Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

The Queen of Technicolor- beautiful red headed Rhonda Fleming.I think I'm most impressed with Ms. Fleming's involvement in charitable causes. Women's Health Issues, A Resource Center for Cancer Patients, a Founding Member of the French Foundation for Alzheimers Disease. She helped build the Jerusalem Film Institute. The list goes on and on. Worthwhile to check her bio out.

The thread is yours.

Thanks. Here's one:

I was born in the Motor City, but my family moved to Illinois then New York City and back to Detroit where I graduated from high school. During WWII, it was back to New York again. There I worked to support my mother and sister and began doing comedy routines that let to regular performances at the Village Vanguard. I had a TV series of my own and appeared in several films. One that was never completed has a special place in Hollywood history.

Yes, I am Wally Cox. The unifinished film was "Something's Gotta Give," Marilyn Monroes last, the one from which she was fired not long before her death. I was a close friend of Marlon Brando's and he never forgave me for dying so young (48).

Good work, it's yours.

Thanks Eve.

I was born in Australia and I've been called the greatest classical actress Austrailia has ever produced. I starred on Broadway but my "unconvential looks" restricted me to supporting roles in Hollywood. I was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar

?I'm a workaholic. I love every movie I've been in, even the bad ones. I love to work. It's what keeps me going. But, I always regretted that in order to become an actor, I had to change my name. Being so proud of my heritage, I insisted, when I starred in a movie or on TV, that a character carry my family name.

Born to a Czech mother and a Serbian father in Chicago, I did not speak English until I was in kindergarten. After graduating from high school in the nearby steel town of Gary, Indiana, I worked in the industry for three years until 1934, when I left to attend a teacher's college, then a dramatic school.

Three years later, I went to New York City, where I rapidly became involved with the Group Theater. My performances attracted the attention of a fledgling director, who I would have the good fortune to work with on several great films, which were based on plays originally. My Oscar, as best supporting actor, came from one such collaboration with him. One project was extremely controversial. The Legion of Decency, an organization of the Roman Catholic Church in the US, condemned the film as immoral, and despite the efforts of the director, were able to get it withdrawn from release.

In my personal life, 2008 marked my 70th wedding anniversary making my marriage the third longest marriage in Hollywood history.

From 1972 to 1977, I was on a tv program, where I had a great partner and together we tried to keep law and order in a big city. I was seen by many Americans on a long-running commercial. My only Emmy was from a 1984 tv-movie based on a John Gay novel.

I have been very fortunate to have worked in this industry . I never thought I was salable. I learned I was a character actor and not a leading man. So I thought, I'd better be the best character actor around.

Who am I??

Message was edited by: allaboutlana

Thanks, finance.

I left home at 17 to join a stock company. Later I worked in a circus and then in vaudeville. I did very well and decided to retire to Long Island in 1928, even though I wasn't very old. In 1929, the stock market crashed and I had my savings wiped out. I had to go to work. Vaudeville was about dead. Talking pictures were all the rage, so I used some show biz connections and went to California and got into the picture business. I never had leading man looks, so I played a variety of character parts. For some reason, I was cast in western after western, even though I had never ridden a horse before, and didn't even care much for westerns. It was the time of the great depression and I was happy just to be working. The good thing about westerns was that many of them were made as series with recurring characters, which meant steadier work. After playing villians, bartenders, storekeepers, and other character parts, I finally landed a role where I could play the same character in picture after picture. Even though the character's name changed as I changed studios, I basically played the same role for the next fifteen to twenty years and almost two hundred pictures. I was in my forties when I started in movies playing "older" than I really was. By the time my career was over. I had eased right into the right age bracket for my character. Do you know me, or would you like another clue?

No to Chris Pin-Martin, although we did work at about the same time. I'll give you a clue. In the fifties, I hosted a television show for a few years, although I didn't actually appear in any of the stories. And no, I'm not the old ranger from "Death Valley Days".

No, not Smiley, but that was a very good guess. My tv show was sponsored by Quaker Oats, makers of puffed wheat and puffed rice. "They're Shot From Guns!" was their slogan and the commercials showed cannons exploding as the theme from the 1812 Overture was playing. If you were a little buckaroo watching tv around 1954 to 1956, you might remember. Oh, I think I just gave another clue!