Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

John Carradine?

John Carradine was tall (6 ft. 2 in.), and he specialized in playing "heavies." But he passed away in 1988 during a visit to Milan, Italy.

I thought we had already established that I am still alive and still working in films. If not, let me correct that: At this writing (Feb. 20, 2007) I am still among the living.

Also: John Carradine was born in New York City, while I was born in the state of New Jersey. I know they are close to each other, and easy to get mixed up.

Who am I?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Are you Christian Slater?

No, Christian Slater is only 5 ft. 8 in.... AND, he was born in New York, not New Jersey, as I was.

My specialty is playing villains. In one of my films, I improvised a certain "bit of business" that wasn't in the script. It caught the other actor, and the director, by surprise. But the director liked it so much, he kept it in the film.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Than am I Westfield New Jersey's favorite son, "Andrew McCarthy?"

No. Andrew grew up in New Jersey, but he is much shorter than I am. The IMDb says he stands 5 ft. 8 in. tall.

Do you mind if we take a moment to review the clues?

1. I was born in New Jersey.

2. Only rarely have I had a starring role, but I work steadily because film makers seem to like my screen presence.

3. I usually portray villains.

4. I have personal demons.

5. I am over six feet tall.

6. Before I went into films, I did extensive off-Broadway stage work, including plays by Eugene O'Neill and John Steinbeck.

7. In one of my films, I improvised a move that wasn't in the script... but the director liked it, and it stayed in the movie.

Who am I?

Dan N.

are you Frank Langella?

Good guess. I could be Frank, since he is tall, was born in NJ, and works regularly. But one of the clues to my identity is that "I have personal demons."

What personal demons does Frank have? He lived with Whoopi Goldberg, true, but I don't think that counts.

Who am I?

Dan N.

joe pantoliona-although he may not be tall enough

allen garfield- little iffy on his "personal demons"

You guys are really coming up with some good guesses. Maybe my description of myself should be more comprehensive. More on that later, but first...

1. Joe Pantoliano is 5 ft. 9 1/2 in. tall, so he isn't me.

2. Allen Garfield is described in numerous biographies as "rotund," "stocky," and even "plump." I doubt that anyone of my height would be so described. Garfield's bios all have ONE THING in common, though: They REFUSE to give us his HEIGHT! The omission is so pervasive, it seems deliberate.

So, that's two "no"s.

But about a more comprehensive description of me: Let's say that nobody would ever describe me as "plump" or "rotund." I'm lean.

Who am I?

Dan N.

But about a more comprehensive description of me: Let's say that nobody would ever describe me as "plump" or "rotund." I'm lean.

Who am I?

But Frank Langella is NOT "lean."

Another clue: In my film career, I have gotten "up close and personal" with some really BIG stars. When I say "big," I mean that in both the sense of their cinematic popularity, and also in the sense of their physical SIZE.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Jack Nicholson? (I don't know about that rarely had a starring role, though.)

Nicholson, one of my favorite actors, doesn't qualify. He is WAY too popular, has been a star throughout most of his film career, and isn't very tall. The IMDb assigns him a height of 5 ft. 9 3/4 in. Besides, he was born in New York, not New Jersey as I was.

To summarize:

1. I was born in New Jersey.

2. Only rarely have I had a starring role, but I work steadily because film makers seem to like my screen presence.

3. I usually portray villains.

4. I have personal demons.

5. I am over six feet tall.

6. Before I went into films, I did extensive off-Broadway stage work, including plays by Eugene O'Neill and John Steinbeck.

7. In one of my films, I improvised a move that wasn't in the script... but the director liked it, and it stayed in the movie.

8. My physical shape can be described as "lean."

9. In some of my film roles, I have gotten "up close and personal" with some very BIG stars... big in not only their popularity, but also big in physical size.

Who am I?

Dan N.

afternoon dan,

you are Peter Greene

born in Montclair, Nj.

you stand 6 feet 3 inches

you were trained at the lee strasberg theater institute, where you were in several plays before going into film

the improvised scene is from "usual suspects" where you flicked a lit cigarette into stephen baldwins face.

the actor you got "up close and personal" with was Ving Rhames, in pulp fiction, a memorable scene where you play a character named "ZED"

and you do have publicized demons (although i can't seem to find anything)

thanks

karith

You certainly have good research skills, karith.

I wonder - can someone please ask a question that deals with a *classic* movie, actor, director, writer, producer, clapper loader, key grip, etc.?