Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Do you know me?

Although I died at a relatively young age, still I appeared in more than 300 films and TV shows.

With that record, you may think that I entered films as a child, but actually I began while I was in college.

I am male.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Thank you, Jen, for bothering to reply.

Another clue? Sure.

I am an American film and TV actor. My career spanned only 31 years, yet I appeared in 326 films and TV shows. That's an average of more than ten appearances per year.

I have been called the most consistently effective and versatile character actor in the history of the movies.

Only once did I sing in a movie, and that was in a very memorable duet.

Do you know me?

Cheers,

Dan

Are you _James Anderson_, perhaps best remembered as a venomous rabblerouser in To Kill A Mockingbird ?? Last two films (Ballad Of Cable Hogue, Little Big Man) issued posthumously?

Career span seems to work out right, but I can't hook up the other points.

Are you James Anderson, perhaps best remembered as a venomous rabblerouser in To Kill A Mockingbird ?? Last two films (Ballad Of Cable Hogue, Little Big Man) issued posthumously?

Career span seems to work out right, but I can't hook up the other points.

Sorry, no. The "last two films released posthumously" thread was last week. :)

James Anderson was certainly a busy actor, but he can't match my record. I was in movies and TV for 31 years and turned out 326 performances. Anderson was in the game for 29 years and had fewer than half the number of my appearances.

New clue: For most of my career, I was a supporting actor. However, three years before my death I secured the role that would mark my ascent to stardom.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Well, it's been almost a week that this question has been up on the boards. Is no one going to take a stab at guessing the answer?

Here is the question, again:

I am an American film and TV actor. My career spanned only 31 years, yet I appeared in 326 films and TV shows. That's an average of more than ten appearances per year.

I have been called the most consistently effective and versatile character actor in the history of the movies.

Do you know me?

Extra clue: For most of my career, I was a supporting actor. However, three years before my death I secured the role that would mark my ascent to stardom.

In other words, I became a star!

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

So far, I've only matched a couple of the criteria with Charles Laughton but he didn't die relatively young.. the search goes on.

I'll make it easy for you.

Here comes the clue that will tell you, I'm throwing the game.

I've said that once, I sang in a movie, in "a very memorable duet."

Well, my duet partner and I have been immortalized, for all time, in a children's TV show.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

visualfeast wrote:

PeeWee Herman?

Sorry, no. Did you read the entire question?

I wrote that:

Do you know me?

Extra clue: For most of my career, I was a supporting actor. However, three years before my death I secured the role that would mark my ascent to stardom.

I also said that once, I sang in a movie, in "a very memorable duet." Well, my duet partner and I have been immortalized, for all time, in a children's TV show.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No. Neither Jack Carson nor Bert Lahr came close to appearing in as many films and TV shows as I did.

My career spanned only 31 years, yet I appeared in 326 films and TV shows. That's an average of more than ten appearances per year.

I also said that once, I sang in a movie, in "a very memorable duet." Well, my duet partner and I have been immortalized, for all time, in a children's TV show.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, you are going to have to give us another clue- Jen & Violet answered and you repeated the clues for us again. Thanks, however we need another clue. This one is tough!

Thanks, lav, but I am flabbergasted that no one has guessed this one yet. I thought surely that the clue about the children's TV show would give it away.

Okay, here's another clue:

On TV, I became the star of a series based on a movie in which I played a supporting role.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, I'm back.

You're right, the children's TV show clue gave it away. The only question that remained was whether it was Ward Bond or Frank Faylen (Bert and Ernie from "It's a Wonderful Life"). The answer is Ward Bond. Great question. I'll post one after getting confirmation from you.

UC

Jen wrote:

Ward Bond hosted a children's TV show? Completely unknown to me and I have been around a few years. Amazing the interesting facts you learn on this message board.

You're kidding, right? A little Internet teasing?

Assuming you are on the level, I never said that Ward Bond hosted a children's TV show. The characters of Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street are named after the characters played by Ward Bond and Frank Faylen in "It's a Wonderful Life."

When I said Bond became a star in a TV show based on a movie in which he played a supporting role, I was referring to "Wagon Train," which was based on "Wagon Master" (1950).

Hope this clears it up. Kudos again to Uncle Charlie for coming up with the right answer. Unkie, we await your new question with bated breath.

Cheers,

Dan