Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Born early in the 20th century, I originally got into the acting just for the fun of it, while I was studying architecture. I went on to work with various stock companies. I was a conscientious objector in WWII, which created a rift with my family.

I starred in a popular film that made me an international star. I was considered to play James Bond in a 1950's TV adaptation of "From Russia With Love," but it was never produced.

I was nominated three times for an Oscar, but I never won.

That would be James Mason, I think.

Born in the U.K. in 1909, an avowed pacifist during the war, and was nominated for Oscars for "A Star is Born" (1954), "Georgy Girl" (1966) and "The Verdict" (1982).

Cheers,

Dan

Fast work, Dan - I didn't even get to Mr. Mason's mellifluous and mesmerizing voice (and matching looks) or his role in Kubrick's film of Nabokov's "notorious" *Lolita*...

Good work - this thread is yours...

( this Friday TCM pays tribute to James Mason on his birthday )

Message was edited by: theladyeve

Good work - this thread is yours...

Thanks, eve... but right now, I got nothing. The board is open.

Cheers,

Dan

Ok try this one....

In 1913 I came out to Hollywood and played in a popular comedy series.

In 1915, while making one of those series, I met my first wife who was a young actress at the time, but would soon become one of the biggest stars of the silent era.

Do you know me?

Are you Wallace Beery - who starred with Gloria Swanson in *Sweedie Goes to College* in 1915 and married her in 1916?

Are you Wallace Beery - who starred with Gloria Swanson in *Sweedie Goes to College* in 1915 and married her in 1916?

Sorry me lady, must have been a firewall issue, could not get on site.. but anyway, yes love you bloody got it, I'am Wallace Beery! Good show, your turn...

Thank you, Robin...

I began in movies in the 30's. I appeared in a series of shorts and later in a movie series. I had parts in a couple of A-pictures of the 1940's, one an award-winning classic.

I'm probably best known for my an acclaimed performance in a high-profile dramatic film and for my career on television. I was married twice; my second marriage ended badly.

Not Shirley or Peggy - I'm a guy.

I started as a child actor in the 30's and 40's and managed to make the transition to adult actor. I wasn't a child star, but appeared in a couple of "venerable" series and had speaking parts in at least two classics that are shown on TCM.

My "breakout" film role was in a much-nominated film of the 1960's. It made me famous and is still the film role I'm most known for.

In the 70's I moved to TV and starred in a popular series - and won an Emmy for it. This is the role with which I'm probably most identified since the series was a big hit and ran for several seasons. I garnered Emmy nominations for a couple of mini-series roles as well. My last film role was in a David Lynch film.

Not Dean Stockwell.

I sometimes played ethnic roles and was viewed as something of a "maverick" - also temperamental, volatile...

Though I'm associated with classic films (my "breakout" film is also shown on TCM) and a classic TV series, the scandalous end of my second marriage may overshadow my career.

Yes, I'm Robert Blake. Was in the Our Gang series and was Little Beaver to Red Ryder. Played John Garfield as a child in *Humoresque* and a young Mexican boy in *The Treasure of the Sierra Madre*. The "breakout" film was *In Cold Blood* and the TV series was "Baretta."

Good work - this thread now belongs to you...

II was a beautiful young MGM contract player. As my popularity rose, I was given supporting roles in major film and leads in a few lesser films I played opposite some of the greatest leading men of the time, among whom were Robert Taylor, Ronald Coleman and James Craig.

I married a young director and lived a relatively happy life until we went on a short holiday.

Hi Visualfeast.

I'm bumping this in case you missed my guess. :)

Hey, Molo...excuse my delay, my mouse died. It took a while got aquire another.

Yes, you are Susan Peters. The something that happened was she and her husband Richard Quine took a few days off over the Christman holidays to hunt. Somehow, Quine wound up shooting her in the spine, paralyzing her from the waist down.he spent the rest of her very short life in a wheelchair, making only one more film...THE SIGN OF THE RAM

Thanks Visualfeast. Sorry about your mouse!

Please try this one.

I was a star comedienne in vaudeville and toured all over the world.

I worked for years in Mack Sennett comedy shorts.

I am probably best remembered for some films I did in the late silent and early sound era.

My career went into decline after that but I had a small but showy part, years later, that gave me a boost. Unfortunately I died not long afterwards.