as a teenager, appearing in a string of lightweight teen comedies.  However, as I progressed into adulthood, the roles dried up.  I started drinking and was arrested on more than one occasion for drunkenness.  I married before I was twenty, but I was an immature and abusive husband and the marriage didn't even last six months.  I married again and became a father, but my drinking continued.  I was arrested in Mexico for passing bad checks.  I got a job on a TV show, but I was dropped from the show when I had to spend four months in jail.  My second wife became an alcoholic like me.  I got involved with drug dealers and was even involved in a shoot-out with police.  My second marriage failed.  Later, I crashed my car while driving drunk and became a cripple for life.  I was on my third marriage when I tried to stab a neighbor in a dispute that my wife broke up.  I tried to end it all by slashing my wrists, but that didn't work.  My wife left me.  I tried to stop her by hitting her with one of my crutches.  Later I checked into a rehab hospital.  However, I was so depressed that I committed suicide there by overdosing on barbiturates.  I was thirty-eight years old.  Do you know me?      

The first sentence description would have ample LOL One of the very cutest child actors and one of the saddest, tragic Hollywood stories, Scotty Beckett. He was in many very good films. Anthony Adverse ( afav) and probably one of the cutest little boys in films, Kings Row, My Reputation, Nancy Goes To Rio and my favorite A Date With Judy are just some of the films he had roles in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well that didn't take very long.  Yes, Scotty Becket had such a good early life and such a tragic adult life, as short as it was.  It seems that we hear so much about child actors who couldn't cope with life when the cuteness fades and reality sets in.  

Nice job, Lavender.  You're up next.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles. Scotty Beckett's story is such a shame. He was a good actor and such a cute kid. What happens to some of these cute kids that go thru a not as cute phase as they get a little older is awful. So sad, no one was there to look after him.

I posted the one before yours,  I'll leave the Thread Open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of the biggest stars in classic television.

I was one of the biggest stars in the history of television.

I'm noted for two long running series, but I'm remembered primarily for one iconic role.

Unknown to many, I was a philanthropist of large proportions with diversified interests.

Before I became a TV star I was a character performer in many classic films.

When you identify this performer also name the iconic TV role and at least one of their many classic films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since no one has offered anything yet, I give it a try:

Lucille Ball, Lucy Ricardo and one classic film would be "Du Barry Was a Lady"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DJBeacon said:

Since no one has offered anything yet, I give it a try:

Lucille Ball, Lucy Ricardo and one classic film would be "Du Barry Was a Lady"

Thank you for noticing this question.

No, the answer is not Lucille Ball.

This person was a character actor in many Golden Age movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I was one of the biggest stars in classic television.

I was one of the biggest stars in the history of television.

I'm noted for two long running series, but I'm remembered primarily for one iconic role.

Unknown to many, I was a philanthropist of large proportions with diversified interests.

Before I became a TV star I was a character performer in many classic films.

When you identify this performer also name the iconic TV role and at least one of their many classic films.

How about Buddy Ebsen ? Jed Clampett head of the Beverly Hillbillies would be the iconic role, his other hit show was long running Barnaby Jones. He played Audrey's husband Doc in Breakfast at Tiffany's, also in Born to Dance, Broadway Melody of 1936 and also Broadway Melody of 1938, all 3 films with Eleanor Powell ?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

How about Buddy Ebsen ? Jed Clampett head of the Beverly Hillbillies would be the iconic role, his other hit show was long running Barnaby Jones. He played Audrey's husband Doc in Breakfast at Tiffany's, also in Born to Dance, Broadway Melody of 1936 and also Broadway Melody of 1938, all 3 films with Eleanor Powell ?????

I don't know anything about Buddy Ebsen being a great philanthropist.

And although I would say he did a fine role in "Breakfast at Tiffany's", I don't believe he had a prominent long-standing career as a a Golden Age character actor. He was more of a specialty act whose character was built into the plot.

Also I don't think Buddy Ebsen's TV starring career spanned 5 decades.

So I'd have to give a no to Buddy Ebsen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 11:37 AM, Princess of Tap said:

I was one of the biggest stars in classic television.

I was one of the biggest stars in the history of television.

I'm noted for two long running series, but I'm remembered primarily for one iconic role.

Unknown to many, I was a philanthropist of large proportions with diversified interests.

Before I became a TV star I was a character performer in many classic films.

When you identify this performer also name the iconic TV role and at least one of their many classic films.

 

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1-- This actor's career on television as a star spanned 5 decades.

Hint#2-- This actor won 2 Emmy Awards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...