Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Just to get the answer finally, I will guess the last English guy I can think off.... Laurence Olivier

No. Sir Laurence Olivier was born in Dorking, in Surrey County, England. It's about 40 miles south and west of London, which is where I was born.

As talented and as versatile an actor as Laurence Olivier was, I find no record of his ever playing the role of Adolf Hitler, as I did.

And I've noticed that, although several of you folks have submitted guesses as to my identity, the one major question -- the all-important one -- has never been asked.

So far, you have submitted the names of Charles Chaplin, Alec Guinness, and Laurence Olivier, all of them now deceased. You have also submitted the names of Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Plummer, and Geoffrey Rush, all of them still living.

Doesn't anybody want to ask me, am I alive or dead?

Well then, here is your next clue: I am still alive... or at least I was, the last time my friend "Dan" checked the Internet.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Could it be Noah Taylor? He's London born, portayed Hitler in "Max" (2002) and played the piano in "Shine".

Just for another clue....Timothy Dalton....I know it isn't right...but, hey, might as well try....LOL!

No, not Timothy Dalton and not Noah Taylor.

Dalton was born in Wales, so that automatically disqualifies him as the answer to this quiz.

As for Noah Taylor: He is London-born, as I am; and he portrayed Adolf Hitler, as I did... but Taylor does not fit the other criteria of the quiz.

As I mentioned, one of my roles was as a Roman Emperor. Noah Taylor did not play a Roman emperor in any film I can find.

And, as I mentioned, one of my roles was as a well-known character of legend, who has been immortalized in grand opera. I don't find where Noah Taylor ever played a role like that.

It is probably fair to say that, while Noah Taylor is in fact a pianist, he did not learn that instrument specifically for the film "Shine" (1996). He was a member of a band called "The **** Tonk Angels" as early as 1994. I, on the other hand, learned a musical instrument specifically for a film, and learned it well enough to actually play it on screen.

Okay, here is one more clue before I pull the plug on this question:

Although I am English, in my best-known film I am in love with an American girl.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

No, I'm not Hugh Grant and not Steven Berkoff.

Grant never portrayed Adolf Hitler. Berkoff did play Hitler, but never a Roman emperor. At least none that I can find.

Here is the LAST clue. And it's a good one. One of you is sure to identify me from this.

You may have noticed that my original question referenced Christmas, and so did one of the followup clues. This may be because I am one of the stars of a very popular Christmas movie that might just be playing on your TV right now. If you have cable.

Folks, I just served up a MAJOR clue. Please, somebody... come up with my name!

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

At this point, I want to thank pastman, visualfeast, cmgor, JackFavell, ILoveRayMilland, MilesArcher, Jenetico, and any others who participated in this quiz. You guys are a great community of film buffs!

The answer to this "Do You Know Me?" question is: Thomas Sangster.

Thomas Sangster was born May 16, 1990, in London, England, UK.

*(He thus shares a birthday -- May 16 -- with Henry Fonda, who was the first Oscar winner to have a daughter who is also an Oscar winner.)*

Sangster played the role of Adolf Hitler.

*Yes, Adolf at the age of 10 in the TV movie "Hitler: The Rise of Evil" (2003).*

Sangster learned to play an instrument for his role in his best-known film.

*The film was "Love Actually" (2003). This is not to be compared with stars that go through the motions of fingering an instrument while a pro musician plays on the sound track. With his elaborate drum set, Sangster can actually be seen wielding his drumsticks during the big Christmas concert, and making the percussion sounds as he does so.*

He has a cousin who is a major film star and holds a Golden Globe award.

*That would be Hugh Grant.*

In his best-known film, he was in love with an American girl.

*The film is "Love Actually," and please note that I used the word "girl" rather than the more P.C. "woman;" because, guess what, the objection of the 11-year-old Sangster's affections in the film is a 10-year-old girl, Joanna Anderson, played by Olivia Olson.*

In one film, he played a Roman emperor.

*Correct. the film is "The Last Legion" (2007), with Ben Kingsley and Colin Firth. Sangster played the 12-year-old Romulus Augustus, crowned emperor in the dying days of the Roman Empire, and driven into exile by the rampaging Goth hordes.*

In the last clue I gave, I said that the subject -- Thomas Sangster -- was one of the stars of a popular Christmas movie that might be on your TV screen right now. That would be "Love Actually" (2003). But I pointedly added "If you have cable." That's because the film, which is innocuous in itself, nevertheless contains nudity and some foul language. So it probably won't play on the major networks.

So, the game is over. And I promise not to go near another trivia board until after the holidays. This is fun, but it's also kind of exhausting.

Cheers,

Dan

Just 'til Dan returns..

Do You Know Me?

I am a three-time Academy Award nominated actor.

I've played villains in Hollywood silent films.

I had one child who became a television writer and producer.

I've played a Duke, a henchman, a baron, a Senator.. and each of the following at least

twice: professor, Lieutenant, Captain and Prince.

I am related by marriage to a famous director.

In Central High School (not a title), I was in the same class with a very famous baseball

club manager.

Correct!, ILoveRayMilland. Nice job. ;)

I am a three-time Academy Award nominated actor.

1935 Best Actor - The Thin Man

1937 Best actor - My Man Godfrey

1948 Best Actor - Life with Father

I've played villains in Hollywood silent films.

Such as.. Foreman Wells - Professor Moriarty's henchman in Sherlock Holmes

I had one child who became a television writer and producer.

Also named William Powell. Who, sadly, took his own life due to cancer.

I've played a Duke, a henchman, a baron, a Senator.. and each of the following at least twice: professor, Lieutenant, Captain and Prince.

Duke of Orleans (Under the Red Robe), Baron Stephan Wolensky (The Emperor's Candlesticks), Senator Melvin G. Ashton (The Senator Was Indiscreet), Professor (It's A Big Country), Professor Andrew Gentling (Take One False Step), Lt. 'Doc' (Mister Roberts), Lt. William 'Bill' Gordon/Anson Meridan (Rendezvous), Capt. Bill Tennant (The Key), Capt. William Trench (The Four Feathers), Prince Eric (Paid to Love), Prince Alado (Time to Love)

I am related by marriage to a famous director.

Howard Hawks

In Central High School (not a title), I was in the same class with a very famous baseball club manager.

Casey Stengal

Thank you for playing

I am William Powell

Merry Christmas to: pastman, molo14, cmvgor, MilesArcher, JackFavell, lavenderblue19, metz44, rohanaka, Jenetico, rainingviolets101, ILoveRayMilland, visualfeast, Film_Fatale, and all the other "Triviots" who regularly visit these boards.

Happy Holidays to all!

Cheers,

Dan