Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just one more quickie before Christmas comes.

Do you know me?

I have portrayed Adolf Hitler on screen.

For my best-known film, I learned to play a musical instrument, and actually played it on screen.

I was born in London.

I share a birthday with a very famous Oscar winner who holds a distinctive Academy record.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Charles Chaplin ?

No, not Chaplin. But I do thank you for taking the time to make a guess.

I wonder why you chose Chaplin? He did play a version of Adolf Hitler, in "The Great Dictator" (1940). The character's name was Adenoid Hynkel.

Because Hynkel was so obviously patterned after Hitler, I would have given you a "yes" for your answer, even though I am not Chaplin, IF all the other clues had fit.

Born in London? Yes, Chaplin was born in London, as I was.

But what about the clue about learning an instrument specifically for one film? I don't believe he ever did that. He did compose the music for several of his later films, but learn an instrument and PLAY IT ON SCREEN...? No, I don't think Chaplin did that.

I also said that I share a birthday with a very famous Oscar winner, who holds a very distinctive record with the Academy folks. Nope, Chaplin doesn't qualify.

HOWEVER... You came closer than you think!

Here is a new clue for you: I have a cousin who is a major film star, and who owns a Golden Globe award.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

visualfeast wrote:

Could you be ALEC GUINNESS?

No, not Sir Alec. Boy, you guys are making me work hard!

Alec Guinness did portray Hitler in one movie. He was born in London, as I was. And whaddaya know, he shares a birthday (April 2) with an Oscar winner with a distinctive record. That would be the actress Linda Hunt, who won the Oscar for a film in which she played a MAN.

But the weak link in your deduction is that Guinness did not play a musical instrument, let alone learn to play one specifically for a part in a film. Also, I find no mention of a Guinness cousin who is a major film star and Golden Globe winner.

So.

Here is the question once again, with a new clue added:

Do you know me?

I have portrayed Adolf Hitler on screen.

For my best-known film, I learned to play a musical instrument, and actually played it on screen.

I was born in London.

I share a birthday with a very famous Oscar winner who holds a distinctive Academy record.

I have a cousin who is a major film star, and who owns a Golden Globe award.

And the new clue is:

Since I am a Londoner, you know I am English. But in my best-known film, I was in love with an American girl.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

cmvgor wrote:

Re Alec Guinness and music -- So somebody else did his cello work in The Swan ? Just asking.

Like I said, you guys are making me work TOO DARN HARD!

Okay. I have researched the IMDb, Google, and Ask.com, and I have not found a listing telling us that Guinness actually played the cello. Frankly, I didn't know he was supposed to have played the cello in "The Swan" (1956); but the fact remains, if he did play it, the actual cello music could have been on the playback, with Guinness mimicking the bow movements. Or not. But, according to the records all of us search, there is no mention of it.

Ya know, come to think of it, if Alec Guinness -- the great Sir Alec -- HAD learned to play an instrument -- ANY instrument -- for a movie he was in, I'm sure that would have been a MAJOR factoid, and would have been included in his bio. So I am sure he did not.

Anyway, does Guinness share a birthday (April 2) with a famous Oscar winner? Yes, as I have already told you, the person is Linda Hunt. Bit we are looking for a still MORE distinctive quality in this Oscar winner's bio.

And I said that since I am a Londoner, you know I am English. But in my best-known film, I was in love with an American girl. I find NO film in which the Guinness character was in love with an American.

So, the answer is still no. Sorry.

Cheers,

Dan

visualfeast wrote:

ok.....so are you MEL GIBSON?

Easy one. No, Mel Gibson was born in New York state, not in London as I was.

Okay, here is a new clue for you:

In one of my films, I portrayed a Roman Emperor.

Here is the question, again:

Do you know me?

I portrayed Adolf Hitler on screen.

I was born in London.

I have a cousin who is a major film star, and who owns a Golden Globe award.

And the new clue is:

In one film, I played a Roman Emperor.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

I have a feeling that the reason no one has submitted a correct answer to this question is that it is unclear.

So, with your permission, I will re-phrase the whole thing.

Do you know me?

London-born, I am a male movie actor.

I have portrayed Adolf Hitler and also a Roman emperor on screen.

I share a birthday with a very famous Oscar-winning actor who holds a distinctive Academy record.

One of my cousins is a major movie star who owns a Golden Globe award.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Last gasp.....are you Anthony Hopkins?

No, not Sir Anthony. He was born in Wales, not in London, England, as I was.

But your participation in this quest -- for which I am grateful -- has earned another clue. Here it is:

In addition to having played Adolf Hitler in one film, and a Roman emperor in another, I have also portrayed a legendary character who has been immortalized in grand opera.

The rest of the clues are as follows:

I share a birthday with a very famous Oscar-winning actor who holds a distinctive Academy record.

One of my cousins is a major movie star who owns a Golden Globe award.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

JackFavell wrote:

It suddenly came to me, and I think I am right....Christopher Plummer ?

Sorry, but I'm not Christopher Plummer.

I have said repeatedly that I was born in London. Plummer is Canadian.

One more thing: If I have to reveal my identity to you guys before one of you guesses it, you will be kicking yourselves. HARD.

You will all spend Christmas with bluish-purple ****. And those aren't even Christmas colors!

Cheers,

Dan