Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Do you know me?

In a 28-year film career, I portrayed many different roles: A detective, a baron, an interior decorator, even a head of state.

Ironically, to modern film fans I am best known for a role for which I was uncredited, and which lasted for only one scene, just four (4) minutes long. In that scene, I was accompanied by two icons of the silver screen.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

pastman wrote:

I'm starting with the 28-year film career of Tommy Lee Jones.. That's as far as I've gotten, so far.

No, not Tommy Lee Jones. But every guess earns another clue.

Mr. Jones is still among the living. I, on the other hand, have passed away.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Are you... Peter Sellers?

No, Sellers was born in England. I was born in the Midwest U.S. and died in Hollywood.

Here's the rest of the question, so far:

In a 28-year film career, I portrayed many different roles: A detective, a baron, an interior decorator, even a head of state.

Ironically, to modern film fans I am best known for a role for which I was uncredited, and which lasted for only one scene, just four (4) minutes long. In that scene, I was accompanied by two icons of the silver screen.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

pastman wrote:

..still going... found a new list of midwesterners to sift through..

Thanks much, pastman, for letting me know you are still working on this question. In the meantime, here is a new clue as to my identity:

For many years I was the "go-to" guy whenever the studios wanted to cast me in a certain role. After I died however, it seems Hollywood passed on my traditional role to Michael Sheard.

Okay, here is the rest of the question:

In a 28-year film career, I portrayed many different roles: Detectives, a baron, an interior decorator, orchestra leaders, even a head of state.

Who am I, and what is the scene for which I am best known to modern audiences? Remember, in that film I was uncredited, but in my 4-minute scene I was accompanied by two major film stars.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan. I only guessed Bobby Watson because of your last "Michael Sheard" clue. (Many Hitler portrayals). I didn't fully answer your question. I still don't know the classic scene he's best remembered for or the two icons he shared the scene with. I'll leave the thread open to the person that correctly identifies this.

UC

MArcher wrote:

I'll take a crack at it. Bobby Watson played the elocution teacher in "Singin' In The Rain". The scene was with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor when they did their "Moses Supposes" number.

That's exactly correct, Miles.

Maybe I was "taking a chance" when I wrote that THAT scene was the one that Bobby Watson was best known for. After all, he had NINE (9!) performances as Adolf Hitler before that. But for today's audiences, I think his scene with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor is the one "best remembered." Especially since "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) is so popular.

By the way, Bobby Watson had another great scene -- though it is very short -- with Fred Astaire, in the following year's "The Band Wagon" (1953). He play's Fred's valet.

Cheers,

Dan

This one shouldn't be too hard if you're a loyal TCM viewer. I entered the movies as a young man in the 1930's. I was tall, handsome, and athletic. After some bit parts, I graduated to bigger roles. I played the All-American boy type for a while. I occasionally played the lead in a picture, but most of the time I was cast as the second lead. I worked with some of the biggest names in Hollywood. Once, when making a picture about pilots, I became interested in flying and went and got a pilot's license. When World War II came along, I enlisted in the navy and served as a flight instructor and then as a fighter pilot aboard an aircraft carrier. I was credited with shooting down seven Japanese planes and helping to sink five Japanese ships. I was highly decorated for these actions. When the war ended I returned to Hollywood to find that I was no longer considered an "A" list actor. I was relegated to a lot of "B" westerns and then TV shows in the 1950'S. However, I did get a part in a war movie playing, of all things, a cowardly soldier. My career, however, did not take off after the war movie, and I went back to acting in TV shows. It is somewhat ironic that one day, while visiting an aircraft carrier in San Francisco, I sufferd a massive heart attack and died. I was only forty-five years old.

Who am I, and what was the war movie where I played a coward?

Message was edited by: MilesArcher

Thanks, Mister Sixes.

How about this one? I am an American actress, born in the northeast U.S.A.

My first acting job was in a TV commercial. From there, I went into stage work and established myself as an actress who can dance and sing. I am married and have one child, a boy who was named after a famous monarch.

I have appeared in more than fifty (50) films and TV shows, including a starring role as one of American pop culture's most famous women.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Are you Cathy Bates?

Sorry, no. Did you mean Kathy Bates? She was born in Tennessee, not in New England as I was. And her bio does not show that she has children.

Here's a new clue: While many brunettes turn blonde for their film roles, in my case I am a natural blonde and had to go brunette for the starring role in my best-known film.

Here is the question again: I am an American actress, born in the northeast U.S.A.

My first acting job was in a TV commercial. From there, I went into stage work and established myself as an actress who can dance and sing. I am married and have one child, a boy who was named after a famous monarch.

I have appeared in more than fifty (50) films and TV shows, including a starring role as one of American pop culture's most famous women... and, as you now know, I changed my hair color for that role.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Well, now it's February, and there are no new replies to my question. That can't be good.

Here is the question again: I am an American actress, born in the northeast U.S.A.

I have appeared in more than fifty (50) films and TV shows, including a role as one of American pop culture's most famous women. While many brunettes turn blonde for their film roles, in my case I am a natural blonde and had to go brunette for the starring role in this, my best-known film.

New clue: Currently I am co-starring in a prime time network TV show.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

visual wrote:

Are you Glenn Close?

No, but we are both from the same state. Also, I've said that I have a son who is named after a famous monarch. Ms. Close has one child, a daughter.

But I do thank you for chancing a guess. Here is another clue to my identity:

On stage, I have played a character that was popularized on screen by Ginger Rogers.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan