Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

The only consolation for not having won those (competitive) Oscars is that she was in good company - Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Barbara Stanwyck to name a few of the geniuses who were nominated but didn't win...

Here's mine:

I went into the theater at an early age and debuted in film while still young.

It's not Elizabeth Taylor -

I signed a unique three-film contract with a major studio that gave me script approval, promised I would only work in films directed by three top directors, and gave me freedom to work at another studio.

I was in demand. I turned down far more offers than I accepted. Some I regret having rejected.

Just as I was at my peak disaster struck. My personal life and career were both affected.

Patricia Neal fits but it's not her.

Though good parts continued to come my way and I continued to co-star with some of the greats, I was in trouble. In one Oscar-nominated role I ad-libbed much of my dialogue ? which my director suggested after he realized I couldn?t remember my lines.

No, I'm not Norma, our disasters were of a different nature.

I made less than 20 films in less than 20 years - a few of them are undisputed classics.

I was about to star again with an old friend and co-star when the end came. When I died the autopsy results stated that it was a heart attack brought on by "occlusive coronary artery disease". No evidence was found that suggested foul play or suicide. This does not mean I didn?t have problems with drugs and alcohol in my life.

I'm not Clara Bow...

...here's more about my career:

Four Oscar nominations, no wins. I was directed by Hawks, Hitchcock, Huston, Kazan, Mankiewicz, Stevens, Zinnemann and others. Some of my co-stars: Brando, Dietrich, Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn, Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Frank Sinatra, Jennifer Jones, Spencer Tracy?

Thanks, Eve. When you mentioned the directors and co-stars, it became very apparent to me that it was Montgomery Clift.

Do you know me? I was born and raised in the midwest but came to California to attend college. It was there that I got involved with the school drama department and was noticed by a Hollywood talent scout. Because of my looks, I was classified as a matinee idol. For several years, I starred opposite some of the best known actresses in movies. I was even occasionally mis-cast into musicals. I grew tired of playing "pretty boy" roles and asked my studio to cast me in more manly, tough guy roles. They sent me to England where I made a movie where I played a rugged athlete. My female co-star in that film would soon star in a very major Hollywood picture. We worked together two years later. At that time she was a major star. And speaking of major stars, I married one about that time. She was several years older than me, and had been an established actress for some years, but after we were married, her career really took off. Do you know me, or do you need more clues?

You *must* be *Robert Taylor*...born in Nebraska, went to college in Pomona, CA, involved in drama there...everything fits...made *Waterloo Bridge* with Vivien Leigh who later starred in *GWTW*...married Barbara Stanwyck, a big star who got bigger (she even made *The Lady Eve* during the marriage!)...

Yes, that's right. I almost mentioned that he married the original Lady Eve, but I didn't want it to become too obvious. He made "A Yank At Oxford" with Vivien Leigh in 1938, where he played the athlete. She asked him to teach her an American southern accent. She was planning ahead. They made Waterloo Bridge in 1940, a year after GWTW. I read a biography of him some years ago. He was under contract to MGM for 23 years, which broke Bing Crosby's record at Paramount. He was a good friend of Ronald Reagan and even took over hosting "Death Valley Days" when Reagan went into politics in the sixties.

The thread is yours. Good night!

I saw your post and many names went through my head - none was Taylor and none quite fit. I thought I would sleep on it. Was about to do that when "Robert Taylor" popped into my head. I see I had some of the chronology off - but - still Robert Taylor. My first post on this thread was Mary Astor who was the demise of Miles Archer in *The Maltese Falcon* - I believe he thought she was "Miss Wonderly" at the time.

Will be back later.

My first performing arts success came when I was a child and won a medal for reciting a pro-temperance poem. You won?t believe the title, ?No Kicka My Dog.?

I left high school (just a little early) and performed on the stock company circuit. My first movie role was in a successful early talkie. After another brief film appearance a producer strongly suggested I change my somewhat unusual name. I did and appearances in the Ziegfeld Follies followed. Then I returned to movies and was in a hit. My character attracted attention and I was pretty much typecast from then on. I worked in radio and on TV successfully, and my movie career spanned more than fifty years.

Who am I?

Yes, I am, though I was once known as Eunice Quedens.

(I'm thinking it was "No Kicka My Dog" that gave it away - ? She is one of my favorite Eves)

The thread is yours, Mr. Archer...

I did some shows for Ziegfeld when I was just a teenager. I met and married a much older business man. I divorced him after a few years, got a nice settlement. and headed to Hollywood. I did bit parts at the Hal Roach studio, appearing with Laurel and Hardy on several occasions. That got me noticed by one of the biggest stars in the movies, who was at least twenty years older than me. We started a long relationship and he became my Svengali. I appeared in a couple of his movies. Through him I was able to secure a contract at a major studio. My bio says we were married for six years, but that may just be speculation. I did a variety of roles. I tested for the role of Scarlett O'Hara. I even did some musicals, where I showed that I could sing a little. I did one that was produced by the son of FDR. It was while working in a musical that I met my next husband, an actor whom I would marry during the war. He specialized in playing second leads, and years later he became one of Hollywood's veteran character actors. It was during the war years that I received my one and only Oscar nomination. After some years, we divorced and my movie career waned. In the fifties I did some TV work, but I never had a show of my own. My next husband was a well known author, to whom I stayed married until his death. He wrote a novel that was turned into one of the greatest anti-war movies of all time. I attempted a comeback in the sixties, but it didn't last. After some more TV work, I retired in the seventies. Do you know me?

Yes, it's Paulette Goddard. Her life story reads like a Hollywood movie. Her mentor and Svengali was, of course, Charlie Chaplin. She married Burgess Meredith after working with him in "Second Chorus". She made "Pot o' Gold" which was produced by James Roosevelt. She was Oscar nominated for "So Proudly We Hail". She later married author Erich Maria Remarque, the author of "All Quiet On The Western Front". She died in Switzerland in 1990, leaving over twenty million dollars to New York University, who named a residence hall after her. Not bad for a girl who came form a broken home in New York, and who was working as a model at thirteen. The thread is yours!

I've always liked Paulette Goddard very much.Wish she had done more films.

I quit school when I was 13 to study music and painting but I was already trained in dance and theater.I performed on Broadway and in silent films. Later I became well known for 2 different roles as villians in film noirs. Then I appeared in a series of comedy films. A TV show years later was based on my title role. I was the inspiration for a cartoon character on a very popular and loved TV show. I was considered very elegant and I was always on The Best Dressed List.

Who am I?