Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

JackFavell wrote:

OK. I have looked up Conchata Ferrell, Michelle Pfeiffer, Holland Taylor, Sally Field, Carol Kane, Kirsten Chenoweth, Renee Zellweger, and numerous other blondes trying to figure this one out!

Maybe one more clue?

Sure, Jack. But from the looks of all the names you checked, and also the name Mary Martin (submitted by visualfeast), I wonder if we are all reading the same forum.

In an earlier message, I replied to visualfeasts's question: Are you Glenn Close? And I said that no, I am not Glenn Close, but we are both from the same state. Did no one catch that clue?

Anyway, here's a new clue.

In my film work, I have appeared with my husband's first wife on three different projects.

To refresh your memories, here is the rest of the question again:

I am an American actress, born in the northeast U.S.A.

My first acting job was in a TV commercial. From there, I went into stage work and established myself as an actress who can dance and sing. I am married and have one child, a boy who was named after a famous monarch.

I have appeared in more than fifty (50) films and TV shows, including a role as one of American pop culture's most famous women. While many brunettes turn blonde for their film roles, in my case I am a natural blonde and had to go brunette for the starring role in this, my best-known film.

On stage, I played a character that was popularized on the screen by Ginger Rogers.

Currently I am co-starring in a prime time network TV show.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Am I correct in these assumptions:

1. You're alive

2. You're currently working

3. you've done Bdwy and Films

4. you're a star rather than a lesser being

5. you're from Connecticut

6. you're between forty and sixty years of age

7. your husband is also an actor

Visualfeast wrote:

Am I correct in these assumptions:

1. You're alive

2. You're currently working

3. you've done Bdwy and Films

4. you're a star rather than a lesser being

5. you're from Connecticut

6. you're between forty and sixty years of age

7. your husband is also an actor

All more or less correct, except for no. 6. I am still in my thirties.

And as for no. 7: My husband is more a director and producer than an actor, though of course he has given himself a few small roles.

Nice research, though, Vis. Did you remember that I played a role on stage that was portrayed on film by Ginger Rogers?

And don't forget: I am currently co-starring on a network television show.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

JackFavell wrote:

Was the role I played Roxie Hart?

Yes, it was. And you are right, Jack. I am Gretchen Mol. Congratulations!

I was born in Connecticut, as was Glenn Close.

My first acting job was in a TV commercial. (It was a Coca-Cola ad.)

From there, I went into stage work and established myself as an actress who can dance and sing. And that's when I played Roxie Hart, in "Chicago." That was one of Ginger Rogers' famous screen roles.

I am married and have one child, a boy who was named after a famous monarch. (Ptolemy.)

I am a natural blonde and had to go brunette for the starring role in my best-known film. That would be "The Notorious Bettie Page" (2005).

Currently I am co-starring in a prime time network TV show. That would be "Life on Mars," which incidentally is on TONIGHT, at 10 pm ET.

Congrats again, Jack. The board is yours.

Cheers,

Dan

I'm also a lifetime CT resident who, like scsu75,was intrigued by all the clues, so I did some research. I believe I have it. Are you actress and model Gretchen Mol? Gretchen Mol was born in Deep River, CT in 1972. She played Roxie Hart in a production of "Chicago" in 2004. Of course, that is the character that Ginger Rogers played in a movie. Normally blonde, she went brunette to play "The Notorious Bettie Page" in 2006. Bettie Page was the pin-up queen of the fifties. She is married to director Kip Williams (real name Tod Williams) and they have a son named Ptolemy, after the onetime ruler of Egypt. His first wife is actress Famke Janssen, whose name, ironically, I recently used in the "Same Name, No Relation" thread on these boards. Gretchen is currently appearing in the TV series "Life On Mars". I will wait for confirmation before starting a new question.

Thanks, Jack. I actually found out through IMDB that Gretchen Mol's father is a teacher at a high school that's about 15 miles from where I live. Now see what you can do with this:

I had a very brief movie career, I was in a movie with Bing Crosby. He played a famous Broadway composer whose alma mater was honoring him by putting on a show he had written while a student there. I played the young soprano in that college production. I had a bit part in "Singin' In The Rain", but if you blink, you'll miss me. I became famous because I had a very long career as a performer on network television. In fact, I was on one show for more than twenty years. When the show was in hiatus, I made personal appearances and recordings. I did mostly old favorites, as well as songs of faith and inspiration. Who am I, what was the TV show that I was on, and what was the name of that Bing Crosby movie?

Message was edited by: MilesArcher

Correctomundo, nightwalker. That didn't take very long. Did you know it or did you have to research it? Norma Zimmer appeared in "Mr. Music" in 1950 and in "Singin' In The Rain" in the "Beautiful Girl" number as one of the dancers, although I couldn't recognize her when I saw the movie recently. She was Lawrence Welk's "Champagne Lady" for many years. The show ended when Mr. Welk retired in 1982. Norma and much of the cast continued to work at the Lawrence Welk Theater in Branson, MO, as well as making other appearances around the country. I've heard that she was once a back-up singer for Dale Evans, but I have no verification. The thread is yours.

Hi Miles.

I knew it (about Norma Zimmer) because I had read her autobiography (called "Norma"). In it, she relates that Bing Crosby was very encouraging to her about her singing and was one reason she pursued it as a career.

Okay, here's one that I hope won't be too obscure.

In the 60s, I teamed with another American actor for a couple of years on a comedy show that was quite popular in another country. You might be familiar with some of my ex-partner's work as he appeared on such favorites as Bewitched and Chico and the Man. He dated one of the daughters on Petticoat Junction late in its run.

I played a robot on a well-remembered show of the time (NOT Hymie on Get Smart, though!), but I didn't do many other guest appearances. After one part in a low-budget science fiction picture, I became a regular on a weekly show where I appeared for almost fifteen years.

I also wrote a horror novel and am now a successful clinical hypnotherapist.

Who am I and what show was I a regular on? For bonus points, who was my partner? For extra bonus points, name my sole movie appearance.

I can't believe I know this but you are Ken Delo. :)

You were a regular on the Lawrence Welk Show. Your partner was Jonathan Daly. Your sole movie appearance was in *Destination Inner Space* The only reason I figured it out was because of the association with Daly.

Thank you Nightwalker.

Please try this one.

I was the first person to be put under a long term contract at my studio.

In my last film for that studio, I did not appear on camera, at least not in the conventional way.

Do you know me?

Well darn it all Pastman! I thought that might be vague enough to keep you guys guessing for a little while. You are a sharp one! :)

Driscoll served as the live action reference model for close ups of the title character in *Peter Pan*.

He also provided the voice. His contract was terminated after completion of the film.

The board is yours sir. :)

Thank you, molo :)

Trained as a classical Shakespearean actor, I was in two episodes of the NBC television series Boris Karloff's Thriller, and two episodes of The Twilight Zone television series. I also appeared in the original Outer Limits television series. Later, I guest starred in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. television series in an episode that also featured a man with whom I would later become most identified with in my carreer. We had a television series that became very, very popular in syndication.

Do you know me?

Thanks guys, I guess I was still doing my research when scsu1975 posted his answer. I figured it was either Shatner or Leonard Nimoy. They appeared together on an episode of :the "Man from Uncle" and we all know that Shatner was in that classic "Twilight Zone" episode where he sees creatures on the wing of the plane that he's flying in.

OK, do you know me? I had a long career in films spanning the era from the silents to the TV age. As a young man I did some gold mining and I I fought with the Chinese in 1912. I joined the U.S. Marines in World War I, and I enlisted in the U.S.Navy in World War II. Despite that time spent in the military, I found time to appear in well over a hundred motion pictures, usually in small roles, often uncredited. I struck up a friendship with one of the top directors and appeared in dozens of his films. I also served with him in World War II. I also served as an unofficial technical expert in military movies. I am a large man, but I am told that I'm not exactly handsome, in fact, quite the opposite. If you've followed Miles Archer's postings since December, then you already know who I am, because Miles has already mentioned a lot of my history in another thread. By the way, I've been in a whole lot of westerns.

Ok, it's time to do your research. I'll check back later and see how you're doing.