Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

> > Gerrude Short made 82 movies.

> >

> > Bartlett

>

>

> Not sure where you are looking. IMDB lists 132.

And the 2nd color talkie was "Gold Diggers of Broadway", in which Short played Topsy. I assume the screen idol was John Gilbert in "The Show" Don't know about the spanking.

Mysterious Mose, you've got it!!

Gertrude Short made 132 movies, according to her IMDb bio, about half of them silent, the other half sound. She was in "Gold Diggers of Broadway" (1929), the second all-Technicolor sound film. (The first was "On With the Show.")

In her silent-era days, she was playfully spanked on screen by William S. Hart, one of the most famous western heroes, in his 1918 vehicle "Riddle Gawne." In "The Show" (1927), she played a woman spurned by John Gilbert, who went instead for Renee Adoree. And of course, she was the real-life cousin of major silent star Blanche Sweet.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Mose, you're up next!

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Okay. I'll give it another shot.

I was a beautiful blonde actress that got my start in silents at a fairly early age. My first film was a classic American story. However during most of my teens and 20's, I appeared mainly on the stage. I excelled at comedy and, although I only appeared in around 40 films, I had some memorable roles as somewhat of a temptress. One of these was a bright musical comedy in which the leading man, a major heart-throb of the time, sang a song whose title carried the name of my character.

Who am I?

Message was edited by:

Mysterious_Mose

You are:

Genevieve Tobin.

Your first film, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (1910), was "a classic American story." You were only about 10 years old at the time. You only made two more silent films before going into the talkies in 1930.

Your character, "Mitzi" was celebrated in song by Maurice Chevalier, who sang "Oh That Mitzi" in "One Hour With You" (1932).

Dan N.

"Yes. I forgot you were a Lubitsch fan. I just put "One Hour with You" to DVD. Was it the Chevalier clue that gave it away?"

No, not the Chevalier clue. There was NO "Chevalier clue." You said simply that the leading man, a major heart-throb of the time, sang a song whose title carried the name of my character.

You have no idea how many hours I spent at the computer, trying to match up John Boles with your "beautiful blonde actress." When I finally couldn't, that's when I moved on and found Genevieve Tobin.

Mose, why don't you take the next one? I'm fresh out of ideas.

Dan N.

Okay. I'll try again.

Most of my acting career was spent on the stage. However, I did make over 30 films. The first of these was in an early, part color, talkie. I specialized in comedy roles and am probably best known for my role as the mother of another actress in a well known musical. I am also remembered for a television role, in which I was involuntarily replaced by another actress.

Who am I?

"Most of my acting career was spent on the stage. However, I did make over 30 films. The first of these was in an early, part color, talkie. I specialized in comedy roles and am probably best known for my role as the mother of another actress in a well known musical. I am also remembered for a television role, in which I was involuntarily replaced by another actress.

Who am I?"

You are: Pert Kelton.

You were in "Sally" (1929), a part-color musical. You played the mother of Shirley Jones in "The Music Man" (1962). You were the original Alice in "The Honeymooners" with Jackie Gleason.

Dan N.

> "Most of my acting career was spent on the stage.

> However, I did make over 30 films. The first of these

> was in an early, part color, talkie. I specialized in

> comedy roles and am probably best known for my role

> as the mother of another actress in a well known

> musical. I am also remembered for a television role,

> in which I was involuntarily replaced by another

> actress.

>

> Who am I?"

>

>

> You are: Pert Kelton.

>

> You were in "Sally" (1929), a part-color musical.

> You played the mother of Shirley Jones in "The Music

> Man" (1962). You were the original Alice in "The

> Honeymooners" with Jackie Gleason.

>

> Dan N.

You're too good for me, man. Let someone else try. :-)

Dan, I am assuming this may not be an actor/tress from the "classic" period, since they didn't start giving SAG awards until 1994. In which, we could use some more information, since there aren't many actors these days who haven't played killers, lawyers or Santas.

> Good one, Barlett. Has Hackman been a SAG and Tony

> nominee?

Don't know....However he did win an award for his role in "Unforgiven", his name popped up when I read the clues to his roles in movies. He is the only one who I could think of !

Gene Hackman?

1.- Was in Santa Claus costume when he chased crook and caught him in a vacant lot as "Popeye Doyle"in "The French Connection"

2.- Was prisoner "Red" - in movie "Riot"

3.- Was lawyer in picture "Class Action"

Well, I don't find where Hackman was ever nominated for a Tony.

But if you read all the clues, you will see that "I am not an award winner yet...." And Hackman has won two Oscars and several other awards -- AFI, BAFTA, Berlin, Chicago Film Critics, et cetera and on and on.

I told you that "I am not an award winner yet," so clearly I am not Gene Hackman.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Judith wrote:

Dan, I am assuming this may not be an actor/tress from the "classic" period, since they didn't start giving SAG awards until 1994. In which, we could use some more information, since there aren't many actors these days who haven't played killers, lawyers or Santas.

Don't be misled by wrong assumptions. I've said I was a SAG awards nominee, and you're right: They didn't start until 1994. But I was a working actor long before that.

Actually, J., there are a LOT of actors who have NOT played the big three -- Santa Claus, convicted killer, defense attorney. However, since you have asked for some more information, I offer you this:

Early in life I developed a physical handicap which might have deterred other actors. But I kept on working. Eventually, I was given a role in which that handicap came in handy.

Who am I?

Dan N.

No responses to this thread in the last 24 hours, not even with the additional clues I've given.

How about this: Why not go to the IMDb site, access the "characters" topic, and run the name of every actor who played Santa Claus in films.

Remember, I had a physical handicap that might have stopped many an acting career; but I worked through it. Eventually, I was assigned a role where that handicap came in handy.

Santa Claus, convicted killer, defense attorney... odd mix, right? But I've played 'em all.

Who am I?

Dan N.

norby, I know that Peter Falk had only one eye... but was there ever a movie that actually USED that, in the plot? None I know of.

In "Happy New Year," which I just searched for on the IMDb, Falk had a role as a small-time thief... but I don't see where he played a convicted killer, as I did.

Nope, I'm not Peter Falk.

Though I was nominated for a Tony and a SAG award, I have never actually won. But I did get to direct an Oscar winner in a classic American story.

Who am I?

Dan N.