Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

I was born in NYC. My parents were both actors, and I joined their stock company in Oakland. after service in the Spanish-American War. I began performing on Broadway after WW I service, and wrote a number of plays and musicals in the 1920s. I began regularly appearing in films in 1928, soon establishing myself as one of the best-liked character players of the American screen, portraying mostly big city types--cops, robbers, reporters, gamblers, and fight managers--with a heart of gold behind an ill-tempered facade. I played a recurring lead as a slow-witted police inspector in a series of mystery films of the '30s, and in all appeared in about 150 films. My wife also played character roles in films.

Message was edited by: finance

not Tippi

3. This character first dazzled me. I thought he could do wonders for my career; but as time word on I realized he wanted to possess me, not get me good roles. After a while he was a frightening presence in my life...even ruining my first marriage.