Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

Do You Know Me?

I was born in Missouri in the year 1917. My father was a meal-company laborer, and my mother a stenographer. When I was 11 I moved to southern California only for two years. My first job in the movies was in 1932. I played mainly minor roles until I made a film in 1939 about a newspaper reporter. After that I got married to someone everybody here has heard of.

Do You Know Me?

?I have been truly blessed to have a long career in the entertainment industry. I didn?t really make a name for myself in movies, but I did get the chance to make a movie with John Wayne in 1969. You can find me lately in supporting roles in indie films and family-oriented projects. I have been in tv since 1954 and was seen consistently on a lot of popular tv shows in the ?50s and up to the ?80s. Though some might remember me as a popular villainess of the 1960s, I was never on the hip tv show as the villainess, but instead as a character named Lisa Carson. My most profitable show at the time was a very successful one that ran for seven seasons in the 1970s. I have been working since 1996, on a daytime drama, where I took over the role of a family matriarch. I was born and raised in California where I won several pageants. I was on the first live telecast of Miss America, where I was given the honor of wearing the crown.?

Do you know me?..and did you know that one of my ancestors can be found in any book of American history??

?I am Lee Meriwether, who was Miss America in 1955 when the first live telecast aired. I played Catwoman on the 1960s Batman movie, because Julie Newmar was contractually obligated to another project. And, I was on the ?Barnaby Jones? tv show in the 70s. I am currently on ?All My Children? as Ruth Martin, a character who has been there since the beginning, and I am related to Meriwether Lewis, the 19th century explorer and later governor of the Louisiana Territory.?

Your turn.

I was born in 1917 in Brooklyn. My Father died in an accident, and my mother remarried, giving me another last name. I was a natural actress and excelled in acting classes. After moving around a lot, we finally settled down in Beverly Hills, where I continued my acting classes.

no to Susan Hayward

2. I was discovered in one of these classes and put under contract. I appeared in a few low-budger films as a teenager, then I was given two important parts in the same year. One proved my acting ability and went on to become a classic. I got a lot of roles after that, and quickly became a favorite, especially teamed with another favorite newcomer.

Thanks. I also had a disputed birth year due to a studio publicist, but I really was born in New York in 1899 to a fairly well to do family. I was not a real good student and was expelled from a prep shool for some immature antics. I joined the navy in World War I. My studio bio says that I saw action in the north atlantic and was hit in the lip by schrapnel during an attack, which led to a scar and a distinctive speech pattern for the rest of my life. After the war, I renewed my friendship with a guy whose father was a Broadway producer. He got me into acting, first on stage and then in films when the great depression hit and Broadway was suffering. My friend had a sister who was an actress. She later won an academy award. I became friends with Spencer Tracy, and I was in his first movie. My career flounderd for a while, until I got to play a gangster in a play that became a movie. My tough guy persona was born. Do you know me, and do you know my friend's actress sister?

Humphrey Bogart is correct. His friend was named Bill Brady. Brady's sister was Alice Brady, who won a supporting actress Oscar for "In Old Chicago". She was not present to accept it, so a man walked up and accepted it for her. That was the last that was seen of the man or the statuette. By the time the academy got around to replacing her Oscar, she had died. Finance, the thread is yours.

Oh, by the way, Bogart's film with Spencer Tracy was "Up The River" in 1930. It was "The Petrified Forest" in 1936 that changed his film image. Alice Brady played Aunt Hortense in "The Gay Divorcee" with Fred and Ginger in 1934. She also played the mother of Carole Lombard in "My Man Godfrey" in 1936.

Message was edited by: MilesArcher

I was born in Canada in the 19th Century. I studied engineering, but was drawn to the stage and was successful in vaudeville. Becuse of financial needs, I abandoned the stage and worked as an engineer for 3 years. I later starred in 2 Broadway plays, but left for the movies upon the advent of sound. I occasionally returned to Broadway, where I scored a triumph in a role I later recreated on screen and for which I won the best actor award from the NY Film Critics. I later won a supporting actor Oscar, and died 2 years later. Who am I?

I was born in Canada in the 19th Century. I studied engineering, but was drawn to the stage and was successful in vaudeville. Becuse of financial needs, I abandoned the stage and worked as an engineer for 3 years. I later starred in 2 Broadway plays, but left for the movies upon the advent of sound. I occasionally returned to Broadway, where I scored a triumph in a role I later recreated on screen and for which I won the best actor award from the NY Film Critics. I later won a supporting actor Oscar, and died 2 years later. Who am I?

Message was edited by: finance

?I was born in New York City and early on I wanted to be a dancer, but soon changed my mind to acting. So, after high school, I studied acting. Meanwhile I found some acting jobs in some off-Broadway productions. I found work in between acting as a showroom model and a theatre usher. I was so successful as a model, I graced the cover of a very fashionable magazine. That led to my discovery by a famous director?s wife. He liked me but thought my voice was too nasal. So, I developed it and today I am known for it. On my first movie experience, I found the love of my life. We were one of Hollywood?s most celebrated couples, and we made four movies together that are considered classics today. My closest friends call me by my real first name. When my husband died, I was devastated. But I?m a survivor. I?ve worked with a lot of great actors in my career, but I still prefer him. Acting is nice work. But it?s even better with my husband?s help.?

?Do you know me??

?I am Lauren Bacall. I was at one time on the cover of Harper?s Bazaar. Howard Hawks? wife saw me on the cover, and the rest, as they say, is history. Then, I made ?To Have and Have Not? with my future husband, Humphrey Bogart, and would make three pictures more with him. Years after Bogie?s death, I would marry Jason Robards, but ?Key Largo,? ?Dark Passage,? ?The Big Sleep,? and ?To Have and Have Not? has kept Bogie and I in the hearts of our fans and is our gift to them.?

Your turn.

Message was edited by: allaboutlana

Thanks Lana.

"I was born in 1882 in London, England, although some reports have me listed as being born in Scotland. I am of Scottish descent and chose to serve as a trooper in the 10th Hussars in the Boer War. It was during my time in the military that I crossed paths with Winston Churchill at the start of his political career.

In 1906, I decided to come to America and it was during the sea crossing that my life took a decided turn. While singing during a concert on board ship, I was discovered by opera impresario, John Fisher, who immediately offered me a job with his company. It was while touring with the company, that I got the theatre bug. During my theatre years I worked with the likes of George M. Cohan and became good friends with D.W. Griffith, a fellow actor who wanted to become a director. Together we headed for Hollywood.

I worked in Hollywood during the silent era as both an actor and a director and even had one of my first leading roles in one of D.W. Griffith?s films. My acting career took off when sound came to the motion picture industry. I abandoned directing and focused solely on acting. I became a highly sought after character actor working constantly in the 1930s and 40s. In fact, I was in seven of the movies during what is now known as Hollywoods Greatest Year.

In my later years I became a Hollywood powerbroker, becoming one of the most influential men in the industry. In fact at one point I wielded more power than most directors, producers and studio executives.

An actor with a long and distinguished career, I acted in movies well into my eighties.

Who am I?

Message was edited by: rhodag