Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

"We were married until her death, at the age of 87. Towards the end of my life, I produced a film about my first wife.

Who am I?"

You are:

Charles "Buddy" Rogers.

He was married to Mary Pickford (yeah, I've heard of her), who was 11 years older than him. Clark Gable remarked that the marriage wouldn't last... but it did, until Mary died at age 87.

Rogers produced "Mary Pickford: A life in film" (1997) in honor of his late wife.

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

You are:

Charles "Buddy" Rogers.

He was married to Mary Pickford (yeah, I've heard of

her), who was 11 years older than him. Clark Gable

remarked that the marriage wouldn't last... but it

did, until Mary died at age 87.

Rogers produced "Mary Pickford: A life in film"

(1997) in honor of his late wife.

Dan N.

Buddy Rogers, it is. I just can't seem to make a hard one, can I? :-)

Do you know me?

I was in dozens of movies, mostly as the leading lady but also in supporting roles. In my first film I played a headwaiter's wife. As the years went by, I kept on working in movies but my roles grew smaller, and in my last film I was uncredited. Still, I had no money worries as I grew older, unlike other actresses.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Buddy Rogers, it is. I just can't seem to make a hard one, can I?

Mysterious Mose, don't worry about your not being able to come up with a trivia question that stumps everyone. Because the fact is, you are the baddest bloodhound on this board! For SOLVING riddles, that is!

You, Mose, are the one who nailed Fred Clark as the correct answer to the last question here, after something like a dozen others -- including me -- had submitted clunkers. You came up with Jay Silverheels (correctly) in the previous question. You also RUINED MY PERFECT RECORD... er, perfect for 2007, that is... when you came up with the name of the little-known Olin Howland, who I was trying to slip past all of you. But I couldn't fool you, Mose!

Some of us are better at questions than we are at answers, and vice versa. You, sir, are the Super Solver -- as I say, you're the baddest bloodhound of them all!

Cheers,

Dan N.

Yes, Keating was also the pompous neighbor, but I don't think his debut film made in 1945 "Song of the Sarong", is considered a "classic".

I was just reminding people (if needed) that B&A had more than one Harry. And I liked him better... not quite so nasty!

Bill

> Yes, Keating was also the pompous neighbor, but I

> don't think his debut film made in 1945 "Song of the

> Sarong", is considered a "classic". ( I could be wrong)

>

> I was just reminding people (if needed) that B&A had

> more than one Harry. And I liked him better... not

> quite so nasty!

> Bill

And I was just reminding people ( if needed) the clues leading up to my choice of Fred Clark and not Larry Keating!

Do you know me?

I was in dozens of movies, mostly as the leading lady but also in supporting roles. In my first film I played a headwaiter's wife. As the years went by, I kept on working in movies but my roles grew smaller, and in my last film I was uncredited. Still, I had no money worries as I grew older, unlike other actresses... because I had a special sponsor.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Time is passing, Dan, and we're not coming up with anything. Got another hint to throw us? I'm intrigued, and would like to know who you are describing.

Sure. Here's some more.

I was born in Nevada and later moved to San Francisco. The "special sponsor" I mentioned earlier tried to launch me into stardom in a vehicle tailor-made for me. Alas, it didn't make me a star, but it did make a star of one of the other actors in that film.

Still, I continued to appear in films, and as I said, because of my special sponsor I never had money worries.

Who am I?

Dan N.

That was enough to find it. Thanks.

Edna Purviance

Chaplin intended real stardom for her with "A Woman of Paris" (1923). The movie was a commercial failure though it advanced the career of Adolph Menjou. She remained on Chaplin's payroll until her death, her last two appearances being non-speaking extra parts in his "Monsieur Verdoux" and "Limelight".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701012/

Bill's right... The lady is Edna Purviance. Bravo, Bill... and thanks for letting someone else pose the next question. That "someone" will be me.

Do you know me?

I'm from the midwest, and spent my early acting days on stage. Then I went into movies, and wound up making more than 130 films.

In one of my earlier pictures, I got spanked on screen (playfully, of course) by one of the great western stars. In another, I played the spurned woman to one of the great matinee idols of the day.

Who am I?

Dan N.

A shot in the dark. I googled "actress +over 130 films" and she came up, along with Judy Davis and Karen Black.

I don't suppose it's either of the other two . . . . . ?

Are we talking about an ealier time period than Winters?

"Are we talking about an earlier time period than Winters?"

Earlier time period than winters? Well, er, yeah... but since today is Groundhog Day, and since Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an early spring, we'd better get a move on!

Wait. Oh, you meant SHELLEY Winters?

Um, yeah. I was making films before Shelley was born. (And that's a significant clue, since Ms. Winters lived to be 85, God bless 'er.)

Who am I?

Dan N.

Hmmm... Three days since the last reply. Not good. Okay, here's another clue:

My cousin was one of the great stars of the silent screen, and appeared in even more films than I did.

To refresh your memory:

Do you know me?

I'm from the midwest USA, and spent my early acting days on stage. Then I went into movies, and wound up making more than 130 films.

In one of my earlier pictures, I got spanked on screen (playfully, of course) by one of the great western stars. In another, I played the spurned woman to one of the great matinee idols of the day.

And, now you know that I had a cousin who was a famous silent screen star.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Sorry , not Clara Bow... I meant Louise brooks.

No, not Clara or Louise. If you read the original post, you'll see that I made more than 130 films, and that my cousin, who was a famous silent screen star, made even more films than I did.

But Clara Bow appeared in only 57 films; Louise, in only 27.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Here are some additional clues to my identity:

As I said, I made over 130 films in my career. Approximately half of them were in the silent era, the second half were talkies.

I was in the second all-Technicolor sound feature film.

As you already know, in one of my early films I appeared with one of the great western stars. As you also already know, in another film I played the "spurned woman" to one of the great matinee idols of the day.

My cousin was one of the great stars of the silent era.

Who am I?

Dan N.