Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

It is Carol Haney...highly talented, good actress, but very poor health (diabetes) it brought about her very early death...great loss

You're up...

Thank you - and here's another:

As a child I impressed with my musical talent, but a hand injury put an end to piano studies. I graduated from college and taught school until I married my first husband. I quit teaching to raise a family but when my marriage ended in divorce, I studied law and passed the bar.

When my parents died, I left the law to help run our dad?s business. I also was also on the radio at that time. I closed the family business when I married a very wealthy man. When he lost his fortune we moved to Los Angeles and opened a small business.

and here's more...

Once we were settled on the West Coast and the business was going, I auditioned for and won a role in a Pasadena Playhouse production. When I decided to continue working with the group, I changed my professional name to that of the first character I?d played on stage.

By the way, when I became an attorney back in my home state, I was the first woman attorney in the state - I was just 26!

Not many years later I was introduced to Alfred Hitchcock and was cast in my first major screen role. I made quite an impression!

I appeared in more than 60 films in less than 15 years. I also had a regular role on a sitcom and later made guest appearances on top-rated shows like ?I Love Lucy? and ?Our Miss Brooks.?

No, I'm not Suzanne...

My specialty was the grande dame, snob, dowager type. *Rebecca* and *A Letter to Three Wives* are a couple of my classics.

Indeed, I am Florence Bates!

(What an amazing life - first female attorney in the state of Texas at 26, hosted a radio show, ran an antiques business, married an oil baron who then lost everything, opened a bakery in LA and got a part at the Pasadena Playhouse, met Hitchcock and made a splash in *Rebecca* as the odious Mrs. Van Hopper - her film career was launched...and she has a great-granddaughter in the biz, actress/comedienne Rachel Hamilton.)

You're up, sellyoulloyd

Thanks, Eve. I'm not sure I can come up with one to stump you, but here's a try...

I began writing as a kid. However, at the age of 18 I turned to acting after growing a beard to make me look older and more credible. I was quite successful at light romantic comedy on stage, but I would be 44 years old before taking my first film role.

Message was edited by: sellyoulloyd (typo)

While still a stage actor, my first wife died. After several years, I married Anne, and our marriage lasted until my death 35 years later.

Early in my film career, I even ran my own production company. Circumstances beyond my control, however, including the loss of three of my siblings, forced major changes in my life. I then made a career move which led to my first hit film at the age of 58.

Within a year of that film I signed a contract with Warner Bros. My most famous character role came soon thereafter at the age of 59. Initially, I hated the part and turned the role down, but the film?s producer compromised with some of my requests so I took the job. I actually had more screen time than two of the principal characters.

You're tooo good at this, Eve..

I appeared in 30 more movies, including musicals and westerns, after that role. My last film was with Ann Blyth and Edmund Gwenn. Soon after filming, I had a heart attack and died. It was just ten days after my 72nd birthday. I am buried in Glendale, California, near Humphrey Bogart, Hal B. Wallis, and Max Steiner.

I was born with the name Gerő Jenő. Throughout my career, I went by the initials of the pen name (Szőke Szak?ll) I used when I was a young writer. The pen name translated means ?blonde beard.? I also earned a nickname (which I never liked) for my appearance and affable nature. _Yes, I am S.Z. ?Cuddles? Sakall._

The famous role which I nearly turned down was that of Carl, the head waiter in Casablanca (1942). The producer was Hal Wallis, and I was paid $5,250 for three weeks? work.

Remembering SZ Sakall:

*From Casablanca?*

_Banker_: ?Perhaps if you told him I ran the second largest banking house in Amsterdam.?

_Carl (SZ)_: ?Second largest? That wouldn't impress Rick. The leading banker in Amsterdam is now the pastry chef in our kitchen.?

_Banker_: ?We have something to look forward to.?

_Captain Renault_: ?Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies.?

_Carl_: ?I have already given him the best, knowing he is German and would take it anyway.?

Note?

Sakall left his native Hungary after losing his three sisters, as well as a niece and a brother-in-law, in Nazi concentration camps.

One of my favorite S.Z. Sakall roles is Felix, the chef, in *Christmas in Connecticut*. He, like several others in the cast, is unforgettable in *Casablanca*.

Thank you, sellyoulloyd, I'll be back with a person soon.

my fav Cuddles roles are In the Good Old Summertime and Yankee Doodle Dandy. "Vy is Dietz's vife's money betta zan MY vife's money?"

I was born in New England. My mother was an actress and my father owned a dept. store. I studied both dancing and acting and made my Broadway debut in my late teens. My film debut was auspicious. I worked with an award-winning director and a talented cast. This film is now considered a classic and most of its stars went on to have long, celebrated careers.

No, not Paul Newman, though like him I did work on live TV in the 50's, "Studio One," etc.

I was in demand and within a couple of years took a key role in a film that was something of a shocker in its time...many awards were won. I worked with some of the greats: Paul Newman, James Stewart, Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, Montgomery Clift, Richard Burton, Frank Sinatra, Jack Lemmon, Steve McQueen!

I was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar while still young and also received a Tony nomination and several Emmy nominations. I did win two Golden Globes.

Early in my film career I was considered "hot stuff" and was even touted at times as a Bridget Bardot rival. But, though I was a beauty, mine was of a more delicate type and I soon was given leading roles in crime thrillers, serious dramas and romantic comedies.

In the 70's I began doing more TV. But my film career wasn't over. I co-starred in a classic drama/horror/mystery thriller.