Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Would you be Horst Buchholz, who was a sensation in the early 60's in *One, Two, Three* and *The Magnificent Seven* ??

Thank you, mr6666...I neglected to mention *Fanny*, another of Horst Buchholz's early 60-s films that created a buzz about him at the time.

I was born in the northeast but grew up further west. My father was a minister and mother had been a singer. No wonder I gravitated toward the stage! In fact, my first performance was in father?s church. Clearly having inherited traits from both of my parents, I sang in the chorus of an opera company for a time and developed a lifelong interest in religion.

Stage work was sporadic and I found my way to radio where I worked quite a lot. My earliest attempt to get into the movies was unsuccessful; I wasn?t the right type I was told, so I continued in radio. Interestingly, when I finally started making movies, I was honored with an Oscar nomination for my role in the second film I made.

I'm not Kate Smith - here's more about who I am:

That was just the first of a few nominations.

Later in life I had a very busy TV career, including many guest appearances (won an Emmy for one) and a regular role on a popular series, but my early film work is associated with one of Hollywood?s great directors who was also a versatile actor. He was quite the Renaissance Man, though his career had its ups and downs.

I did not die young, but my death is part of a controversy surrounding an ill-fated-in-every-way epic I appeared in during the 1950?s.

Agnes Moorehead -- supposedly one of the cancer-related victims of that *The Conqueror* filiming

location ??

Yes, I am Agnes Moorehead. I had a long and distinguished career, notably as a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theatre Group. I was also one of the cast and crew of *The Conqueror* who worked downwind from a nuclear test site during filming who later died of cancer. Controversy arose over whether proximity to the test site was responsible.

It's your turn!

Maybe this will entice someone in to figure out this person and post the next one...

I worked with Orson Welles twice, Hitchcock nine times, Truffaut twice and Scorsese once...who am I?????

I won one Oscar, was nominated for four (in one year for two different films in the same category). My first film was *Citizen Cane* and the last notable film I worked on (and one of my very last films) was *Taxi Driver*

I was a highly regarded classical musician who hit it big in the movies. Because of the period and the types of films I was used for, my performances bordered on Kitsch.

Actually, the multiple posts kind of work - I don't see how it can be anyone but James Shigeta - might as well say it many times!

Okay, here goes.

As with many of my contemporaries, I joined the armed forces, but in my case, I joined prior to the outbreak of World War II, intending to make that my career. But the acting bug bit me and, after the war, I used my GI Bill money to study acting and broke into movies playing one of the meanest guys you'll ever see. Interestingly, my two main claims to fame acting-wise are characters you might say are polar opposities of one another, and if I may say so, I played them both equally well.

Message was edited by: nightwalker to correct some typos

Neville Brand?? (impressive combat record, and also was involved in training film while still in the service.)

Yes, cmvgor, Neville Brand it is (sorry, myladyeve, although Jack Warden is a very good guess). I was always amused by the fact that Brand's (perhaps) two best known roles, Al Capone and Texas ranger Reese Bennett, were such opposite types.

The board is yours.

Thanks, nightwalker, but I'll pass. I just don't concentrate on the kind of offscreen info that works best on this thread. On the current question, I mentally flipped a coin, and Ned Beatty lost.

Consider the thread open, with my thanks.

cmvgor