Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Mr. Gorman.   Now, do you know me?  I was a triple threat entertainer,  I could act, sing, and play several musical instruments.  However, I lacked leading man looks.  I was working on a national radio show called "The Old Barn Dance" in Chicago in the early 1930's.   It featured country and western music.  I worked with a young fellow from Texas who played guitar and sang .  He became the top star on the show and was called to Hollywood to audition for the movies.  I went along as part of his back-up band and ended up in movies with him.  In time I became his regular sidekick in many films.  When he west into the service for World War II, I became a sidekick to several other western stars,  After the war, he came back and finished out his contract with the studio, but I had since left and was now with another studio playing sidekick to Charles Starrett in the "Durango Kid" series.  Finally, in the early 1950's, I was reunited with my old pal.  We were paired in a series of about a half dozen movies.  We ended our movie careers as we had begun, together.  Years later, I became a regular cast member on a popular TV sitcom with a rural theme.  Now, do you know me?

(Addendum,The answer is on the previous page .)

And of course I know he was with Gene Autry-- I just never watched them.

I was a Dale Evans Buttercup Girl. LOL

Sorry Princess.  It's not Pat Buttram, although you are in the right neighborhood.  Pat Buttram worked with Gene Autry in Gene's TV series, and a few movies, but that was all after World War II.   This guy worked with Gene before the war and then they were reunited in the early 1950's. 

By the way, Dale's horse was Buttermilk, not Buttercup. 

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Sorry Princess.  It's not Pat Buttram, although you are in the right neighborhood.  Pat Buttram worked with Gene Autry in Gene's TV series, and a few movies, but that was all after World War II.   This guy worked with Gene before the war and then they were reunited in the early 1950's. 

By the way, Dale's horse was Buttermilk, not Buttercup. 

Smiley Burnette? He played Charley Pratt on Green Acres and Petticoat Junction ???

Yes, It's Smiley Burnette.  Princess was so close.   He played Gene Autry's sidekick, Frog Millhouse, in many movies before Gene entered the army.  Republic Studios kept Smiley playing that character with other cowboys in Gene's absence.  When Gene returned after the war to finish out his contract, Smiley had moved on to Columbia pictures.   In the late forties, Gene established his own production company and made movies and  a TV series that featured Pat Buttram as his sidekick.  In 1953, Smiley Burnette became available and he and Gene made about half a dozen western movies before they both retired.  In the sixties, Smiley was lured back into the business, playing an engineer on the Hooterville Cannonball on "Petticoat Junction".   He died of leukemia in 1967. 

Smileyburnette.jpg 

Smiley Burnette 

Good job, Lavender.  It's your turn now. 

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

OK, Princess, it's your turn 

Oh, no it's not. I didn't get the answer right.

But thanks,Lav, for the suggestion.

So I'll swing it back to you, Miles.

OK, This one shouldn't be too difficult.  I was a singer and actress who had previously appeared on Broadway.  In my first feature film, I sang a song that became a hit at the time.  The song was called "Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry".  Do you know me and do you know the movie I sang it in?

Do you know me?  I spent the 1930’s playing wise-cracking dames in a string of movies that starred the likes of Constance Bennett, Barbara Stanwyck, Clark Gable, James Stewart and Jean Arthur.  However, the role I am probably best remembered for is one that I originated on Broadway.  The show was a musical and I got to re-create the part when the film version was made.  The film was nominated for 6 Oscars, including Best Picture, but only won in one category.  It is one of the films TCM is showing this month during the 31 Days of Oscar.

Who am I?

Are you Pert Kelton, probably best known as Mrs. Paroo in "The Music Man"? 

c18982b820165b920db5689d7d8163e4--the-honeymooners-jackie-gleason.jpg 

In her younger days:

b2061aa6e1f84aa3b46e921fc4114180.jpg  

Do you know me?  I started as a movie actor in the mid-1930's in supporting roles and by the end of the decade, thanks to a series of movies for Universal Studios, I became well known.  I was a star throughout the 1940's into the 50's, making both comedies and dramas..  I became a TV star in the 1950's into the sixties with a couple of sitcoms..  One thing that you may not know is that Orville Wright was my godfather and he taught me how to fly a plane while I was still in high school.  When the government started issuing flight instructor licenses, I became the first licensed  flight instructor in the U.S.   Then during World War II, I served in the Army Air Force as a flight instructor.  After the war, I served as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force Reserve.  Now, do you know me?

16 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I started as a movie actor in the mid-1930's in supporting roles and by the end of the decade, thanks to a series of movies for Universal Studios, I became well known.  I was a star throughout the 1940's into the 50's, making both comedies and dramas..  I became a TV star in the 1950's into the sixties with a couple of sitcoms..  One thing that you may not know is that Orville Wright was my godfather and he taught me how to fly a plane while I was still in high school.  When the government started issuing flight instructor licenses, I became the first licensed  flight instructor in the U.S.   Then during World War II, I served in the Army Air Force as a flight instructor.  After the war, I served as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force Reserve.  Now, do you know me?

I think so, are you  Robert Cummings ? When I was kid I had a crush on him because of the tv show Love That Bob. He had a very interesting life, however later on it was tragic. Addicted to drugs that that horrible Dr. Feelgood gave him. Bob was a health food nut and thought this quack was giving him vitamin shots, but it was speed. He became addicted. Ruined his marriage, his career and he had Parkinson's later on and was broke. Sad ending for a popular movie star and accomplished man.

You are correct, Lavender.  Bob Cummings had quite the career.  He became well known after appearing in several movies with Deanna Durbin at Universal.  That led to parts in movies like "The Devil And Miss Jones", "Moon Over Miami", and "Kings Row".  He was in two hits for Alfred Hitchcock, "Saboteur" and "Dial M for Murder".  He was even in a musical with Doris Day called "Lucky Me".  The TV series helped revitalize his career.  However, you are right about the drugs causing a tragic turn in his life. 

Nice work, Lavender.  You're up next.  

Thanks Miles :) while switching stations the other day saw Bob Cummings on an episode of Love Boat

next

This child actor was very busy in films and tv during the 1950's-60's time period. He was adorable looking as a child. He appeared in noirs, comedies, dramas and sci-fi films. Unfortunately as it often goes in Hollywood as he grew older, that good looking kid was not as good looking as he once was and roles were sparse. He had close to 70 credits in tv and film work  Do you know him ?

Although he had said he wasn't crazy about horror and sci-fi, he was in some well known popular ones, one starred Vincent Price.

The names that first come to mind are Charles Herbert, Flip Mark, Richard Eyer, and Jimmy Hunt.  After checking their filmographies, I find that Charles Herbert is the only one of the four with close to seventy credits, so he is my guess.

Image result for charles herbert actor images 

Miles, it is Charles Herbert. He was adorable. The famous Vincent Price horror movie that none of the others you mentioned  appeared in with Price was THE FLY.  He was also in 13 GHOSTS and he did say that it was his least favorite genre as I mentioned in the clues. Some of his other famous films were  Please Don;t Eat The Daisies, starring Doris Day and David Niven,  Houseboat with Cary and  Sophia and Ransom with Glenn Ford and Donna Reed.  One of his tv shows that he appeared on was The Donna Reed Show, he had a recurring character on the show. That would have been my next clue.  He was good friends with Paul Peterson. His life  did not turn out to be great unfortunately. He was a very busy actor starting at the age of 4, but had nothing to show for it by the time he became a young man and he passed in his 60's with little money. It's another sad Hollywood story and it so sad because he was a good actor. OK, back to you Miles.

Your photo of Charles Herbert is not showing up and I tried to post a photo of him and that's not showing up either.

Maybe this photo will show up.  It's from "Houseboat".  Charles Herbert is on the left.  The other children are Mimi Gibson and Paul Peterson.  You already know who the adults are. 

Houseboat001.jpg 

Do you know me?  I was a child actress in the forties and early fifties.  It seems that I must have been typecast because I starred in several movies with dogs.    Some of their names include Wolf, Lucky, Banjo, Pal, and Rusty.  I appeared in other movies as well, including one with Cary Grant and one with Boris Karloff.  Now, do you know me?  

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Do you know me?  I was a child actress in the forties and early fifties.  It seems that I must have been typecast because I starred in several movies with dogs.    Some of their names include Wolf, Lucky, Banjo, Pal, and Rusty.  I appeared in other movies as well, including one with Cary Grant and one with Boris Karloff.  Now, do you know me?  

Sharyn Moffett comes to mind., where are those Rusty movies, they are perfect for a Saturday morning, wish TCM would show them again. She was 1 of Cary Grant's daughters in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and the little crippled girl in The Body Snatcher with Vincent Price. She also played the Laraine Day role as a little girl in The Locket

Yes, it's little Sharyn Moffett.  She was a fine young actress, but she did not have an adult acting career.

Here she is:

sharyn_moffet12.jpg 

Good job!  You're up next, Lavender.

Thanks Miles, we've been playing ping pong for the last few questions, I'll give someone else a chance to post. Thread Open