Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

> {quote:title=cmvgor wrote:}{quote}

> I still say _David Niven_, and I'm sticking to it.

>

> 1. Sandhurst education -- British equilavent of a West Pointer.

> 2. Born on the Saint's Day of one Saint David.

> 3. Named a Legionnaire of the Order Of Merit by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

> (What actor got the other one?)

>

> Message was edited by: cmvgor

Yo, Dan;

I _did_ give my reasons for naming Niven, as noted in this later posting. Sometime, years ago, I

had read at least one of his books of memoirs, and was aware of his educational path. Checking his site in imdb, I picked up on the Saint's Day birth and the resulting name. Other info there

led me to conclude that he (speaking Brit now) "had a bad war", and he "was mentioned in

disptches", and that Gen. Eisenhower had awarded him the Legion Of Merit. To my everlasting embarrasment, I failed to pick up on the fact that the other actor to receive the Legion Of Merit had to be Audie Murphy. I have known for years that Murphy had gotten _every_ military decoration that the USA could give. That connection hit me just few hours ago.

I also caught the comment about why Niven didn't discuss wartime experiences for publication, and why there would be no wartime memoirs.

If this has earned me a turn at posing a question, I need a few hours to set up the one I have in mind.

Cheers,

cmvgor

Yo, Dan;

I did give my reasons for naming Niven, as noted in this later posting. Sometime, years ago, I

had read at least one of his books of memoirs, and was aware of his educational path. Checking his site in imdb, I picked up on the Saint's Day birth and the resulting name.

Good show, cmvgor, good show.

Also: The reason David Niven thought he was related to God is because, in his youth, when reciting the Lord's Prayer in church, he thought for several years that the correct phrasing was, "Our Father, who art a Niven . . . "

Cheers,

Dan

I understand the confusion. I went to about age nine saying "give us this day our jelly bread."

Dan, consider this thread open. My interests lean more to plots, themes and social slants

than to individual careers, etc. What I was considering for an entry here simply was not right for

this thread. If you have no pearls to cast at the moment, open it up to all.

Okay, here's one:

I am a film actress who -- like so many other Hollywood stars -- was born in Canada.

For a while, I was the "Queen of Technicolor" at my studio, as I seemed to photograph better in color than in black and white.

I've appeared in more than 100 films and TV shows. Never an Oscar winner myself, I have appeared opposite at least three (3) Oscar winners on the screen.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, dan.

I was born in NYC and died in Conn. at the age of 86. I appeared in some very popular movies of the 40's and 50's. Nominated three times for Oscar, winning once. I have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for both my work in movies and television. Who am I?

I was born in NYC and died in Conn. at the age of 86. I appeared in some very popular movies of the 40's and 50's. Nominated three times for Oscar, winning once. I have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for both my work in movies and television. Who am I?

You are: Teresa Wright.

Cheers,

Dan

Here's a new one.

Do you know me? I am an American actress, born in the Midwest U.S.A. I have been called homely and I have been called lovely... and in one of my films, I am called BOTH!

Some reviewers have commented, favorably, on the way I emulated the great Robert DeNiro for one of my films. In a feminine way, of course.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

visualfeast wrote:

Uma Thurman?

Sorry, no. Uma was born in Boston, not in the Midwest U.S.A. as I was. Also, I can see by her bio that, due to her height (6 ft.) and her size-11 feet she was considered "gangly" as a teenager, though of course we think of her as beautiful now. But she was never called homely, as I was. We do have the adjective "beautiful" in common, though.

New clue: Uma and I have also shared the screen with Johnny Depp, though in different films.

Remember the original question:

Do you know me? I am an American actress, born in the Midwest U.S.A. I have been called homely and I have been called lovely... and in one of my films, I am called BOTH!

Some reviewers have commented, favorably, on the way I emulated the great Robert DeNiro for one of my films. In a feminine way, of course.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Robinshood wrote:

Juliette Lewis

No. Juliette Lewis was born in Los Angeles, not in the Midwest U.S.A., as I was.

There seems to be some confusion about the term "Midwest U.S.A." and I would like to set that straight. There's the east coast and there's the west coast; there is also the south. The Midwest is the section in between.

Sometimes our area is referred to as "the fly-over states," because a lot of movie stars fly between L.A. and NYC, and they fly over our area.

New clue: I am frequently referred to as an "envelope pusher" because I often take on roles that are not glamorous or conventional.

So, here is the question again:

Do you know me? I am an American actress, born in the Midwest U.S.A. I have been called homely and I have been called beautiful... and in one of my films, I am called BOTH!

I have appeared on screen with Johnny Depp.

Who am I?

Cheers,

Dan

Are you Lili Taylor?

Lili Taylor is the correct answer.

visual, I'd really like to know which of my clues gave you the answer... if you're of a mind to revealing it.

Cheers,

Dan

It was the lovely-ugly clue...However, I side with the lovely. I think she's a great actress.

Here's my clue no. 1.

I was discovered in a west coast high school, put under contract with a major studio and was given a small role in film of a Broadway show.After that I was given starring roles.

No, not lovely Lana

4. I was named as correspondant in a highly publicised divorce of my costar in two films.It was a false accusation perpetuated by his vindictive wife but it didn't do much to quell my insecurities.

Are you Gail Russell? You went to Van Nuys High School with Jane Russell. You signed with Paramount right out of school. You were married to Guy Madison. You made two movies with John Wayne, "Wake Of The Red Witch" and ""Angel And The Badman". You were accused of having an affair with John Wayne when he was going through a divorce. You had a very bad case of stage fright and turned to alcohol to combat it. That led to your ultimate demise. You were found dead at age 36 of an alcohol related heart attack. What was that film version of a Broadway show you were in and who wrote the screenplay for your second starring role?

you've got it.

The Brodaway show turned movie was LADY IN THE DARK, in which she played a bit part.

The film THE UNINVITED featured Cornelia Otis Skinner, who co-wrote the screenplay for OUR HEARTS WERE YOUNG AND GAY, Gail's second starring role.

You're up...

Well, I had quite a life. Before I got into the movie business I was a miltary fighter pilot. Once, while on a dangerous mission, my plane I was shot down and I was captured. I spent time in a prisoner of war camp, from which I was able to escape. One of the men who helped me escape came back to America with me and became my business partner. We started out in the movie business by making documentary films in exotic locales around the world. I worked my way through the ranks to become a Hollywood producer. I had a recurring dream about making a real adventure film in a wild, untamed setting. I didn't want to do a Tarzan film because there had already been plenty of those. The studio let me do it, but they said that location shooting was too expensive, so we did it all on the backlot. With the help of a brilliant special effects man, we made one of the greatest adventure films ever. I even patterned one of the characters after myself. My partner and I even appeared in the movie in unbilled roles. Later on, I formed an association with one of the great directors and produced several highly successful films. I was also credited with helping to produce a whole new technical process in movie making. Do you know me?

Merian C. Cooper is correct! Did you happen to see the documentary that TCM did on his life some time ago? He and his partner Ernest Schoedsack co-directed King Kong in 1933. The director he later became associated with was John Ford. Cooper was also instrumental in the development of Cinemascope, the wide screen process used for many epic movies. Did you know it or did you have to research it a little? And yes, visualfeast, the thread is yours.