Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Thanks...

I was very successful acting on radio (called "the greatest" by one who would know) - and won an Academy Award for my first film role.

No, I'm not Orson Welles, but it was Orson who called me "the greatest." I'm a woman with an unmistakable voice - and I used it to full effect in a blockbuster film many years after my heyday...

Yes, indeed...

(...LOVE her voice (not to mention her great ability as an actress - she's amazing in *All the King's Men* )...an interesting quote re: Joan Crawford after working with her in *Johnny Guitar*: "a mean, tipsy, powerful, rotten-egg lady." Of course, MM battled the bottle for years herself but eventually kicked the habit.)

good job...the thread is yours...

Thank you Lady Eve,

Please try this one.

I had a long career. I was successful on Broadway. My film career spanned 44 years going back to the early silent days. I retired for over ten years but returned during the sound era due to financial difficulties. I also did radio and television work. My last film was directed by John Ford.

Do you know me?

> {quote:title=RobinsHood wrote:}{quote}

> are you harry carrey sr.?

No, here is another clue.

I am a woman.

Dorothy Jordan?

Are you Mae Marsh?

No not me.

Here is another clue.

I was in my fifties when I played the role for which most people will remember me. People may not remember my name today but they usually remember that character.

I think you're Jane Darwell...

Maybe then; Olive Carey?

No, I'm not Jane Darwell. You must be thinking about Jane's role in *The Grapes of Wrath*. The role I am known for is from a film even more deeply etched in popular culture. I'm not Olive Carey either.

Here is another clue. I also had very a distinctive voice.

> {quote:title=theladyeve wrote:}{quote}

> No, no, no! I think it's *Billie Burke* !

Yes! You found me out! The John Ford clue was a bit of a red herring because I'm not normally associated with him. :)

Good work!

Your turn now.

Molo, great red herring - we all fell for it! What an excellent round of "Do You Know Me?" - would you like to post another one?

> {quote:title=theladyeve wrote:}{quote}

> Molo, great red herring - we all fell for it! What an excellent round of "Do You Know Me?" - would you like to post another one?

Thanks,

I don't have one off the top of my head. I might think of one later tonight though. Do you want to go ahead? I'll check back later. :)

Molo - come back anytime you're ready...I'll post something in the meantime...

My movie career was relatively brief, but I was a very big star. After a gap between roles of several years I made a few westerns and disappeared. Years later I resurfaced and was much celebrated.