Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Arthur Loft ? (if not...more help?)

You got it, sixes! Arthur Loft is our guy!

I really appreciate the way you go after these trivia questions. You (apparently) dig and dig and keep right on digging, until you match up all the pieces of the puzzle.

If anybody else is reading this, I know, I know... Arthur Loft is unknown to the vast majority of classic movie fans. But the man was in over 200 films, so the casting directors knew he was a competent actor, useful in many different types of roles.

Sixes, you may want to make the next one a little tougher. Your board now.

Cheers,

Dan

Okay, then. I am a well-known actor, now in my fourth decade as a screen actor. I've appeared in more than 100 movies and TV shows.

I am also the recipient of an Academy Award -- the Oscar. It's a great honor, but it came to me for a talent totally unrelated to my first love, acting. Not for direction, nor screenwriting, nor producing, but for something entirely different.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I happened to have watched the Oscarcast in which Keith sang that song, and then later was back on stage to receive his award. Have always liked his work, including his recent cable series appearences (Deadwood, Dexter).

I'm new to this type of foremat, but I've worked up a few notes, and I'll try this:

Who am I?

I was born in Mexico early in the 20th Century. As a teenager I took part in a 1923 rebellion that did not succeed, for which I was sentenced to 20 years in prison. But I escaped and went to California and lived in exile. I drifted into the film business by hiring out as an extra in the movies they were beginning to make there.

Returning to Mexico on an amnesty in 1933, I took my film experience to the developing Mexican Cinema industry and developed as a scriptwriter, director and actor. It is said by some that I

"created" the outside world's view of Mexico and its citzens. In all I directed 42 films and won a number of international prizes. I am credited with being, for a time in mid-century, the most improtant person in Mexican Cinema.

Oddities and other facts.1) In my youth, I reluctantly consented to pose nude for the making of the

"Crusader Knight" statuette that became known as "Oscar." 2) I may be still the envy of many film directors, based on the fact of having shot a film critic. 3) I shot and killed a farm laborer, and

served six months of a 4&1/2- year sentence. 4) I also maintained an American presence, being active in as an adviser, second-unit director, and supporting player in many American films made in Mexico. Some prestigious American directors found my work dependable.

Who am I?

I'm a well-known actor, having appeared in nearly 100 films and TV shows.

I'm also a veteran of the Korean War, and in my later screen life, I twice played characters who were also veterans of the Korean War. They both shared my real first name.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

I'm not really good at posing the questions needed on this thread, but I'll make one more try.

Do you know me?

I'm one of those who entered the business through having made a name for myself in competetive

sports. I look OK, I can remember my lines, and, surrounded with a competent cast, I can throw in my own abilities and carry a story. And my name is still useful to those advertising physical-

fitness products.

It was written by a Time Magazine reviwer that (1) I am more in control of my career than most athletes-turned-actor, and that (2) I may well be "the most bankable truly bad actor since Audie Murphy". Who am I?

It was written by a Time Magazine reviwer that (1) I am more in control of my career than most athletes-turned-actor, and that (2) I may well be "the most bankable truly bad actor since Audie Murphy". Who am I?

Are you Chuck Norris?

Cheers,

Dan

Okay then. I am an actress with a lengthy resume in movies and on the Broadway stage. My name is almost always misspelled when written, but I've gotten used to that.

Perhaps my most outstanding distinction is that I never died.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.: If you will read EVERY WORD carefully, you will not be misled into making wrong guesses.

D.

Tallulah Bankhead ?

Isn't there a line in "All About Eve", about how "..the Stars never die" ?

Sorry, no. I made more than twice as many movies as Tallulah Bankhead did.

My information tells me that Ms. Bankhead passed away in 1968, at the age of 66. I am still living.

Don't forget the clue that my name is almost always misspelled when written.

Aside from acting, my great passion is painting. I have had a number of successful showings.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

I'll guess Gloria Stuart. She's still alive. She acted in movies and on stage. She is known for her painting. Her birth name was Stewart.

Dammit, in all the years I've been playing this Trivia game, this is the first time this has happened to me. Molo14 came up with the name Gloria Stuart, which is NOT correct, but it is so close to being correct that I will have to accept it.

The lady I had in mind is someone else entirely. For one thing, I don't believe that Stuart's name is "almost always" misspelled. Most writers know the correct spelling of her name. True, she was originally known as Stewart, but Stuart is also a popular spelling. Just about everyone spells it correctly.

Mind you, the lady I had in mind has a name that is ALMOST ALWAYS misspelled. I tried to tell you guys that, with my little P.S. in the question.

Never mind. I will use that lady in another post, later down the line. And I will include more clues, so I don't get trapped the way I was this time.

Molo, you have the board.

By default.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan are you sure?

Gloria Stuart was just a guess and you have a point about her name. I would like to keep trying to figure out your answer. If you want to give more clues I'll keep trying. If you don't post by tomorrow afternoon then I will offer up a new person.

Alright try this one:

Do you know me?

Before I was an actor I was a boxer and a successful burlesque comic.

I appeared with Ethel Merman on Broadway.

Before my untimely death I made over a dozen pictures in the forties working exclusively at one studio.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> Alright try this one:

>

> Do you know me?

>

> Before I was an actor I was a boxer and a successful burlesque comic.

>

> I appeared with Ethel Merman on Broadway.

>

> Before my untimely death I made over a dozen pictures in the forties working exclusively at one studio.

Hey guys,

I thought this was an easy one.

I often appeared with another comedian who was the star while I was always in support. We even did a series of films based on the same character.