Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

ladyeve;

Thanks. I got lucky on that. I had read a Burton bio, and was aware that a lot of his off-screen life in later years was dominated by self-medication in dealing with sports injuries that happened in his youth. Took a guess and got lucky.

I do not really have the information that can be summoned up for appropriate questions on this thread. Consider the thread open for someone else to pose a good question.

cmvgor.

I was born into a performing family. My mother and father split up when I was a child and I lived with my mother and her family.

Still a child, I was misdiagnosed with a serious illness and the prescription was complete bed rest, no exercise, bland diet. Because of the diagnosis, my mother and I moved to California for the climate. I met the biggest celebrity in the world while there (I was paid a visit because I was a sick child). Years later, the star and I became friends when I was working in Hollywood, but we never discussed our previous meeting, though I did try to bring it up once.

Who am I?

My Dad, who had moved to New York, was an actor and his older sister, a singer, had married a very wealthy man. The play in which dad had his breakthrough role was primarily financed by her. Dad's reviews were raves and he became a star.

I started acted at around 18, but didn't limit myself to acting. My first attempt as a director was memorable - and I wrote the screenplay for the film, too. I had quite a life away from the business, as well. I gambled, drank, chased women and had homes around the world. I was married to five women - a 'schoolgirl,' a lady, an actress, a ballerina and a crocodile!

My friend Lauren Bacall has said of me that I lived life the way everyone else would like to but doesn't dare.

When I was asked what I would do if I could do it all over again I answered - "I would spend more time with my children, I would make my money before spending it, I would learn the joys of wine instead of hard liquor, I would not smoke cigarettes when I had pneumonia, I would not marry the fifth time."

This sounds like more like John Barrymore (Errol's idol)

He has done all those and died from Pneumonia plus Cirrhosis..

The thing that I'm not 100% on is that; I think he was only married 4 times and not 5 like you are looking for... Unless he had another I never heard of..

But if so, then I would say it was him, "The Great Profile" himself...

I'm not Errol Flynn or John Barrymore - though we did have some common interests.

I'm known for the work I did from the 1940's - 1980's. I acted some, directed a lot, and also wrote. I worked with my dad on a couple of films as well as with my daughter and two sons.

In fact I held a party every year I was nominated (all 6 times) and called them "Come watch me lose again" parties.

My last film was with Mary Tyler Moore in the 60s.

Are you by any chance *Thelma Ritter* ? If so, I've always loved you. Your were the icing on the cake in *Rear Window* and so many others.

*raises hand slowly*

Can I give it a try? Was it Thelma Ritter? I know she was nominated a bunch of times but never won. Watch, I'm probably wrong.