Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I'll guess Carl Theodor Dreyer.

Born in Copenhagen. Directed from 1919 to 1964. Worked in Europe. Produced, wrote and edited too. A number of his films had religious themes. I've seen a number of his films on TCM.

In the forward of a biography written about me by one of my co-stars,he quoted me as saying to him 'you've worked your way up from lousey to adequate'. Who am I?

This was said by Gene Kelly, of Frank Sinatra, when they were preparing to do their 1945 film "Anchors Aweigh."

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, You may not know me but you certainly know your Frank S. and Gene K. trivia!

That foreward written by Frank Sinatra was in the Clive Hirschhorn biography of Gene Kelly.Of course referring to how Gene had to teach Frank to dance for Anchors Aweigh.

Now it's your turn.

Message was edited by: lavenderblue19

Do you know me?

People think of me as Australian, but I was born in England and am proud of my English roots.

As a movie performer, I have worked in England, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and numerous other foreign locales.

I have worked in 45 films and a host of television programs, but not until halfway through that list did I land the plum role that would make me a household word.

I own several minor awards for my acting, but so far have only one Oscar nomination. And it wasn't for any of my best films.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Was the "plum role" you mentioned related to his/her television performance or film?

Yes, it was in a theatrical film. And as an additional clue, that film was released in 2001.

People think of me as Australian, but I was born in England and am proud of my English roots.

As a movie performer, I have worked in England, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and numerous other foreign locales.

I have worked in 45 films and a host of television programs, but not until halfway through that list did I land the plum role that would make me a household word.

I own several minor awards for my acting, but so far have only one Oscar nomination. And it wasn't for any of my best films.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Naomi Watts?

(Muffled sound of trumpets, sounding in the distance -- ta ta raaaaah!!)

Naomi Watts is absolutely correct!

Born in England, but is considered by many to be Australian, because she was raised there. Her father died when she was seven. Made 45 films but did not break through the radar until David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." (2001) made her a star.

Nice job of sleuthing, Film Fat... Your turn now.

Cheers,

Dan

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> *Nice job of sleuthing, Film Fat... Your turn now.*

>

> I'm so thrilled that I guessed correctly!!! B-)

>

> Promise to post a good "Do You Know Me?" within an hour or so, want to think of one that is challenging but not too difficult. ;)

Hi Film Fatale,

Are you working on something? You know I'm just sitting over here tapping my fingers waiting for the next question. ;)