Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

No, not Diana.

I wasn't born in England, but was educated there. I married twice, first to an Englishman, an actor who played elegant Englishmen, second, to an American actor who always played lovable lugs.

I did much stage work in America before breaking into the movies.

I'm from a show business family. I'm originally from Iowa. I had two older sisters who worked on the stage in New York where they changed their last name. In fact, my sister Dorothy also changed her first name. I was eight years younger than Dorothy, who I strongly resembled. While in my teens, I teamed with my younger sister in a singing act. We worked with Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians touring and doing radio shows. I was the ballad singer, while my sister did the swing numbers. Dorothy had started making movies and she got us auditions at her studio. We were both signed to seven year contracts, changing our last name to match our older sister's. I specialized in musicals, although I also did some serious dramas. I played the female lead in one very successful movie with Dorothy, which used our resemblance to advantage in a mistaken identity story where the leading man gets us confused with one another. The same studio also used the Mauch twins for some mistaken identity stories like "The Prince And The Pauper". My younger sister had the best movie career of all of us, appearing in several "A" list films over the years. When my contract was up, I left Hollywood for the New York musical stage. Do you know me? I know that theladyeve knows who I am. Maybe she could hold off answering for a bit to see if someone else can get it. Let me know if you would like more clues.

Yes, It's Rosemary Lane, probably the least known of the sisters, but probably the best singer. Rosemary and Lola starred in "Hollywood Hotel" in 1937 with Dick Powell. Rosemary got to sing a very nice song with Dick called "I'm Like A Fish Out Of Water" as they strolled barefoot through a fountain at the hotel. "Hollywood Hotel" had a lot of the same plot elements that were later used in "Singin' In The Rain". Younger sister Priscilla had the best movie career, appearing in Hitchcock's "Saboteur" with Robert Cummings, and "Arsenic And Old Lace" with Cary Grant. Nice work, Lana, the thread is yours!

?I was born into a big family in Mississippi, headed by a Baptist minister. I studied business administration after high school, but soon I set my sights on Hollywood. Getting odd jobs to make money, my boss at a gas station believed in me and helped pay my way. I was successful in theatre groups and even acted in a play with a future costar about the life of Gilbert and Sullivan, which eventually led a to a movie contract. I was gifted with a good singing voice, but wasn?t asked to sing in a celebrated musical. They didn?t ask me to sing. Maybe, they figured with my good looks, I couldn?t sing, too. I didn?t mention it because I felt whoever they got to dub me needed the job. I?ve been in all kinds of movies, like westerns (one of my most remembered roles came from a western early on in my career), war pictures, and film noir. My most famous films were in these genres. Gene Tierney was a frequent costar. I was even in campy movies of the sixties, one of which inspired a 1980s film. (I became the least desirable person people would want in the pilot?s seat.) I would become president of Screen Actors Guild. When the movie style changed in the sixties and seventies, I openly opposed this supposed realistic display of showing everything. I fell victim like many others to addiction to alcohol, but I later made steps to recovery and even tried to help others by talking about it, when the subject was taboo. I retired from acting and went into real estate. Now that?s where the money is.?

?Do you know me??

I was born in South America, of British and American descent. I began my show business career as a radio announcer, band vocalist, and film bit player. I became a highly successful nightclub and recording artist in the '40s, and was signed to a movie contract by a major studio, but never really clicked as a film star. Componding my setbacks were severe marital and immigration problems. My 6 marriages and 5 divorces proved a constant drain on my finances. One of my wives was one of America's leading film stars. I was a resident of Ireland from the mid-'60s, and made a modest comeback in the US in nightclubs and TV.

I have always been very cute and continue to be in my 70's. I made a big splash in a 50's television series and as a result broke into movies, recording, and later, got an award for my stage work on Broadway. I'm one sharp cookie and nobody's fool...except for one unfortunate marriage.