• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I'll give it a try...

Who am I?

Born in Yorkshire, England in 1899

Became an American citizen in 1950

Married to a British actress in 1929, until his death (In Hollywood, 1962)

Lots of outstanding roles, know for two (his most well known and popular)

Who am I?

Wow! Fast reply! You're right, of course.

Charles Laughton was a wonderful actor. It's too bad his one directing effort (Night Of The Hunter) was not more successful.

As for Elsa--what more can you say than an absolute delight! Who could ever forget her take on the "Bride Of Frankenstein"?

• 1 month later...

Carolina may be on vacation. May I try one?

We are two performers -- one actor, one actress -- who were each nominated for the Best Supporting Oscar, ONLY ONE TIME. At that time, we were BOTH IN OUR SIXTIES.

One of us won the Oscar, one didn't. Name us and the films for which we were nominated.

Cheers,

Dan

We are: RUTH GORDON, winner for Best Supporting Actress, 1968, ROSEMARY'S BABY

and FRED ASTAIRE nominee for Best Supporting Actor, 1973, TOWERING INFERNO

No. Sorry, you're not Gordon and Astaire.

The question said the two nominees were both IN THEIR SIXTIES at the time of their nominations. But Ruth Gordon was 72 when she made "Rosemary's Baby" and Fred Astaire was 76 when he made "The Towering Inferno."

Also, the question specifically said that both 60ish nominees were nominated for the award ONLY ONE TIME. But Ruth Gordon was nominated twice for the Best Supporting Oscar. She also had three nominations for Best Screenplay.

Here is the question again:

We are two performers -- one actor, one actress -- who were each nominated for the Best Supporting Oscar, ONLY ONE TIME. At that time, we were BOTH IN OUR SIXTIES.

One of us won the Oscar, one didn't. Name us and the films for which we were nominated.

Cheers,

Dan

norbell wrote:

Joan Plowright was nominated for Enchanted April, but lost, when she was about 63

Donald Crisp won for How Green Was My Valley at about the age of 61.

According to the Academy Awards website (http://www.filmsite.org/oscars.html), the 1941 Oscar awards were handed out on February 26, 1942. It's true that Donald Crisp won the Best Supporting Oscar for "How Green Was my Valley" (1941)... but he was born on July 27, 1882. That means he was only 59 when he accepted the award, and obviously only 59 when he was nominated.

The rest of your answer is true. Both Donald Crisp and Joan Plowright were honored with a nomination only once. Only one of them won.

But alas, you missed Crisp's birthdate by one year. He was not in his sixties when he was nominated.

For those who came in late, here is the original question:

*We are two performers -- one actor, one actress -- who were each nominated for the Best Supporting Oscar, ONLY ONE TIME. At that time, we were BOTH IN OUR SIXTIES.*

*One of us won the Oscar, one didn't. Name us and the films for which we were nominated.*

BTW: Some of you have done some real hardcore researching, and I applaud you for it. You have submitted credible answers to this puzzle. Credible, that is, except that they are not quite correct. I applaud your tenacity. Keep searching.

Cheers,

Dan

my source for Crisps' birthdate was Halliwell which had 1880.

The IMDb says Donald Crisp was born on July 27, 1882. Wikipedia says the same thing.

You can be sure that if I had thought that date was incorrect, I would have worded my question differently.

Cheers,

Dan

All right, the heck with that.

Since you think Crisp was born in 1880, rather than 1882 as stated in the IMDb and Wikipedia, we may have a stalemate.

The original question was:

We are two performers, an actor and an actress, who were both nominated for the Oscar ONE TIME ONLY, and when both of us were in our sixties. One of us won the award, the other did not. Who are we?

The two I had in mind when I wrote that were:

Jane Darwell, who WON the Oscar (at age 61) for "The Grapes of Wrath" (1941).

and

Sydney Greenstreet, who was nominated for the Oscar (at age 62) for "The Maltese Falcon" (1941).

Cheers,

Dan

• 2 months later...

Okay, here's one.

I was in over 200 movies and TV shows.

I played characters of various ethnicities, but only once did I play one corresponding to my real ancestry.

I'm probably best known for playing "bad guys" but I have actually been on the side of the angels quite a few times as well, and I've done some comedic parts as well.

I once played the killer in a film from a well-known detective series, then went on to play that detective myself in a TV series.

Who am I?

I'm guessing: J. Carrol Naish.

As you say, Naish was in over 200 film and TV shows. He played many different ethnicities.

He was cast as the villain in "Charlie Chan at the Circus" (1936), and several years later played Charlie Chan in a TV series, "The New Adventues of Charlie Chan", 1957-58.

Cheers,

Dan

I was in over 200 movies and TV shows.

I played characters of various ethnicities, but only once did I play one corresponding to my real ancestry.

I'm probably best known for playing "bad guys" but I have actually been on the side of the angels quite a few times as well, and I've done some comedic parts as well.

I once played the killer in a film from a well-known detective series, then went on to play that detective myself in a TV series.

Who am I?

> {quote:title=daneldorado wrote:}{quote}

> I'm guessing: J. Carrol Naish.

You are correct, Dan. Interestingly, although Naish was Irish, the only time I know of when he played someone of Irish descent was when he played General Philip Sheridan in John Ford's RIO GRANDE.

The board is yours.

Thanks, nightwalker. Try this one:

I was in more than 200 films, but never played the lead. I've been in thrillers, comedies, musicals, even a couple of films noir. Probably I am best remembered for a movie in which I played a double role.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No replies yet? Okay, maybe those clues are a little tough.

I was born in Denver and died in L.A. But in between, I was in more than 200 films, mostly in small roles. Sometimes I didn't speak a line. Sometimes I wasn't even credited. But I played the stage manager in one of the biggest, splashiest, most colorful smash hit musicals of the 1940s.

As I said before, I've been in more than 200 films, never played the lead, and am probably best remembered for a film in which I played a double role.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

It's now Labor Day in the U.S.A., so I will "Labor-iously" post my question one more time, with all the clues:

I was in more than 200 films, but never played the lead. I was in thrillers, comedies, musicals, even a couple of films noir. Probably I am best remembered for a movie in which I played a double role.

I was born in Denver and died in L.A. But in between, I was in more than 200 films, mostly in small roles. Sometimes I didn't speak a line. Sometimes I wasn't even credited. But I played the stage manager in one of the biggest, splashiest, most colorful smash hit musicals of the 1940s.

I was in one of the pictures that dealt with the story of how we got the expression "Your name is mud."

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan