Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

I was born in Texas to a career Army officer. We moved around the country and finally settled down in New York.

I attended one of "The Seven Sisters" colleges. After college I worked as a script reader.

I debuted on Broadway at the tender age of 20. It was a few years later that I made my first film, but in no time I was nominated for Best Actress. At the time I was considered to be one of the most beautiful women in movies.

Who am I?

more about "me"...

I specialized in what would be called "chick flicks" today. Though I was considered to be one of the most beautiful women in movies with my patrician features and long blonde hair (usually worn up), I was stereotyped as the ?good woman.? Within a few years my popularity began to fade. I married a symphony conductor and left the movies for a time.

I co-starred with Fredric March in my first film, playing his wife. In one of my last films, made nearly 30 years later, I played his wife on the big screen for the last time.

I'm not Florence Eldridge, though we were born in the same year!

I was Oscar-nominated for my fourth screen role, the lead in the Phillip Barry play *Holiday* - brought to the screen more than once. Not too many years later, Katharine Hepburn played the same role, Linda Seton, in the better known version of the film - but she didn't get an Oscar nomination for it!

I was established on Broadway when I signed a contract with Pathe - which soon became a part of RKO. As well as Fredric March, I starred with many other great leading men - Ronald Colman, Leslie Howard, Laurence Olivier, Robert Montgomery and William Powell, with whom I'd appeared on the stage.

No to Jeanette

3. After portraying a late great opera singer, I was signed to do a major film with story and music by a popular composer of operetta.

No to Marian....

3. I was ready for costume fittings, but finding that I had gained so much weight, the film was postponed, and another actor was signed to do the role...he lip-synced the songs.

I was born and raised in Kansas and got my start in the dramatic arts there. I studied under William Inge. My love of acting clashed with my family's religious beliefs and this led to rebellion on my part.

I made it to Broadway while in my 20's and appeared in some famous productions: "Anything Goes," "Red, Hot and Blue" and "Skylark." I made a few movies, but am best known for my work on TV.

I was in my 40's when I I finally "made it." I was fortunate enough to be cast in a supporting role on a hit series. Over the years I had a recurring role on another popular program and made one-shot guest appearances from time to time, but my main claim to fame is the one character that I played off-and-on for 25+ years (though the character's name changed as time went on).

Thanks...here's another one:

1. I was known for a particular part of my look that was a fashion statement of the day.

Good Guess, but not the shoulder pads...(same era, though)

2. I made a lot of mistakes throughout my career; the biggest being allowing my third rate director husband make all the decisions regarding scripts. After a while they stopped coming, after so many were declined, and my career went into decline.