Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

John Qualen ?

(sniffing for more clues)

No, not John Qualen. He fits the profile of being a member of an Oscar-winning director's "stock company," -- in Qualen's case, the director was John Ford -- and he has, sure enough, been in more than 200 movies and TV shows.

But Qualen, rest his soul, is now in Heaven, while I am still alive and well in showbiz. You should have surmised this when I said: "I keep busy, with more than 200 films and TV appearances to date."

As for our children, I have more than Qualen did. Four of my children are actors, and at least one of them should be very well known to you.

As for more clues: Sure, here ya go.

The director for whom I toiled in SIX of his movies has won four Oscars.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No new replies? Okay, here's one more clue:

I am pro-guns. Not a pro-gun lobbyist, I just like firearms. In this election year, that may resonate with some folks.

Here's the rest of the question:

I'm a well-known American actor. Though I have never been a star, I keep busy, with more than 200 films and TV appearances to date. I have several children -- won't say exactly how many, at least not yet -- but I will say that four of my kids are also in show business, and ONE OF THEM, particularly, should be well known to you.

Though you may not know my name, you would recognize me instantly, as part of the "stock company" cast of a certain Oscar-winning director's films. That director has won FOUR Oscars.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here's a new one for yooz guyz....

I am an American actress, tall for a woman, and there are several (I think) interesting facets about my life and career.

One is that I appeared in a "scandalous" scene in a 1992 movie, but that scene was viewed by only about half the people that saw the film.

Another is that not once, but TWICE, I have played a male character in films.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

BTW dan, can we have an answer to your query from 9-28?

Sure, sixes. The dude is Geoffrey Lewis.

But when I have to close down a question for lack of interest, I don't feel I should be required to answer every detail about it. The actor's name is Geoffrey Lewis. Look it up if you like.

Cheers,

Dan

To: Bargar. No, I'm not Geena Davis.

To: Pastman. No, I'm not Sharon Stone either.

First, let me thank both of you for at least submitting some guesses. It's refreshing that someone -- ANYone -- is taking the trouble to respond.

But it seems that Bargar, Pastman, and Robin (who guessed Sigourney Weaver) are coming up with answers based on only ONE of the clues I gave, i.e., that I am an actress who is tall for a woman. The 6-foot Geena and the 5 ft. 11 in. Sigourney certainly qualify. Sharon Stone is a wee bit shorter than they, but still qualifies as tall for a woman.

But... what about the OTHER clues I gave?

One is that I appeared in a "scandalous" scene in a 1992 movie, but that scene was viewed by only about half the people that saw the film.

Another is that not once, but TWICE, I have played a male character in films.

If mesdames Weaver, Davis, and Stone have ever played a male character once, let alone twice, I am not aware of that. Please enlighten me.

I knew that some of you might remember that Mary Pickford played a boy in "Little Lord Fauntleroy" (1921) and that Linda Hunt played a man in "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982). But hey, those ladies were FOUR FEET TALL!

So, to avoid misleading you I said I was tall for a woman, AND that I played a male character in films twice.

Also, what about the 1992 "scandalous" scene that was viewed by only about half the folks that saw that movie? Does that apply to any of your choices?

Please, try again.

Cheers,

Dan

I know Sharon Stone is at the low end of the tall scale, but she did have a "scandalous" scene in 1992 - Basic Instinct..

still working... ok. I'm stickin' with 5'7" 'cause I gotta brain cramp...

Julie Andrews...? (it's wrong, but I'm getting closer. i know it.)

dadgumit muskee... I wasn't even thinking of Gabriel

Tilda has to be the one

I'll give you that the remarkable Tilda Swinton played a male role twice -- in "Orlando" (1992) and "Constantine" (2005). You could even add "Man to Man" (1992) to that list.

But remember that part of my question involves... here, let me quote it for you:

*I appeared in a "scandalous" scene in a 1992 movie, but that scene was viewed by only about half the people that saw the film.*

The fact that two of Tilda Swinton's films, mentioned above, were released in 1992 is coincidental. The scandalous scene I speak of was seen by only about HALF the people who saw the film. Doesn't that clue suggest anything to you?

How many films can you say contain a scene that was viewed by only half the audience?

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

How about the beautiful 5' 10 1/2" NICOLE KIDMAN.

Scandolous scene that was only seen by half the people. The **** scene in "Eyes Wide

Shut" was released in its entirety in Australia and Europe.

The censored release was seen in the USA.

The only problem with this is " played male characters twice"?!

I am giving up after this. :( I am giving up NOW. "Eyes Wide Shut" is 1999.

Message was edited by: Bargar

Message was edited by: Bargar

daneldorado, you're drawing from a deeper pool than I can swim in. I am enjoying the exercise in research though...

pastman, I love your metaphors. You are obviously an educated person.

Okay, one last clue before we close this thing out.

I've said that in 1992, I appeared in a "scandalous" scene in a 1992 movie, but that scene was viewed by only about half the people that saw the film.

Here is the clue: This movie was released in TWO versions: One was R-rated, the second was UNrated. Obviously, the "scandalous" scene was in the unrated version.

Okay?

Now then. Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.: The quotes around the word scandalous, above, are my way of telling you that I don't consider that scene scandalous, but some do.

D.

Dan,just so that you'll know that your question was NOT ignored. I have spent quite a bit of time looking up actresses that might fit the bill. All the ones mentioned so far are ones I've thought of too. I'm going a different route and trying a Taiwanese actress- Brigitte Lin? Slightly above average in height but seems to fit your other clues.

Dan,just so that you'll know that your question was NOT ignored. I have spent quite a bit of time looking up actresses that might fit the bill. All the ones mentioned so far are ones I've thought of too. I'm going a different route and trying a Taiwanese actress- Brigitte Lin? Slightly above average in height but seems to fit your other clues.

Brigitte Lin? No, sorry. Being stateside, I have no knowledge of that lady's filmic output.

But I will give you one more clue.

I began my entertainment career as a ballet dancer. In fact, I once portrayed famed ballerina Isadora Duncan.

Okay... I know you've guessed my identity NOW.

Right?

Right?

Cheers,

Dan