Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

*Are you thinking of Marie Dressler?*

No sorry. Funny you should mention Marie though.

I worked with her. :)

Are you Mae Clark?

No I'm not Mae.

Now I'm getting depressed. Maybe nobody remembers me. Dan was on the right track when he guessed Marie Dressler. I figured when you thought of her, you might just naturally think of me.

The film I did late in my career, that gave me a little boost was just a small bit in a courtroom scene but it got people's attention.

Are you Mae Clark?

No I'm not Mae.

Now I'm getting depressed

YOU're getting depressed? Hey, I've had a question up on the General Movie Trivia thread since May 13, and NOBODY has tried to answer it. I'm packing it in.

Cheers,

Dan

I was going to guess Louise Fazenda earlier, but I couldn't post a reply. Now, I think it's Polly Moran, with the courtroom scene being from "Adam's Rib". Is it Polly Moran?

> {quote:title=MilesArcher wrote:}{quote}

> I was going to guess Louise Fazenda earlier, but I couldn't post a reply. Now, I think it's Polly Moran, with the courtroom scene being from "Adam's Rib". Is it Polly Moran?

Yes thank you MilesArcher! You are right about the courtroom scene in Adam's Rib. I also teamed often with Marie Dressler in the late 20's and early 30's.

Here's a cute picture of myself with Marie:

marieandpolly.jpg?t=1243023769

Those were the days!

Your turn now. :)

Message was edited by: molo14

Thanks, Molo. Here's one you may know if you are a faithful viewer of TCM. I was an actress of some note in Hollywood's golden age. I had an affair with Hal Wallis, then the top producer at Warner Bros. He was married at the time to actress Louise Fazenda. She found out about it and put a stop to it, apparently threatening him with some severe financial penalties. They remained married until her death many years later. Hal Wallis came to be known around Hollywood as "The Prisoner Of Fazenda". My contract was not renewed by Warner Bros. I ended up working at other studios for the next five or six years, but my roles were getting smaller and eventually I retired. I have been the subject of numerous posts on these trivia boards, with most of them from the guy posting this. I guess that I'm more than just a footnote in movie history. Do you know me?

No, not Ann. Here's some trivia that probably won't help unless you have a copy of the movie, but in "The Cheap Detective" (1976) my name is referred to, if not verbally, then at least in writing. Also, one of my husbands, (I had a few), had been the boyfriend of Thelma Todd at the time of her death and was suspected of, but never arrested for, her murder. Rumor has it that on his death bed years later, he confessed to Thelma's murder to his friend, Chester Morris.

SCSU1975 got it. I am Lola Lane. My original name was Dorothy Mullican. My older sister, Leota, had gone to New York to find work in the theater and I joined her. An agent changed our last name to Lane and I changed my first name because I thought it would be more memorable. My affair with Hal Wallis, although it may have advanced my career at the time, turned out to be a mistake. One of my husbands,. writer/ director Roland West, had previously been a suspect in the Thelma Todd case, but there had never been enough evidence to arrest him. In the movie "The Cheap Detective", the address of Lionel Twain (I love that name), played by Truman Capote, was 22 Lola Lane, as shown on invitations. My sister Rosemary, who played my look alike in ":Hollywood Hotel" and had a very nice singing voice, was eight years younger than I. She ended up doing musical theater in New York, where I started, My sister Priscilla was a little younger than Rosemary. She ended up having the best movie career of all of us. SCSU, which I assume stands for Southern Connecticut State University, the thread is yours.

I'll take this one....

1. I was born in Glendale, California in 1930.

I was voted actor with the most promise in 1954.

My debut was in a highly prized film, loaded with "A" list actors.

I'm guessing Robert Francis - who starred with Humphrey Bogart, Fred MacMurray, Van Johnson and Jose Ferrer in *The Caine Mutiny*. I looked him up recently after seeing *The Caine Mutiny* for the first time in a long time, wondering "whatever happened to...". The news wasn't good - Francis was killed in 1955 when his private plane crashed. He was only 25, had made 4 films within about a year, might've been on the verge of breaking out. Who knows?

You're correct! Robert Francis was all set to become a big star when he went down in his plane. He had the right look, physically and he was a very good actor...you're up....

I was born in the upper midwest and got my start in show business in vaudeville, moving on to Broadway. My first films were made in the silent era, but I made the transition to sound and ended up making over 140 films in a long career. I also transitioned to TV and had my own sitcom for a while. I'm better known for a later supporting role in a long-running series.

Though I didn't like to talk about it much, I was once a professional boxer...TCM viewers might know me best as a prominent member of one trailblazing writer/director's "stock company." I uttered the final, memorable line, in one of his very best films...

I'm not Quinn, Frawley or Brown...though Frawley and I do have something very much in common...Brown's line is better known than mine, but TCM viewers have heard mine a few times, too:

"...positively the same dame..."