Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Thanks 6's- I totally agree about Mr. Scott.

Let's try this

Some might say I've had very lucky breaks in my career.I went to NY at the age of 18 and within a year I was a star.I've been on Broadway in huge hits that lead to a film career.One hit after another. I am an Oscar winner.There is a fact about my Oscar win that has gone down in film history. It's the first and only time that this particular occurrence has happened.

Who am I?

My first husband was in show business.All of my children have been in show business and my second husband has been in show business too.

so let's recap.

I appeared on Broadway at age 18. Within a year I was off to Hollywood and became a star. I was a beauty pageant winner. I won an Oscar for a role that went against type. There is something unusual, a first in Oscar history and has never happened again in relation to my Oscar win.My children and 2 husbands have been in the biz.

Oh, so that's it!!

Shirley Jones and Elizabeth Taylor won best supporting actress and best actress in the same year for playing prostitutes. The only time that ever happened.

That was what really stumped me on this one. Glad someone figured it out.

Awaiting confirmation from lavenderblue19 of course. :)

((Also wanted to let people know I'm still playing, even though I don't always guess))

But of course, I'm Shirley Jones.

Thank goodness cmvgor, I thought I was going to have to resort to the Partridge Family card!

And Molo, you are also Absolutely Correct- Shirley won best supporting Oscar for her prositute role in Elmer Gantry and the same year Elizabeth won for her prositute role in Butterfield 8.

Great job both of you and Thank You for playing this round with me,you too visual.

cmvgor it's your turn, I know this isn't your favorite to give clues on, maybe Molo would like a turn?

lavender;

Actually it was Marian the Librarian & the two husbands and kids that brought it together for me. I'll try one more of these: not likely to last long.

I was born in the late 1940s, in the biz from adolescence. Recorded a song at age 6 that was very successful and is still heard as a seasonable favorite. Lots of work as a juvinile on TV. Took a Broadway role to the movie version, still playing juviniles in my 20s. Aged into a competent supporting player, mostly on TV. Played a lot of lawyers, a lot of Rabbis, a lot of lab geeks.

Served a period as president of SAG. Have dabbled in politics, and Talk Radio.

Who?

The hit vocal that I recorded when very young was a Christmas song. It still gets heard in the right season.

Are you Barry Gordon...had a hit record with "Nuttin' for Christmas" in 1955? Was thinking you might be Jimmy Boyd who did "I Saw Mommie Kissing Santa Clause" but he was older and didn't have that much of a career later - & he died just a couple of weeks ago.

ladyeve;

Barry Gordon _is_ the answer, and you have taken this off my hands. Help yourself. I remember

fondly Mr. Gordon's performences on the old "Archie Bunker's Place" as the young lawyer with

the firm that handled Archie's legal affirs, and who had a massive crush on Archie's niece. I

first became aware of him, I guess, as Jason Robard's nephew in *A Thousand Clowns*. Take it.

I was born an only child in the midwest. In the early years my dad did some farming but mostly teaching. My mother taught drama and elocution. As I began to get older my parents thought I might have the looks to make something of myself and when it appeared that I might have a shot at the movies, my dad quit working, packed us up and moved the whole family in hopes of pushing my career.

I had a long career in movies spanning several decades. I worked with stars as varied as John Barrymore and James Dean. I played parts ranging from ingenue to femme fatale to ideal mother. While I won an Academy Award, I was never a top star. I preferred being a featured supporting player to having to "carry a picture."

Who am I?

good guess, but not Jo Van Fleet...

I supported my family from my teens - and mine were archetypal stage parents. I wasn?t able to wrest control of my career and finances away from them till I was well into my 20?s and married ? they were living better than I was on the money I made! The battle for control turned into a lawsuit and family feud.

Well, on the the boards I prefer my stage name, *Mary Astor*, but *yes* I am...

I've been a fan since I first saw Mary Astor in *The Great Lie* on TV when I was about 10. Quite a career - from the silents to *Red Dust*, *Dodsworth*, *The Maltese Falcon*, *The Palm Beach Story*, *Meet Me in St. Louis* - right up to *Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte*. Her memoirs, _My Story_ and _A Life on Film_ are both well written. _A Life on Film_ centers more on her career and gives an inside look at the movie business from the silent era through the 50's when she did a lot of live TV dramas (which is where she worked with James Dean). _My Story_ covers the personal side, which is just as interesting.

Good work *scsu1975* - the thread is yours!

ladyeve- while we're waiting for scsu or the next poster, I just wanted to let you know I thought this last question about Mary Astor was so well written and interesting. I think you did a great job.

> {quote:title=theladyeve wrote:}{quote}

> Well, on the the boards I prefer my stage name, *Mary Astor*, but *yes* I am...

> Good work *scsu1975* - the thread is yours!

I got lucky. I decided to check James Dean's television work, and the first link I tried was a show in which Mary Astor also appeared. I knew she had appeared with Barrymore in the silent Don Juan, so I gave it a shot.

I will leave the thread open to anyone who cares to post one now. With my work schedule, I don't have a chance to check in too much.

Thanks, *lavendarblue*, great to hear. Mary Astor had such an interesting life I was hoping to reflect that. The memoirs I mentioned weren't ghost written and, for those interested, really are worth checking out. Wikipedia's page on her is a good one and covers much of what's in the books - briefly. (thanks again)

No one else seems to be jumping in - so I thought it would be OK for me to do two in a row...

I was born in a small town and was one of the youngest in a very large blue collar family. My father went on drinking and gambling binges for weeks at a time. I used to say he was a lot like me, he was devious and smiled a lot when he was in trouble. He was also eloquent, passionate and violent.

I did well in some academic subjects but my passion was sports and some thought I could?ve succeeded as an athlete. On the other hand - I started smoking at 8, drinking at 12. Things could?ve gone badly, but I was lucky, I had a mentor in one of my teachers. I began to appear and and excel in school productions. I had a good speaking and singing voice and won a prize for singing.

Who am I?

Yes, indeed..aka/Richard Walter Jenkins of the village of Pontrhydyfen, Wales...

Could you have been any faster!?! Very good work. I love Richard Burton and couldn't resist seeing how many clues it would take. Not many, only one! And I never even got near the "Liz and Dick" years...

And now it's your turn again, *cmvgor* - and it's you who drew me into this game with Barry Gordon of "Nuttin' for Xmas," *A Thousand Clowns*, etc., fame...

it's your thread again...