Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdb1

Do You Know Me?

I was a dancer and that's how I started. Later, one of my nicknames was "The Nose"...many copied it (surgically)...

No, No, Nanette (sorry, couldn?t resist)

At first I was typecast in parts alien to my natural looks and style. I was fortunate to break away from that. Later I was typecast in roles almost the direct antithesis of my first ?type.?

I bucked the studio system before either Bette Davis or Olivia de Havilland did, but that isn?t widely remembered about me.

My career spanned several decades but I was never awarded an Oscar. I made scores of hit films and was very popular with audiences. An equally popular male star nicknamed me ?Queenie.?

Message was edited by: theladyeve

Yes, I am!

(hi Lavendar - am reading Myrna's exceptional autobio, _Being and Becoming_ - and enjoying it in so many ways - learning much about beloved Myrna that I didn't know, it's also a great film history from the 20's forward - and there are comments interspersed by those who knew and worked with her - Loretta Young, Wm. Powell, Cary Grant - to name just a few)

It is your thread!

Message was edited by: theladyeve

evie- I've tried to post this a # of times. Playing beat the clock with my typing- Love her- one of my favorites. Want to read that book. Later with a question.

I come from a theatrical family. My great grandfather, my father and my mother were all performers. I was a leading actor and also known for my good looks. All 4 of my children have appeared in films. Who am I ?

Yes, of course I'm Tyrone Power. This is 3rd attempt at posting this. If I didn't have a lot going here, and the silly reply problems would be resolved I'd probably would have made the question more challenging. Did you see Cocoon? What a gorgeous son. A taller version of his dad. But there will never be another like him Loved him since I was a little girl. Good job, Eve, your turn

What I've been doing so I can post more than 15 words at a time is typing it in Word and then cutting and pasting to the reply. Big pain, I know, but the loop I get caught in when it won't let me post is murder!

Will be back with a new me...loved Tyrone. What a handsome man. Myrna Loy had wonderful things to say about him in her book...

Eve, what I've been doing now is posting quickly typo's and all, then editing a few times to add more on. What a pain this is. A lot of the fun of posting is gone.

Message was edited by: lavenderblue19

Agreed. I'm disappointed that this has been going on for over a month and though there have been some improvements as far as logging in are concerned, posting replies is hit-or-miss. I report it every time, but I would have thought the problems would be resolved by now.

Still have to think of a new me.

I was born in a Midwestern suburb. My dad was a stunt pilot who left when I was a baby. My mother, who had an alcohol problem, left me with my grandparents. They in turn took me with them when they moved in with my uncle, my mother?s brother. My uncle was a good man, decent and fair. I learned a lot from him. On my fourth birthday he gave me a red tricycle that was the beginning of my interest in one of my later hobbies. When I was eight my mother reclaimed me and I went to live with her and her new husband. I was dyslexic and partially deaf from a childhood illness and I didn?t adjust well to my new lifestyle. Not too much time passed before I was in a street gang and into petty crime.

Yes I am, and what a chaotic childhood I had! Thank God I became one of the biggest movie stars of my time - kind of balanced things out...

(the thread is yours...)

?In my early years in Hollywood, my friends and I were in some rather good movies, I thought. When a project came up, we each were given a role to showcase our talents. Afterwards, we started branching out on our own, and I was nominated several times for supporting roles, though I never won. I started to act on this new box, they call the tv. In fact, some say I was quite good in a very unusual performance for ?The Twilight Zone.? Towards the end of my life, I decided to be in a pilot for a tv show that I thought wouldn?t last. But, it helped to pay the bills. Then, I was in a movie directed by Dick and with that spitfire Susan and that gentleman John. That stinker took us all by surprise.?

?Who am I??

I had a lot of fun with that, but that is true that Agnes Moorehead didn't think Bewitched would be popular with viewers. The unusual performance for THE TWILIGHT ZONE was of course her non-speaking role where she had some unwelcome visitors in the form of aliens (who of course was us, and she was the alien on another planet.) And, about the movie referenced with the Duke and company, it was discovered years later that the site where they had been working was near an atomic testing site.

Your turn....

Message was edited by: allaboutlana

?Early on in my acting career, I portrayed a disbeliever. As I blossomed in the movies, I performed a striptease and had a dominating mother. In real life, I was married to a famous actor for 4 years, then divorced and got married to someone else, and then I remarried my first husband for 9 more years. I?ve always had a fear of water.?

?Who am I??

Though I trained to be a doctor, I quickly found myself on the stage and busily working in local area theater. I soon made my way to Broadway. Theater always remained my first love. I worked in silent films from the early days and began appearing in talking pictures from the early days of sound.

I was in a string of domestic farces during the 30?s in which an actress and I were teamed ? she playing the domineering wife with me as the mild-mannered husband.

In all I appeared in about 100 films. One was a screwball classic from the 30?s, another was a classic from the 60?s. I had my own TV series at the dawn of TV and also lent my voice to TV cartoons.

Who am I?