Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Right as rain, Roy, er, I mean Fred. He also used phrases like "dad gummit!" or "durn persnicktety women!". Often imitated but never duplicated, George "Gabby" Hayes was in reality well groomed and well spoken. He movie persona was the complete opposite of his real personality. He appeared in several of the early Hopalong Cassidy movies before landing the recurring role of Hoppy's pal, Windy Haliday. When he left Paramount to go to Republic Studios he played the same basic character but with a different name, usually Gabby Whitaker. He had worked with John Wayne at Lone Star in the early thirties and now worked with him many more times. He also worked with Gene Autry and many other cowboy stars, but he is best remembered for working with Roy Rogers in about forty pictures. In fact, in "The Dark Command"(1940), he starred with both John Wayne and Roy Rogers. Gabby had a different role in all the Roy Rogers pictures. He played ranchers, lawmen, judges, showmen and even a doctor. He even once played the father of Dale Evans. His last movie was "The Cariboo Trail" with Randolph Scott in 1950. He then went into television until finally retiring for good in 1956. Tell me, Fred, did you remember the TV show, where he referred to the kids watching as the "little buckaroos", or did you get it from the other clues? The thread is yours.

Message was edited by: MilesArcher

Miles,Sorry for the delay. Yes I remember Gabby's show and the little buckaroos, also when he referred to something he always added "In the U.S.of A. and Texas". I worked with Roy Rogers once when I was at ABC in Hollywood. That was a real thrill, he was one of the guest on the old "Hollywood Palace" Dale was with him but she didn't want to appear on the show so she just sat in the audience seats doing rehearsels Once when we took a break I went over to her and was telling her how much I thought of Roy and her and growing up with their movies and TV shows. I mentioned Gabby and she started laughing and told me how much everyone loved the old rascal and how he was always dressed to the nines and loved to go out on the town . One of the best film he was in was "Tall in the Saddle" with John Wayne and Ella Raines. Like I said in an earlier thread, that was a very sexy "B" western for the 40's, they never had a real sexy co star with the lead cowboy in those days.

Well speaking of Westerns. Name the first or one of the first Film Noir Westerns and the Director and the Hero and the Bad Guy all had the same first name in real life

Terrific Film...

Message was edited by: fredbaetz

?I was the second of three boys born in Brooklyn to an Irish chief of police. All three of us would become stars in our own right. Even though I was the more active and prolific than my brothers, being in movies and tv from 1948 to 1984, I was somewhat overshadowed by my older brother?s tough-guy persona in the movies and his temper out of them. I got into trouble, too, but I didn?t lose my cool and knew when to shut up. Because of my older brother?s fame, I did change my name so I wouldn?t be known only as his younger brother. In fact, some say I?m even better looking than him. Our younger brother had more fame outside of America. I was fortunate to be in several movies that have a cult following, one western in particular that was made in the 50s. In the 60s and 70s, I practically made a career of starring in offbeat movies. In fact, my last movie was a creepy and campy highlight of the 1980s.?

?Do you know me, and have you heard of my brothers?

Message was edited by: allaboutlana

If you know me, then you really know your movie actors because I was in over a hundred movies and rarely received screen credit. In the late 1920's, I was working in New York in the music business as a guitar player, songwriter, and singer. I met a young fellow from Texas named Gene Autry, who was trying to break in to the business. I worked with him, mentored him, and helped him get some recording jobs. He went on to a national radio show in Chicago where he met and worked with Smiley Burnette. When Gene got the call to go to Hollywood and make pictures, he brought Smiley and me along. Smiley became a big star as Gene's sidekick, but Gene found small roles in his films for me. Often I would play a ranch hand or a background musician, but I appeared in almost every Gene Autry picture. If I had a name in the pictures, it was usually "Shorty" or "Hank" or some other forgettable name. Gene, Smiley, and I also wrote songs for the pictures. Some of them were recorded by Gene and other artists as well. When Gene did his TV series in the 50's, he put me in a bunch of episodes, usually playing a townsman or a henchman. His production company also made other TV series, and I got to appear in them as well. Although very few people know my name. I appeared in more Gene Autry pictures than Smiley Burnette. Gene was indeed very loyal to his friends. Do you know me?

Message was edited by: MilesArcher

I did research it, but I still wasn't sure about it, because I thought there could be others like him that Mr. Autry helped out.

But I did have this ready:

?I was born in the great state of Arkansas and proud of it. I went to a teachers' school, but had to drop out, on account of I ran out of funds. I joined a theatre company up north with those crazy Yankees and made it to New York City, where I acted on Broadway and all around. I got me a part that pretty much suited me, in the leading role in ?Tobacco Road.? I acted in some of those movies they make in Hollywood for a while. What they can do to a studio! I returned to stage work briefly, but returned to Hollywood and made a long career of playing straight-shootin? no-nonsense characters, who were sometimes smarter than those who got their name in the credits first. Why should they get all the attention?! I made such an impression I was nominated for an Oscar for a movie shot in the great outdoors and for a hard-workin? director. When Percy quit being Pa Kettle, I helped out on the farm. I dabbled in tv, too, the westerns, of course. The best things happen outdoors.?

?Do you know me??

Message was edited by: allaboutlana

You are correct. It?s your turn.

(I know you probably think I left you, but it just amazes me how I can be posting and everything?s working, and then BAM!, it?s offline or something. Right after I saw your post, I tried to respond and it wouldn?t post and went into ?redirect?, which means it?s tied up again. Sorry, it took so long for me to get back to you.)

Okay, here's one that shouldn't be too difficult. I was a child performer in movies. I could sing and dance, and I was quite adept at comedy. I was in some very successful films. I worked with all the greats of the day. I appeared with people like W. C. Fields, Bing Crosby, Gary Cooper, Kate Hepburn, Clark Gable, Mickey and Judy, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, and Lucille Ball. While working in a picture with Jimmy Stewart, I sang a song that is now considered by some to be a minor classic. It had previously been done by a very funny fellow. I often played the child or the younger sibling of the star. I was never as cute as Shirley Temple, or as popular as Jane Withers. When I got to my mid-teens, my career seemed to stall. I left the movie business at age sixteen and started to perform in live shows where I could showcase my musical talents. That didn't last long. I got married at a fairly young age and never went back to show business. I never watched any of my old movies and I would not talk about them in interviews. I died at age forty-one from a heart condition. Do you know me?

Yes, it is Virginia Weidler. "Lydia The Tattooed Lady" had been sung by Groucho Marx a year earlier in "The Marx Brothers At The Circus". Apparently Virginia was like a lot of other child stars. Once they get past that young, cute stage, audiences don't embrace them the same way, and they have trouble being accepted in adult roles. We've all heard similar stories. Lavenderblue, the thread is yours.

I started my career on the radio. I appeared 100's of times on television.I've had many recording hits, have appeared live onstage and have appeared in films. I was 12 years old when I made my first film. Another film featured an all star cast and was directed by a very well known and respected director. I was in a film with an actress who was a leading lady and famous dancer. My career had it's ups and downs, but lasted over 35 years. Who am I?

I figured that one would go down quickly. You did it without the obvious clues of the Nelson's fame, his children in the business and ex brother in law Mark Harmon. Of course he was an enormous teen idol and heartrob (one of mine). OK, finance, see what you can do with the next round.

I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, where my father owned a hardware store. I studied architecture at an Ivy League university, and became interested in acting through the university's theater group, where I was mentored by a fellow student who became a well-known theater and film director.

I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, where my father owned a hardware store. I studied architecture at an Ivy League university, and became interested in acting through the university's theater group, where I was mentored by a fellow student who became a well-known theater and film director.