Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Thank you - and here's another:

As a child I impressed with my musical talent, but a hand injury put an end to piano studies. I graduated from college and taught school until I married my first husband. I quit teaching to raise a family but when my marriage ended in divorce, I studied law and passed the bar.

When my parents died, I left the law to help run our dad?s business. I also was also on the radio at that time. I closed the family business when I married a very wealthy man. When he lost his fortune we moved to Los Angeles and opened a small business.

and here's more...

Once we were settled on the West Coast and the business was going, I auditioned for and won a role in a Pasadena Playhouse production. When I decided to continue working with the group, I changed my professional name to that of the first character I?d played on stage.

By the way, when I became an attorney back in my home state, I was the first woman attorney in the state - I was just 26!

Not many years later I was introduced to Alfred Hitchcock and was cast in my first major screen role. I made quite an impression!

I appeared in more than 60 films in less than 15 years. I also had a regular role on a sitcom and later made guest appearances on top-rated shows like ?I Love Lucy? and ?Our Miss Brooks.?

Indeed, I am Florence Bates!

(What an amazing life - first female attorney in the state of Texas at 26, hosted a radio show, ran an antiques business, married an oil baron who then lost everything, opened a bakery in LA and got a part at the Pasadena Playhouse, met Hitchcock and made a splash in *Rebecca* as the odious Mrs. Van Hopper - her film career was launched...and she has a great-granddaughter in the biz, actress/comedienne Rachel Hamilton.)

You're up, sellyoulloyd

Thanks, Eve. I'm not sure I can come up with one to stump you, but here's a try...

I began writing as a kid. However, at the age of 18 I turned to acting after growing a beard to make me look older and more credible. I was quite successful at light romantic comedy on stage, but I would be 44 years old before taking my first film role.

Message was edited by: sellyoulloyd (typo)

Early in my film career, I even ran my own production company. Circumstances beyond my control, however, including the loss of three of my siblings, forced major changes in my life. I then made a career move which led to my first hit film at the age of 58.

Within a year of that film I signed a contract with Warner Bros. My most famous character role came soon thereafter at the age of 59. Initially, I hated the part and turned the role down, but the film?s producer compromised with some of my requests so I took the job. I actually had more screen time than two of the principal characters.

You're tooo good at this, Eve..

I appeared in 30 more movies, including musicals and westerns, after that role. My last film was with Ann Blyth and Edmund Gwenn. Soon after filming, I had a heart attack and died. It was just ten days after my 72nd birthday. I am buried in Glendale, California, near Humphrey Bogart, Hal B. Wallis, and Max Steiner.

I was born with the name Gerő Jenő. Throughout my career, I went by the initials of the pen name (Szőke Szak?ll) I used when I was a young writer. The pen name translated means ?blonde beard.? I also earned a nickname (which I never liked) for my appearance and affable nature. _Yes, I am S.Z. ?Cuddles? Sakall._

The famous role which I nearly turned down was that of Carl, the head waiter in Casablanca (1942). The producer was Hal Wallis, and I was paid $5,250 for three weeks? work.

Remembering SZ Sakall:

*From Casablanca?*

_Banker_: ?Perhaps if you told him I ran the second largest banking house in Amsterdam.?

_Carl (SZ)_: ?Second largest? That wouldn't impress Rick. The leading banker in Amsterdam is now the pastry chef in our kitchen.?

_Banker_: ?We have something to look forward to.?

_Captain Renault_: ?Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies.?

_Carl_: ?I have already given him the best, knowing he is German and would take it anyway.?

Note?

Sakall left his native Hungary after losing his three sisters, as well as a niece and a brother-in-law, in Nazi concentration camps.

One of my favorite S.Z. Sakall roles is Felix, the chef, in *Christmas in Connecticut*. He, like several others in the cast, is unforgettable in *Casablanca*.

Thank you, sellyoulloyd, I'll be back with a person soon.

I was born in New England. My mother was an actress and my father owned a dept. store. I studied both dancing and acting and made my Broadway debut in my late teens. My film debut was auspicious. I worked with an award-winning director and a talented cast. This film is now considered a classic and most of its stars went on to have long, celebrated careers.

I was in demand and within a couple of years took a key role in a film that was something of a shocker in its time...many awards were won. I worked with some of the greats: Paul Newman, James Stewart, Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, Montgomery Clift, Richard Burton, Frank Sinatra, Jack Lemmon, Steve McQueen!

I was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar while still young and also received a Tony nomination and several Emmy nominations. I did win two Golden Globes.

Early in my film career I was considered "hot stuff" and was even touted at times as a Bridget Bardot rival. But, though I was a beauty, mine was of a more delicate type and I soon was given leading roles in crime thrillers, serious dramas and romantic comedies.

In the 70's I began doing more TV. But my film career wasn't over. I co-starred in a classic drama/horror/mystery thriller.