Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I believe you are the late Persis Khambatta. You had to shave your head for the much anticipated "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" in 1979. You were in "Nighthawks" with Sylvester Stallone and Rutger Hauer. How you met Kissinger and Kennedy is anybody's guess.

Thanks, pastman. Well, here's one that I really didn't do a lot of research on so I hope my facts are correct. I had a movie career of about twenty years, usually in westerns and usually playing a sidekick to the star or a supporting role. I was more than just an actor. In vaudeville I had been a comic, a juggler, and a very talented ventriloquist. In fact, I worked my ventriloquist act into several of my films. It was while working in radio that I met Gene Autry. He helped get me into movie work. I worked a little with him, but mostly I worked with other stars. Although I worked in mostly B-westerns, my last movie was an A-list picture in the 1950's. See if you can come up with my name. If you have trouble, I'll give you a little help later.

You are correct, nightwalker. Max Terhune played Alibi in a bunch of movies and Lullaby Joslin in several more. He was part of the "Three Mesquiteers" series which featured John Wayne at one time. He featured his dummy, "Elmer" in several of the pictures. His last movie was George Steven's "Giant" in 1955, where he played a physician. Did you know the answer right away, or did you have to do some research? The thread is now yours.

I knew this one, having read with great interest the segment on Terhune in the Medved Brothers' Son of Golden Turkey Awards in the section on "The Most Ridiculous Cowboy Hero In Hollywood History."

Here's one:

At approximately 300 television and film appearances, I rank right up there with Donald Crisp and John Carradine as among the most prolific of actors, in spite of being called "terminally bland" in one reference source

I started early in the sound era and finished with an appearance on one of the most popular comedy shows of the late 80s, with guest appearances on many of your favorite shows in between. I also appeared in a recurring role as a neighbor on one of the fifties' archetypal sitcoms.

I was also in the stock company of one of Hollywood's best-known "cult" directors and appeared in one film of his that has been called the worst film ever made.

Who am I?

That is correct, unclecharlie. Lyle Talbot it is.

Talbot's first film role was in 1931, and his last was in an episode of "Newhart" in 1987. He played Ozzie and Harriet Nelson's neighbor Joe Randolph in various episodes throughout that show's run.

Talbot was a member of Ed Wood's stock company and has a featured role in PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, but that picture isn't really the worst film ever made, imo.

The thread is yours.

Thanks, nightwalker. The "worst movie ever" comment tipped it off. And I agree - Plan 9 is an awesome movie although unintentionally so. For an excellent evening of viewing, watch Johnny Depp's "Ed Wood" followed by "Plan Nine From Outer Space".

On to the next one...

I was born in Arizona. Played college football. Starred in numerous movies (a lot of westerns) from the 30's through the '60's. Was featured on a hit radio show. Moved into television in the 60's. Finally, I voiced several cartoon characters. I died in California in the 70's. Who am I?

UC

No to Valentine Dyall and Hoagy Carmichael.

Here's a new clue: I was the proud recipient of one of the highest decorations bestowed by the United States, one of only two movie actors that received that award.

The rest of the question:

I am a film actor who worked in films both before and after World War II. During the war, I served in my country's armed forces.

I was named after the day I was born.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

visualfeast wrote:

AUDEY MURPHY?

Sorry, no. Audie Murphy did not appear in movies until after World War II was over.

As I mentioned in my first question, I appeared in films both before and after the war. During the war, I served in the armed forces.

Also: I was named after the day I was born.

Here is a new clue: When I was a child, for a time I was convinced that I was related to God. Not in the general sense that we are all children of God, but more closely related than that; a flesh-and-blood relative, if you will. The reason has something to do with my name.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

I still say _David Niven_, and I'm sticking to it.

1. Sandhurst education -- British equilavent of a West Pointer.

2. Born on the Saint's Day of one Saint David.

3. Named a Legionnaire of the Order Of Merit by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

(What actor got the other one?)

Message was edited by: cmvgor