Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

4. I divorced husband no.1 and married two more times...once to a younger tennis pro who fleeced me out of a lot of my fortune. I acted on Broadway after my film non-career ended.

After a while, because of my reputation and my dwindling bank account, I performed in vaudeville.

5. On a popular TV magazine show of the late fifties, I announced that I'd found religion and was on my way to healthy sobriety. Within a year, I was dead of acute alcoholism. Reports of my death suggested I died from burns sustained in a fire in my kitchen.

Yes, I am...congrats...

I was going to use as a final clue the fact that Diana was scheduled to begin a TV daytime talk show in 1950. Her drunkenness and undependability caused her to be replaced by Faye Emerson, who launched a phenominon that is still very much in existence today.

I was an angry and self hating character spawned from complete disregard by my parents.

I started as a circus performer as a child then I went into vaudeville. I started in films in the late twenties and by the early thirties I had become a major comedic star. I made several sports films and later in life I did some broadcasting for the New York Yankees. One of my sons was killed in the military, and I spent most of World War II entertaining troops all over the world. I later adopted two refugee children. Another of my sons became the general manager of a Major League team. In the late 1950's, I appeared in one of the funniest movies of all time. Do you know me, or do you need more clues?

I sure am. That didn't take very long. Joe E. Brown's son, Joe L. Brown was the general manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates. His other son, Don, was killed in a military plane crash. Joe E. Brown appeared in "Some like It Hot " in 1959. What was the clue that gave it away? By the way, the thread is yours.

Thanks for mentioning Diana Barrymore, one of my favorites of the almost-forgotten. Has anyone seen any of her six Universal movies? Despite all her well-publicized personal problems she is very good in her films, with one a particular and personal favorite: "Between Us Girls" (1942). Diana is absolutely charming and very funny in this comedy that has much in common with the more famous "The Major and the Minor" (Paramount, also 1942). And although both were filmed at the same time (March to May 1942) Diana's movie came out first.

And for those who may prefer an excellent dramatic story, "Nightmare" (co-starring Brian Donlevy, also Universal, 1942) is highly recommended.

So I urge everyone not to dwell so much on Diana Barrymore's off-screen misadventures, but check out her films. I think she deserves to be remembered more for those than for her private life.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0058208/

I agree that her brief career had some excellent performance. If she had surfaced today, her unusual looks might have guaranteed her a longstint as a character actress. But not for her vices, she could have continued the Barrymore legacy.

I was born into a show business family;

I was also spinning records in New York radio station at a very early age;

Spent many years in the military;

Recieved one Oscar for suporting role;

Do you know me?

After my sixteen year military career ended due to injuries, I got TV work acting on a very popular show of the 50's, and wouldn't you know it, I played a military advisor.

Finally my film career started to take off in very early sixties, but they always had me play a Heavy, tough character, I guess being 6'4" and thick shoulders did not help either.

As big as i was I still managed to get my face slammed by the Duke in one movie, Ouch!

Thanks, RH.

I don't do well on this thread, but I'll make another try.

All-American son of immigrant parents, I was born in the Heartland, and lived in a number of midland locations. My birth name reflects my ethnic background. I became a singer and a standup comic, and moved easily into support roles in film, usualy in comic scripts. I moved easily into television, typecast as a family man who was also a nightclub performer. Did well

in the business end also, helping to create and produce a number of other shows. Did well in

business; at one time was part owner of a NFL team. Also made my mark as a philanthropist,

doing a lot of work that benefited sick children, and financed research into childhood illnesses My daughter also did well in a showbiz career.

Who am I?

Thanks cmvgor-

Let's try this

I am an actor but I have produced and directed too. My aunt and uncle are both well known writers and so is my father.My sister who was an actress was tragically killed at a young age.I have been in 2 cult films.

Who am I?