Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thank you, visualfeast

I appeared in many films, on the stage and on TV. I got my big break when one of the stars that I was understudy for came down with the measles. I was married four times. Once to a famous actor who also directed. Twice to the same man.

Who am I?

Sorry, I'm not Shirley.

The man I married twice was my first husband's barber! My last marraige lasted 30 years.I spent some of my childhood in a back brace. My first husband the famous actor and I were passionate about our politics and we are credited with convincing a friend to switch political parties. Our friend later became president of the USA.

I figured the Reagan clue would cinch it. So interesting to me that our sunny, perky petite June battled alcholism and her mother sued her over custody of her two children.Her life story would make an interesting film.

So visual,you are right as usual, I am June Allyson. Great job and now ma dere, you are up.

Thanks...it was the back brace that did it for me.

Here's a new one...I was brought to the USA from a European country, with great fanfare. My first American film was for a very prestigious director, had a stellar cast and was promoted with great zeal. The end result was less than anyone hoped.

Thank you,visual.

I've had a career in entertainment for over 60 years. I began in radio as a singer when I was a teenager.I appeared in many films - westerns, comedies,musicals and thrillers. One of those thrillers had 2 of Hollywoods most famous actors as my leading men.This film has been remade by a very famous director and A list cast.I have had my own TV show and was a regular on another show for 5 years.I have appeared in well acclaimed mini series and have appeared on Broadway many times, in fact throughout 2000 I've been on Broadway and have appeared in episodic television. I've won emmys and have been nominated for Tonys and Golden Globe Awards.

Who am I ?

I've had sucess in business. I started my own cosmetics business that was so sucessful a major corporation bought the business. I've written 3 books on beauty.The 2 recent TV shows I appeared on have been the 2 biggest hits on Sunday night TV in the last 10 years and I had a recurring role.I am 78 years old.

No, not Angela Lansbury.

C'mon guys I'm running out of clues.In one of the hit TV series that I appeared in a few episodes in, I played the former mistress to the "capo's" father who had since passed away. In the other huge TV hit the recurring role was to the mother of one of the woman leads in the show.I scored pot for her when she had cancer to combat her nausea and slipped it into the brownie mix so she wouldn't know. In the thriller film that co-starred 2 huge stars as the 2 leading men, I played wife to one of them. The family was being tormented by a psychopath. This film has been remade by one of the most famous director's in the world and the cast is A-list.

My variety tv show and the game show I was a panelist on took place during the 50's and the 60's. I was in a film as the other wife of a husband who thought his first wife was dead.This was a remake of a film. I was also in a drama where I was the leading lady.One of the most famous stars in movie history was also in this one.

lavender;

You wouldn't believe how much this embarassed me. I caught on to the "mobster's dad's girlfriend " clue, and then could not remember the name _Bergen._. OR the names of any of her films. I wound up scanning about 18 months of "Sopranos" episodes before I found it. I knew there was other stuff, but the only other thing I was sure of was the context where I first saw her --

those Pepsi commercials. Just glad I got it.

But I've learned that I don't have the career-path info that works on this thread. lavender, as far as I'm concerned you can go again, or you can open up the thread. But it was fun, and gratifying, to

get one.

cmvgor

Thank you cmvgor for all that effort.I also wanted to thank Visualfeast for taking a crack on this one.Yes, I was referring to her appearances on The Soprano's as Johnny Soprano's mistress and Desperate Housewives as Lynette's mother. The film that she was in with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchem was *Cape Fear* as Peck's wife. S.Spielberg was the director for the remake.The film starred Robert DeNiro, Nick Nolte and Jessica Lange played the Polly Bergen part.She was James Garner's wife in *Move Over Darling* and played the lead in *The Caretakers* with Joan Crawford and Robert Stack and the lead in *Kisses For My President*. The TV show was To Tell The Truth,she was on for 5 years, besides her own variety show. Fabrege bought her cosmetics company for millions.Her mini series included War and Remberence and The Winds Of War. Too many Broadway shows to mention.Her emmy was for her portrayl of torch singer Helen Morgan.

I'll pass this round, so the thread is open to everyone.

Polly Bergen is one classy lady!

I especially like her early concentration on her singing.

I have a collection of older albums, and two of my favorites are hers. "The Soundtrack From Helen Morgan Story" and "The Party's Over".

Whenever I feel especially sad and sorry for myself, I make a pot of tea, curl up on the couch with my blankie, and play "The Party's Over". The title song, and her rendition of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" *always* brings a makes me tear up!

Her later work in movies, and then on to T.V. have always been very good.

Please watch this very short film :

Its for a contest our group entered in YouTube, and it is decided by the amount of views it gets. We are in second place and NEED YOUR HELP. If you like it, please pass it along to your friends or repost it on other threads and help me chalk one up for the silent films!!

Now that's a coincidence. I missed Mildred Pierce the other nite so I watched my tape (for the bizillionth time) on Sat. instead. I was thinking of using Zachary Scott as a question to pose the next time it was my turn. So,6's are you thinking of Zachary Scott?